Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I use the Unifi app on my phone, see my switch and three APs. When I log into the Unifi on a browser, I see no controller nor APs. Anyone have an idea why? Lol.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Been awhile since I've done it but if you add that then open it, it should find everything

EDIT can also try typing in the ip of the controller, then hit advanced/details and click proceed to website or something along those lines

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can also set up remote access with their cloud key, which is what I do for the small business pals I support. Only rub here is that its is kind of a pain if each site has their own unique admin account. I think there is a way to add a UBNT account to each site, but I have not been looking into it too closely.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
FoH I request immediate help in building a sick home network.

Requirements:
up to 1gig support
Will need to expand mesh network to outdoors across up to 800 yards

For a modem was gonna do a netgear cm1200 but it's sold out everywhere.

How about a cm1000v2?

For outdoor mesh was thinking ubiquiti's unifi outdoor mesh point, run PoE through conduit to it. Ubiquiti - Simplifying IT

Now what about a router and mesh points for the house and then a PoE hub? Trying to piece together an all ubiquiti solution.

Should I do a dream machine router or dream machine pro?? I think if I get the pro then I need to buy access points to get wifi?

Then do beacons for indoor mesh? UniFi AP BeaconHD Wi-Fi MeshPoint

Finally for PoE to the outdoor mesh should I Just grab one of these PoE switches? UniFi Switch 16 PoE

OR

Can I just do a amplifi and add unifi PoE switch + unifi outdoor mesh?

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Went with ubiquiti unifi usg router, the security key thingy, the 8 port 150w switch, and one ap pro. Pretty new to me so this will be the start. Gonna see if I can cover 4 acres of land.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Zapatta Zapatta I'm running an outdoor WiFi network and security system. I need a place to mount my AP's and cameras. I assume maybe a pressure treated wooden pole would work? Ground is dirt so would digging it deep and pouring cement to anchor it be best? Pole needs to withstand Florida humidity/rain. Only downside is I'd have exposed power wire running up the pole to AP which is kinda ghetto. Maybe there's a better option?

iannis

Musty Nester
In florida?

Just tie an alligator to a tree in your frontyard. Don't post any warnings. If they didn't expect you to have an alligator they deserve to get eaten.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
In florida?

Just tie an alligator to a tree in your frontyard. Don't post any warnings. If they didn't expect you to have an alligator they deserve to get eaten.
Not a bad idea. Even better would be to just build a moat so I wouldn't even have to tie them up.

Now how do I get the gators? I mean I see them all the time when going hiking. Prob best to start with small ones, easier to catch.

iannis

Musty Nester
Steal eggs, raise one in captivity so that it bonds to you. Reap the benefits of having a pet dragon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler tagging me to threads I cannot post in is a bad plan, I am guessing florida has ground termites? if so coat the lumber that will be below the surface in a thin layer of tar before encasing it in concrete. roofing cold patch works, just a very thin layer. also paint your lumber, even if lumber is treated once water gets the termite medicine gets diluted those little shitbags always look for water and that where they start their journey of destruction. When setting posts, best practice is to dig the hole so it is wider at the bottom than it at the top, having a taper in the post hole makes the set much more stable laterally and less likely to slowly sink over time, the earth is always moving, you dont want your shit going leaning tower of pisa 6 years later. Also formula for calcing the size of the hole is 3X diameter of post wide and 1/3 of the height of the post +6 inches deep. i.e. a 16 foot post needs to have 70 inches of it set below ground, and your final elevation will be 10 feet. Buy a post hole digger and post spade to do it right. Also homeowners always use way too much water when mixing concrete, follow the instructions on the bag so you dont make soup, shit it supposed to be stiff, stab the shit out of it as you are filling the hole to push out all the interstitial air as you go.

s-l1000.jpg

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have an irrational want to replace my Unifi USG, v1 key with a Dream Machine Pro :| Long term would be kinda interested in replacing my Nest cameras with their Protect products. Anyone use those yet? Seen a lot of bugs/problems with the Dream Machines, but workarounds seem to be quickly determined/posted.

I really need to step back and do some of the fundamentals first that I keep saying I'll get to. First up is figuring out if all this cable in my walls can be repurposed and where it terminates. I've pulled this out another 3 feet or so and still can't figure out which side is the 'end'

1591216738752.png

Unfortunately we just had insulation blown in our attic (fuck pidgeons, ugh), so missed a prime opportunity to go up there and try and trace things from there....

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have an irrational want to replace my Unifi USG, v1 key with a Dream Machine Pro :| Long term would be kinda interested in replacing my Nest cameras with their Protect products. Anyone use those yet? Seen a lot of bugs/problems with the Dream Machines, but workarounds seem to be quickly determined/posted.

I really need to step back and do some of the fundamentals first that I keep saying I'll get to. First up is figuring out if all this cable in my walls can be repurposed and where it terminates. I've pulled this out another 3 feet or so and still can't figure out which side is the 'end'

View attachment 275010

Unfortunately we just had insulation blown in our attic (fuck pidgeons, ugh), so missed a prime opportunity to go up there and try and trace things from there....
And none of those cables have an end to them? Wtf is the point of them being in the wall if there's not an end to plug in somewhere! wtf! I understand that's what you're trying to figure out but that's weird.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I think the house was kinda refurbed (repainted, new carpet, some new flooring) before we moved in and so we have blank wall plates like that all over the house hiding either a proper box or just a hole in drywall w/ cables behind it all bundled up, covering prior networking stuff or the old intercom system that was standard with the houses in our neighborhood. But this particular bundle... what the actual fuck?

1591328222477.png

There are at least 8 endings here.

I suspect this was a multi-port panel of some sort, phone and networking. I also think the black cable there is an antenna cable, and doesn't terminate there, but instead to a another plate on another wall.

Anyways, a minor victory the evening after I posted that. In the loft (2nd floor) that the photo above is from, there was a network and 2 phone ports in one panel:

1591327445795.png

Until now, we've relied on a powerline network to get connectivity up here. I knew there was this jank looking setup in the garage that I never dug into, now that im on leave from work and have time on my hands... I have some time to! So I disconnected the powerline cable that fed my wife's computer and a wifi access point in the loft, and plugged it into the above.

Downstairs in my office, I found a similar connection behind some boxes. I ran the other end of the powerline connection there into that and.... no luck.

So off to the jank garage setup to tinker with that.

1591327568256.png

This is how it's sat for 4 years. Long story short, this got me connectivity from the downstairs office to the loft upstairs:

1591327616173.png

I felt like I solved a real life riddle from an RPG or something. I figured there was almost no use for this small cable other than to serve as a jumper of some kind.

To complete my ghetto setup (I had powerline extended to the garage, to support a Unifi AP out there for my external Nest cameras) this was the end result:

1591327697294.png

I'm going to properly mount this stuff on the wall, but I feel accomplished, lol. My next problem though, is bandwidth.

1591327942300.png

I need to figure out if the cables in the wall (cat 5e) are limiting me to 100 and needs to be replaced in the future. The red lines note where it goes through the existing cabling in the walls, and Loft Lite (Unifi Lite AP) probably just has a crappy cable.

Another project - go around to other rooms and find out where these other network cables lead to....

Anyways, this ends today's sessions of ghetto but expensive home networking.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I think the house was kinda refurbed (repainted, new carpet, some new flooring) before we moved in and so we have blank wall plates like that all over the house hiding either a proper box or just a hole in drywall w/ cables behind it all bundled up, covering prior networking stuff or the old intercom system that was standard with the houses in our neighborhood. But this particular bundle... what the actual fuck?

View attachment 275341

I suspect this was a multi-port panel of some sort, phone and networking. I also think the black cable there is an antenna cable, and doesn't terminate there, but instead to a another plate on another wall.

Anyways, a minor victory the evening after I posted that. In the loft (2nd floor) that the photo above is from, there was a network and 2 phone ports in one panel:

View attachment 275334

Until now, we've relied on a powerline network to get connectivity up here. I knew there was this jank looking setup in the garage that I never dug into, now that im on leave from work and have time on my hands... I have some time to! So I disconnected the powerline cable that fed my wife's computer and a wifi access point in the loft, and plugged it into the above.

Downstairs in my office, I found a similar connection behind some boxes. I ran the other end of the powerline connection there into that and.... no luck.

View attachment 275335

This is how it's sat for 4 years. Long story short, this got me connectivity from the downstairs office to the loft upstairs:

View attachment 275336

I felt like I solved a real life riddle from an RPG or something. I figured there was almost no use for this small cable other than to serve as a jumper of some kind.

To complete my ghetto setup (I had powerline extended to the garage, to support a Unifi AP out there for my external Nest cameras) this was the end result:

View attachment 275337

I'm going to properly mount this stuff on the wall, but I feel accomplished, lol. My next problem though, is bandwidth.

View attachment 275340

I need to figure out if the cables in the wall (cat 5e) are limiting me to 100 and needs to be replaced in the future. The red lines note where it goes through the existing cabling in the walls, and Loft Lite (Unifi Lite AP) probably just has a crappy cable.

Another project - go around to other rooms and find out where these other network cables lead to....

Sounds like you're figuring it out, but you can always get a Network "toner" , where you plug it in on one end, and start touching shit on the other to see if it makes a "tone". You could presumably even just touch the ends of all those cables to see if you can see where jacks end up with it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 275341

sounds like it was where the router was placed, thats how i have my router in my closet, i put a brush plate on it
45-0018-wh_v01.jpg

in hindsight i should not have used a regular gange (like they did)

i should have used a low voltage gang bracket
51FCEcdz8gL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

If your going to upgrade your camera system, you might as well go with the shit that the CCP use to track everyone, Dahua or Hikvision. Most of the really bad shit is going to happen at night, so you should choose a security camera based on night performance; which is the most difficult to get right. If you have an old computer sitting around (to use as a dedicated box) you can run all your security though a software called BlueIris; which is suppose to be amazing.

There is a bit more setting up required. You should isolate your camera system on its on LAN or VLAN, which have their own rules on what can connect to it. When looking at them remotely, you should have a VPN set up on your network (or Gateway), to dial into your system directly. If going the more robust BlueIris server, you will need to set that up too. The cameras all seem to be PoE though, so only running one CaT6 is nice.

I went with the cheep route, for a first set up, of 2 Dahua Starlight line of cameras (a 1080 and a 1440 @ ~$130 each) and a Dahua DVR with WD Purple HDD (~$200). I set up my TP-Link PoE switch on the UniFi gateway's LAN2 port, and isolated it from the internet and other networks in the firewall.

After reading some more, I kinda wish I spent a couple hundred more and got a machine to run dedicated BlueIris on (like a midlevel Intel NUC - maybe), as it might be easier to use, after the initial hiccup of learning how to set it up.

Links:
IPCamTalk forum, direct link to cameras:

IPCamTalk direct link to Wiki:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 275010

What did you decide on the cameras? Im also looking for a camera setup to span a large piece of property. Used arlo in the past but I want something that's maybe PoE so framerate isn't shit. I do want to retain smart features like motion alerts, human recognition, animal recognition etc.

View attachment 275341

View attachment 275334

View attachment 275335

View attachment 275336

View attachment 275337

View attachment 275340

What software are you making your network diagrams with?