Routers & Other Networking Stuff

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have a weird problem. At work with a Comcast business modem/router the computer which is connected with cat 5 works fine. My phone connected over wifi says it has intent, but certain stuff is not working. Like discord won't connect, but I can usually still use this site fine. It's definitely not a case of stuff being blocked. Logged into router with default information from Google (lol, changed that). Restarting wifi/router modules didn't work. Restarting the whole thing now, which is taking 8 years. (Finished restarting, no change)

This is a pretty recent problem, past week or so. A few days ago out credit card machine stopped working essentially because it's not getting a signal out, and I'm worried it's related. The credit card guys thinks it's a hardware fault and are sending a new one out, but to me it's too coincidental and I feel like it's related. Anyone have thoughts on anything I could try?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for a good long range wifi extender. Situation is my family has a couple of cottages, the neighbor is sharing his wifi and it reaches one cottage, would say they're about a 100 ft apart maybe a little more. The second cottage is probably about 400 ft from the first cottage and up a hill. I don't have access to the wifi router itself.

Any recommendations on reaching the 2nd cottage?
Yes!

i actually just did this with my UniFi network. I’m using UniFi NanoBeams to shoot WiFi across about 120 yards. On the other end I have a switch 8 150w Poe and a UniFi mesh ac pro.

It works great. I use it to extend WiFi across my property for Arlo wifi cameras outdoors. I’ve gotten a little slower response time from my Arlo cameras shooting me notifications of motion alerts versus just having them on a primary network instead of bridged but it’s maybe 30 seconds or so slower. It should be blazing fast if I was to actually utilize it for streaming etc but the structure it’s beamed to is in disarray at the moment and I’m not using it for anything.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
amplifi alien is wifi 6. It's been tempting me.

I have one as well. It's incredibly easy to install and update and runs great. However, it has exposed that my Charter business internet is dogshit. I have wild amounts of latency and dropped bandwidth.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
amplifi alien is wifi 6. It's been tempting me.
That thing looks really cool but its way too expensive for the coverage I need. I have a nighthawk router (that will soon have its wifi turned off) for now. Ubiquitis will be providing wifi coverage and at some point I'll buy their Dream Machine Pro for routing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So my LR6 came. I think my note 20 has an issue with it's wifi, but it's MUCH much better on wifi6 (most recent test). Ditching it next week for a Fold anyways.

1629503222729.png

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Unifi Wifi 6 stuff in stock.

WTB wifi 6 dream machine.

So my LR6 came. I think my note 20 has an issue with it's wifi, but it's MUCH much better on wifi6 (most recent test). Ditching it next week for a Fold anyways.

View attachment 368259

I have a pretty extensive UniFi network that I’ve setup. Current internet is 400 Mbps. Would I see any benefit to upgrading my UniFi ap’s to their WiFi 6 ones? Wouldn’t I also need a wifi 6 compatible router which Ubiquiti doesn’t currently have in their unifi product line?

Kiki

Log Wizard
If you have a lot of devices or need that much speed across wireless, it's probably worth it to start upgrading. Are your APs hardwired?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
6 is a wifi standard, routers don't apply unless they're also your AP - some marketing speak here - 5 Reasons You Should Consider Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Router – NETGEAR Connection Blog

I upgraded both a Nano HD and a LR both to LR6. The coverage in my house is significantly better based on the issues we had (my note 20 had a lot of issues, Chromecasts at different end of the house had particular issues that are now gone, etc)

But I'm also a bad that has Wifi AI on too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
heres a nice email i got last night
7a3dbd59df4dc82e2ddcb79d07e8cf47.png

i recently sold my house with the nvr setup i installed

i guess the nvr was bound to my account, i had already deleted the app when i moved but the nvr was connected to the router i also left behind (i put cat5 in all rooms) and i could access all the recorded footage still, i'm not a creep so i unbound it right away.

well lesson learned, don't move into a house with an already active security system still running.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If you have a lot of devices or need that much speed across wireless, it's probably worth it to start upgrading. Are your APs hardwired?
All AP’s are hardwired other than a nanobeam I have running to my barn that’s connected to a unifi 8 switch and ap mesh pro - wish I could get that connection to be a tad faster, running Arlo WiFi cams off it

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
6 is a wifi standard, routers don't apply unless they're also your AP - some marketing speak here - 5 Reasons You Should Consider Upgrading to a WiFi 6 Router – NETGEAR Connection Blog

I upgraded both a Nano HD and a LR both to LR6. The coverage in my house is significantly better based on the issues we had (my note 20 had a lot of issues, Chromecasts at different end of the house had particular issues that are now gone, etc)

But I'm also a bad that has Wifi AI on too.
Apparently a unifi ap pro 6 is in beta as of earlier this year. May wait it out for that.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Do you use anything else like AP or a Mesh system with this ? Thinking of getting rid of my ASUS system which has been increasingly pissing me off.

I don't - the Alien as it stands covers the entire house. (Three stories about 3500 Sq Feet) Only issue I have had so far which is on and off is the 2.4 ghz connection to the Ring outside. But only seems to get low signal 1 out of every 50 live feed tests I do.

• 1Like