Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I don't - the Alien as it stands covers the entire house. (Three stories about 3500 Sq Feet) Only issue I have had so far which is on and off is the 2.4 ghz connection to the Ring outside. But only seems to get low signal 1 out of every 50 live feed tests I do.
Incredible how much my speeds improved with a single Alien router. Pay for 500up/down and am getting around 400 in the furthest part of my house. Previously was getting 120ish.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Unifi ppl do you keep IPS on? Turned it on my USG pro and shit throttled me big time. UDM pro worth the upgrade to get around this? Shut is sold out everywhere.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
UDM pro just got here. Time to migrate my usg and cloud key to it. Yeeeee

• 2Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm of the opinion that IDS/IPS's are nearly worthless. In 2021 most attacks happen at the application layer which are well beyond the reach of your typical network monitoring service. I used to run Snort inline but I don't even bother anymore. Keeping things patched, using OpenDNS and PiHole are exponentially more beneficial than an IDS/IPS service.

Edit: I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
I wouldn't say worthless, especially in a corporate environment for preventing bittorrent shit, etc. I also still see a number of DDos attacks out in the wild, we had a recent one where a girl on xbox was getting ddos'd because she was a girl I think and it wasn't masking her IP. And they are one of the reasons why worms really aren't a thing anymore. You kinda need your security to be comprehensive and end to end, people hiding things in usb firmware, etc. I do agree a pihole is probably 100x more beneficial currently for any home user.

I'm really liking the nextgen antivirus stuff, behavior based, not signature. Can tie it to your firewall, a cloud sandbox, etc. and it makes the decision and tells all the devices. It sees something trying to open powershell? nope. Doesn't matter what it is, outlook item, zip, macro.. just says no, and tells the firewall to block it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm finally gonna make an effort to network the new house and i'm rolling out new cable and my wife goes

"ugh why is that cable so ugly"

9e04eca8df76427c8b06bb70c40c9279.png

• 2Worf

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
i'm finally gonna make an effort to network the new house and i'm rolling out new cable and my wife goes

"ugh why is that cable so ugly"

9e04eca8df76427c8b06bb70c40c9279.png
Hate to be the bearer of bad news bro, but you fucked up. Copper Clad Aluminum is shit cable. Get some pure copper cable especially if you intend to have any POE devices like Cameras, Access Points, etc...

• 1Like
  • 1Blown

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hate to be the bearer of bad news bro, but you fucked up. Copper Clad Aluminum is shit cable. Get some pure copper cable especially if you intend to have any POE devices like Cameras, Access Points, etc...
my security cams are bnc, these cables will just handle data

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If I’m running cable I would still invest in the better stuff. It won’t hurt you if your distances are short, but I’m OCD about this stuff.
Well shit, what’s your opinion of ubiquiti cat5e? Did my entire unifi network with it, so far so good..

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Well shit, what’s your opinion of ubiquiti cat5e? Did my entire unifi network with it, so far so good..

Seems to be solid copper so it’s fine. If you’re not running outdoors though I would just get some standard riser cable from Monoprice and save some money.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone use this?

basically just cut out the area between your studs and put up your networking, this wouldn't be difficult for me since its what i've done for putting a wall shelf, i think this looks nice.

at my previous house i did the whole, but a 4x8 plywood panel and just stuck devices on that.

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't recommend doing that if your gear produces any heat. It wouldn't look as nice, but you'd probably be better off hanging a backboard to mount your equipment.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wouldn't recommend doing that if your gear produces any heat at all. It wouldn't look as nice, but you'd probably be better off hanging a backboard and mounting your equipment to that.
i did it, but it was pretty ugly even after i routed it nice like

i ordered a 28in gonna see if it'll fit nice

doesn't look like it to be honest, my comcast modem looks like a fucking sonos sound bar and it's thick
e09d956020def8f8265373d6db3307fa.png

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Careful those new Comcast modems throw out a TON of heat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a 5 port switch with no activity lights or with activity lights you can disable administratively?