Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Need some advice. Now I need a new router, this time no real budget (keep it under $300 tho c'mon now). Needs to have insane range and be able to walk through walls. Internet at this place is pushing 100mbps.

Also I think I'll prob need an extender or some way to extend the WiFi range to the other end of the house.

Nighthawk setup the best to go with? Any specific suggestions?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Go back not even 2 pages.

So ubiquiti is actual name of company. My bad Mist. That one's on me. Thanks for info.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist . Looking at ubiquiti. Not sure you'd have the input or answer, but I need something that's developer friendly. Looks like they have an app to configure the router which is a bonus. I imagine it has all the same perks as a nighthawk or nice router.. just need to set some static IP addresses.

It would be nice to be able to access my Nas outside my network somehow as well. Long story short, are there any sacrifices with ubiquiti over a high end nighthawk? Any bonuses (other than hardware quality and specs)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also, should I not be using the router modem supplied by my cable company? This one is a dual router/wifi (with WiFi disabled)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ok this shit is cool. Just stumbled upon teleport.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Also, should I not be using the router modem supplied by my cable company? This one is a dual router/wifi (with WiFi disabled)

Some routers work with different ISPs, some don't. The best thing is to check your Isp forums and see what routers people have got working. Or check routing forums and see what routers people have managed to get working.

You can bridge 2 routers or set one to modem mode only and use a 2nd if you absolutely require the features on a specific router.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Some routers work with different ISPs, some don't. The best thing is to check your Isp forums and see what routers people have got working. Or check routing forums and see what routers people have managed to get working.

You can bridge 2 routers or set one to modem mode only and use a 2nd if you absolutely require the features on a specific router.
Gotcha. Probably best to grab a ubuiqiti mesh setup and see how it works with current modem first I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am a proponent of buying your own modem and own router. First of all, you're paying a monthly lease on their equipment and secondly it's very locked down.

If you're on comcast there's a million options - I use a motorola DOCSIS3.1 modem with an Asus AC-1900 something or other. I have the Asus flashed with DD-WRT and can configure it however I like. Ubiquiti is a great brand, and it's all anyone in IT ever recommends. The nighthawk stuff is good, but I wonder if you're paying more for looks/brands than customizations.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Went with a Netgear cm600 and ubuiqiti setup. Should prob have researched ubiquiti more bit everyone seems to love it and really all I need to be able to do is setup static IP address on local network which I'm sure it can do.

So fucking stoked. Going from 20mbps to 100mbps.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm that one IT guy who doesn't like Ubiquiti. Their equipment is fine and all - it works and they seem to have good quality control - but goddamn do I hate their software. I have ASUS ac68u routers and they have been great. I used to be a Netgear guy, but their quality control went into the shitter.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
but goddamn do I hate their software

Insert obligatory "use CLI or gtfo scrub" here.

Serious question though -- how does it compare to Cisco's abortion of a UI on their various devices? The ASA UI is half decent, but the Aironet web interface is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, there's dd-wrt level shit, and then there's Cisco Aironet. It's the Lord of Shit UI.

Great AP, when it's set up and working. Absolute shit experience. No one buys them for home use, though, they're way too expensive. I got mine for free from someone who was done testing with it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Insert obligatory "use CLI or gtfo scrub" here.

Serious question though -- how does it compare to Cisco's abortion of a UI on their various devices? The ASA UI is half decent, but the Aironet web interface is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

It's not really the UI that I dislike, it's more the fact that they give you options that have a well defined meaning in the networking world, but do their own slightly different thing when you actually configure it. For example, they allow you to have dual WANs and they allow you to route your traffic out of either WAN (or rather set it up in the UI), but they don't actually route any traffic out of the other WAN, unless of course the first WAN is down. Or they'll let you configure VLANs, but seem to have no concept of a native VLAN - or rather every ports native VLAN is the default, so you have to tag traffic on every client.

Granted, these are larger network problems, but I imagine they probably do some silly "you didn't really mean that," type of shit on their small net equipment too. I prefer my ASUS, it's clunky, but what I set is what I get.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user