Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Couple of questions... I'm pretty sure not, but having multiple mini switches around the house where I've ran hardwired connections isn't a problem?

Also, I want to add an AP off one of these mini switches, so the mini switch would have my Steam Link, Ps4, and an AP. I've never hooked up an additional AP, but the signal in the back of my house where I've been able to run this ethernet cable is just really bad, and want to get a Ubiquiti AP. Are they plug and play? I assume I have to tell it what SSID to broadcast, and I can do that just logging into it via IP?

Edit: Looks like it comes with software and I just access it via that after I connect it to my network? This is the one I'm looking at, should be fine? Maybe it'll be even good enough I can turn off my routers wifi, and just have it going through the AP?

Last edited:

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Couple of questions... I'm pretty sure not, but having multiple mini switches around the house where I've ran hardwired connections isn't a problem?

Also, I want to add an AP off one of these mini switches, so the mini switch would have my Steam Link, Ps4, and an AP. I've never hooked up an additional AP, but the signal in the back of my house where I've been able to run this ethernet cable is just really bad, and want to get a Ubiquiti AP. Are they plug and play? I assume I have to tell it what SSID to broadcast, and I can do that just logging into it via IP?

Edit: Looks like it comes with software and I just access it via that after I connect it to my network? This is the one I'm looking at, should be fine? Maybe it'll be even good enough I can turn off my routers wifi, and just have it going through the AP?

Rule of thumb for switches is to not have to pass through more than 2 for end points to communicate. So you could have router/fw > switch > ethernet drops > switches at each ethernet drop.

Regarding Ubiquiti APs, you need to run a Windows computer with the Unifi Network Controller software to set it up. If you don't already have a switch, you may consider getting a cheap wifi router that has switch ports built in and run it in bridge mode. As for turning off your main wifi, you'll probably have the same issue you're having now, with little coverage, but at the opposite end (where you have good coverage now). There's also the AC Pro or AC In Wall, which have 2 ports, 1 functioning as a switch port so you could plug in the heavy bandwidth using device to that and run the other off of the WiFi.

Crone

Rule of thumb for switches is to not have to pass through more than 2 for end points to communicate. So you could have router/fw > switch > ethernet drops > switches at each ethernet drop.

Regarding Ubiquiti APs, you need to run a Windows computer with the Unifi Network Controller software to set it up. If you don't already have a switch, you may consider getting a cheap wifi router that has switch ports built in and run it in bridge mode. As for turning off your main wifi, you'll probably have the same issue you're having now, with little coverage, but at the opposite end (where you have good coverage now). There's also the AC Pro or AC In Wall, which have 2 ports, 1 functioning as a switch port so you could plug in the heavy bandwidth using device to that and run the other off of the WiFi.
Cool, I'll be good on the switches then. I have a regular consumer home router, from Linksys with of course the switch ports on it. Believe it has 4. One of the ethernet drops where I want to put the Ap is at the end of this drop, but via mini switch.

So it'll be router, ethernrt drop, mini switch, ap. Hooked to that same mini switch will be a ps4 and steam link. Should work.

I got the ap linked above. Will see what kind of coverage it provides. If I can turn off the router wifi I will but pribably just leave it on because why not.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Cool, I'll be good on the switches then. I have a regular consumer home router, from Linksys with of course the switch ports on it. Believe it has 4. One of the ethernet drops where I want to put the Ap is at the end of this drop, but via mini switch.

So it'll be router, ethernrt drop, mini switch, ap. Hooked to that same mini switch will be a ps4 and steam link. Should work.

I got the ap linked above. Will see what kind of coverage it provides. If I can turn off the router wifi I will but pribably just leave it on because why not.

Sounds like it will work fine.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Do you usually have the ap broadcast a different ssid?

Generally no because you want them to handoff to the strongest AP.

But... I do with mine as I've found the best performance in having separate 5ghz / 2.4ghz networks. I have an upstairs and downstairs 5ghz network and then one whole house 2.4ghz network. I put all of my roaming devices on the 2.4ghz as it's strong enough to cover the whole house with no dead spots and all of my fixed devices on the 5ghz that is in their respective areas. So I have 3 SSIDs.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Generally no because you want them to handoff to the strongest AP.

But... I do with mine as I've found the best performance in having separate 5ghz / 2.4ghz networks. I have an upstairs and downstairs 5ghz network and then one whole house 2.4ghz network. I put all of my roaming devices on the 2.4ghz as it's strong enough to cover the whole house with no dead spots and all of my fixed devices on the 5ghz that is in their respective areas. So I have 3 SSIDs.

Smart. I’ve run specific ssids for stationary WiFi devices so they always pick a particular AP, which they sometimes fail to fall back on during power outages or AP firmware upgrades. WiFi can be tedious.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Networking questions.
TV wifi sucks on my sammy, network drops in streaming apps daily. Thinking of wirering it with a switch along with ps4 and chromecast ultra at the spot. Would an Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini be okay for this?

Network atm is small: sagemcom router (wifi disabled), cabled to google wifi (mesh) - cabled to the Uviquiti switch. Wifi from the google to ipads etc minus the tv/ps4/chromecast ultra.

I should test if a direct cable from tv to google wifi helps first, but it’s pissing me off, wife bugs me with it. Might just be the tv sucking in total. But it’s nice to have netflix/hbo/prime aps run on it for wife. Thoughts?

Oh, google wifi speed test says sammy tv gets around 100mb atm, vs ipads 300+ mbit. Hence me hoping a cable would improve it / more stable.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Networking questions.
TV wifi sucks on my sammy, network drops in streaming apps daily. Thinking of wirering it with a switch along with ps4 and chromecast ultra at the spot. Would an Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini be okay for this?

Network atm is small: sagemcom router (wifi disabled), cabled to google wifi (mesh) - cabled to the Uviquiti switch. Wifi from the google to ipads etc minus the tv/ps4/chromecast ultra.

I should test if a direct cable from tv to google wifi helps first, but it’s pissing me off, wife bugs me with it. Might just be the tv sucking in total. But it’s nice to have netflix/hbo/prime aps run on it for wife. Thoughts?

Oh, google wifi speed test says sammy tv gets around 100mb atm, vs ipads 300+ mbit. Hence me hoping a cable would improve it / more stable.

That switch sounds great. Testing first to see if the Ethernet solves the issue sounds like a good idea though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

It depends. Most of the time, no.
So got the UniFi controller working after a while, because its default Port was 8080 which Sabznbz already uses for Plex. But anyway, during setup, it wanted a SSID, and I gave it one different than what my home router is putting out. Can I make them the same? I figure if I make them the same, then it won't combine them, it'll just list 2 different SSID's, with the same name, won't it?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So got the UniFi controller working after a while, because its default Port was 8080 which Sabznbz already uses for Plex. But anyway, during setup, it wanted a SSID, and I gave it one different than what my home router is putting out. Can I make them the same? I figure if I make them the same, then it won't combine them, it'll just list 2 different SSID's, with the same name, won't it?

You can make it the same name but it needs the same password as well. Try it out see how it works.

Edit: And, technically, devices should join the closest WiFi network they know based on signal strength. That doesn’t always work out that way. You’ll have to log in to whatever management options are available for an AP to see what devices are using it.

Edit2: Assuming APs are online, if a device you expect to be using the closest AP, but isn’t, that device may need a reboot.

Last edited:

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I use a Netgear Nighthawk router but am using the Ubiquiti Switch + AP x3. Am I required to using the USG or will the AP auto extend the range of my current networks?

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I use a Netgear Nighthawk router but am using the Ubiquiti Switch + AP x3. Am I required to using the USG or will the AP auto extend the range of my current networks?

You don’t need the USG. I recommend it though. You’ll have to manually create your existing ssids either way.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just upgraded to a complete Unifi system in my house, after having deployed it for side jobs. Had to spend my trump bux somehow.....

It is really slick but its really best as a homogenous system. The things you can do with traffic flow control, network topology, and security are flat out amazing. Its much more expensive than any commercial home setup, but its way less than enterprise level gear which it competes with fairly well. Initial setup can be a pain, if any components are several firmware versions back. This means having a basic knowledge of WinSCP and SSH might be required, but there are lots of Youtube guides specifically on this equipment if you hit that issue. Couple things for a new adopter:

Their USG: There is the less expensive version, and then the Pro 4 and higher ones. I personally sprung for the Pro4 because I want this system to last a long time so the ability to have fiber runs to my gateway in the future is an option I wanted. It also has a greater management capacity for creating VLANs and wireless SSIDs than the basic version. There is a lot to consider here, but if you just plan on using your cable modem and never moving away from CAT6 or setting up multiple SSIDs beyond four, stick with the cheap one. If you are going full nerd and want the future option of fiber, get the P4. Trying to get it setup without there USG is doable, but why would you when it interfaces with the rest of the system so well?

Controller: I have a series two Cloudkey, which is something I have placed at all four Unifi sites I have set up. I recommend it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is a good deal. For 200 bucks, you get a computer that runs the controller software, has built in camera security software, offsite administration tools, and 1TB of storage for camera footage. The unit is small, runs on a single PoE drop, and gives off no heat. The alternative is downloading the software to another server or workstation and running it there, but that does not allow for offsite management, clouded backups of the system settings, and it does not include the camera (and I beleive IP phone) software that the cloudkey two does. IF you already have a server or VM racked up for this and do not want the security camera features, then passing on the cloudkey is an option I guess. But I like having it for the sites I remote administer and I plan on adding in security cameras to phase out the ADT cheapies I currently have down the road, so no brainer for me.

There are tons of options that a home user is going to want to dig into for the first time when you get it up and running. Have a plan in mind for any SSIDs and VLANS you feel you need. Personal example, I have four VLANs (House Master VLAN, Home Automation and Media, Guest Network, My Work VLAN, Wifes Work VLAN) and three Wireless networks (Personal, Home Automation, Guest), but could have more if I needed. I have all of the ports set to work with specific VLANs in my house and optimizations in place to make each one better serve its purpose, which the full UNIFI setup allows for. Knowing what you want and having a plan will make tweaking it a lot easier later, especially if you are integrating a lot of home automation into your setup like I had to do. Once its set and stuff is working at a basic level, you can go back later and tweak it to optimize it or harden the security. Just dont get lost in the weeds early. Get internet and wifi working, get your core VLANs set, and make sure stuff is talking. Once you are that point, you can peck at it at your leisure, especially if you use the Cloudkey and can just muck about with a tablet to change things.

Realistically, no ordinary home needs a setup like Unifi provides (Luxul covers those people who need just a couple extra access points), but its pretty damn robust and easy to work with for the cost compared to other enterprise gear. And for what its worth, of the four systems I have set up for side work in the last four years, none have any downtime that was not directly related to a power outage or internet provider outage. Remotely administering them all has been a breeze and I can do most of it on my cell phone. And this includes places I have set up, like my german singing club, where I have 600+ concurrent wireless users while my network is also handling managing the audio system for the beer garden, point of sales systems, streaming to the spectrum application, and the camera security software and traffic. Its really good for small businesses, especially at its price point.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I just upgraded to a complete Unifi system in my house, after having deployed it for side jobs. Had to spend my trump bux somehow.....

It is really slick but its really best as a homogenous system. The things you can do with traffic flow control, network topology, and security are flat out amazing. Its much more expensive than any commercial home setup, but its way less than enterprise level gear which it competes with fairly well. Initial setup can be a pain, if any components are several firmware versions back. This means having a basic knowledge of WinSCP and SSH might be required, but there are lots of Youtube guides specifically on this equipment if you hit that issue. Couple things for a new adopter:

Their USG: There is the less expensive version, and then the Pro 4 and higher ones. I personally sprung for the Pro4 because I want this system to last a long time so the ability to have fiber runs to my gateway in the future is an option I wanted. It also has a greater management capacity for creating VLANs and wireless SSIDs than the basic version. There is a lot to consider here, but if you just plan on using your cable modem and never moving away from CAT6 or setting up multiple SSIDs beyond four, stick with the cheap one. If you are going full nerd and want the future option of fiber, get the P4. Trying to get it setup without there USG is doable, but why would you when it interfaces with the rest of the system so well?

Controller: I have a series two Cloudkey, which is something I have placed at all four Unifi sites I have set up. I recommend it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is a good deal. For 200 bucks, you get a computer that runs the controller software, has built in camera security software, offsite administration tools, and 1TB of storage for camera footage. The unit is small, runs on a single PoE drop, and gives off no heat. The alternative is downloading the software to another server or workstation and running it there, but that does not allow for offsite management, clouded backups of the system settings, and it does not include the camera (and I beleive IP phone) software that the cloudkey two does. IF you already have a server or VM racked up for this and do not want the security camera features, then passing on the cloudkey is an option I guess. But I like having it for the sites I remote administer and I plan on adding in security cameras to phase out the ADT cheapies I currently have down the road, so no brainer for me.

There are tons of options that a home user is going to want to dig into for the first time when you get it up and running. Have a plan in mind for any SSIDs and VLANS you feel you need. Personal example, I have four VLANs (House Master VLAN, Home Automation and Media, Guest Network, My Work VLAN, Wifes Work VLAN) and three Wireless networks (Personal, Home Automation, Guest), but could have more if I needed. I have all of the ports set to work with specific VLANs in my house and optimizations in place to make each one better serve its purpose, which the full UNIFI setup allows for. Knowing what you want and having a plan will make tweaking it a lot easier later, especially if you are integrating a lot of home automation into your setup like I had to do. Once its set and stuff is working at a basic level, you can go back later and tweak it to optimize it or harden the security. Just dont get lost in the weeds early. Get internet and wifi working, get your core VLANs set, and make sure stuff is talking. Once you are that point, you can peck at it at your leisure, especially if you use the Cloudkey and can just muck about with a tablet to change things.

Realistically, no ordinary home needs a setup like Unifi provides (Luxul covers those people who need just a couple extra access points), but its pretty damn robust and easy to work with for the cost compared to other enterprise gear. And for what its worth, of the four systems I have set up for side work in the last four years, none have any downtime that was not directly related to a power outage or internet provider outage. Remotely administering them all has been a breeze and I can do most of it on my cell phone. And this includes places I have set up, like my german singing club, where I have 600+ concurrent wireless users while my network is also handling managing the audio system for the beer garden, point of sales systems, streaming to the spectrum application, and the camera security software and traffic. Its really good for small businesses, especially at its price point.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

If you can, send back the USG Pro 4 and Gen 2 Cloud Key and get the UniFi Dream Machine Pro.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was not available on quick turnaround on Amazon or l would have.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah as said hands were tied. I wanted it now for home security beef up as well. Stupid Coronachan......

• 1Solidarity