Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Is it possible to get a booster/hotspot/something that will broadcast my wireless stuff to dark and dungeony parts of the house? I have a good router that's broadcasting well to most of the house, centrally located, but there's a small wing that routinely has poor signal. Everything I try to search for / look up ends up being for its own separate signal, or as far as I can tell. Dunno, I'm a relative noob re: networks. I'm looking for something that will broadcast the same signal my router is broadcasting (you know, my interwebs from my ISP), just at a secondary location.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is it possible to get a booster/hotspot/something that will broadcast my wireless stuff to dark and dungeony parts of the house? I have a good router that's broadcasting well to most of the house, centrally located, but there's a small wing that routinely has poor signal. Everything I try to search for / look up ends up being for its own separate signal, or as far as I can tell. Dunno, I'm a relative noob re: networks. I'm looking for something that will broadcast the same signal my router is broadcasting (you know, my interwebs from my ISP), just at a secondary location.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/networki...at161100050044

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So this seemed liked the place to ask and forgive me if this is a stupid question but...

I recently bought a Roku 2, some gadget that connects my TV to the internet (I'm a bit of a Luddite). As of now all I have is a modem that my pc is hard-lined into. I prefer hard-lines as opposed to wireless. Do I need a hub, router or a switch to connect my new Roku thingy to my modem? I'm assuming a router but all the wired routers on Amazon are like 2x+ the price of wireless ones. And some of the wireless ones show ethernet ports. Halp, I'm dumb and confused.

I certainly appreciate any advice.
Any wireless router will have ~4 ethernet ports on the back of it. Just be sure you check the specs on the wireless ones and don't order some pile of junk without gigabit ports or you'll hate your life. You DO need a router of some kind, switches aren't capable of doing what you want to do, and hubs are ancient technology that is 100% completely unusable these days.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You can set up another access point to use the same SSID/password as your main network and like 99% of devices will connect to whichever source has the stronger signal. I'm not a big fan of wireless repeaters personally (throughput issues), so if you can get any kind of hard line over to that area + another access point you'd be way better off. Even powerline adapters are almost always preferable to repeaters, assuming your electrical in your house isn't built on voodoo and child sacrifice.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok by powerline adapter, you mean... a device that plugs into my AC outlet, magically connects to my interwebs (via wireless or AC, or would it have to be cat-5'd all the way over there?), and then re-broadcasts the signal?

And for the "repeaters," I'm assuming they'd have to have a wired cat-5 connection? It really is basically a dungeon all on its own with regard to house layout, so a wired connection will be a complete PITA, but I don't know how a non-wired connection would then broadcast a stronger signal without quantum voodoo of some sort (granted as I said, I'm a network noob, so who knows).

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If running a physical ethernet there isn't an option give one of the powerlines a try. They come in pairs, plug A to to router and electric there, B in to electric in the room you need internet it. It hijacks part of the copper already in your wall to bring "wired" internet to remote rooms. Once it's connected you can connect any kind of access point you want to the B end of it and it'll be just like it was hardwired back to the main router.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hmm ok. So this "powerline" thing simply uses powercable stuff in the walls as cat-5? So I'd also need a wi-fi broadcaster gadget on the B end?

You mentioned my house needing to not be wired with voodoo. Can that sort of setup cause issues for other electrical stuff? Or worst case scenario the powerline/wifi setup just doesn't work very well?

-edit- Oh, and after re-reading your posts, it sounded like what you meant by "repeaters" was indeed something I thought wasn't possible? They just bounce the wifi signal (no cable needed) kinda like the way cell towers work?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The ethernet over power would be closer to how cell sites work than the repeater. I have this one (Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Up to 600Mbps) because it actually has gigabit ports rather than 100 meg. Works like a charm, but there are in home distance limitations similar to cat5. Like the two things can't be 1,000 miles from each other.

The wireless repeater basically just takes the weaker signal from your main router and rebroadcasts it with more boost. Basically...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Actual repeaters are mostly garbage, as you put them near the edge of an existing signal (so it already has a weak signal to begin with), then it just broadcasts it's own network from there and funnels it all back through the initial network. Adds more layers to the wireless connection and in general just performs like shit.

The idea behind the powerline adapters is that yes, it basically makes cat5 out of your copper electrical in the wall. What this allows you to do is get "wired" internet to a far room of the house, buy another wireless router, put it in bridge mode (removes the routing function, so it works like a switch with wireless basically) then set it to broadcast an exact copy of your existing wireless network (same ssid, encryption, password etc). This way you see only one wireless network, but devices will connect to whichever wireless broadcast point has a better signal, depending on where you are in the house. I'm pretty sure you can buy "dumb" wireless broadcasters that have no routing functions by default that you can use for this, but they are almost more expensive that just buying a regular wireless router and are far less flexible and more annoying to configure.

Powerline adapter DO have limitations with how far they can push a connection through the existing copper. Most are like a 300-500 foot limit or there abouts? Maybe they've improved since I had to install one, who knows. They also can have trouble if you have old or generally shitty wiring in the house, but it's super easy to test if they are gonna work or not. Just plug both ends in, then wire a laptop to the far end. If it gets a wired connection, you're done, there's literally no other setup involved in the powerlines.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Maybe related.

Is there an alternative cable I can use that isn't as stiff or heavy as the RG-6 stuff the cable company uses? Same with the Ethernet cable. I'm trying to clean up some messy wiring in my living room and make 1' cables instead of 5' cables but the shit is no fun to work with because it's so stiff it pushes things like the modem around or it won't make tight turns.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe related.

Is there an alternative cable I can use that isn't as stiff or heavy as the RG-6 stuff the cable company uses? Same with the Ethernet cable. I'm trying to clean up some messy wiring in my living room and make 1' cables instead of 5' cables but the shit is no fun to work with because it's so stiff it pushes things like the modem around or it won't make tight turns.
Not all Coax cable is the same, as I've had some after market stuff that wasn't stiff at all. No idea how not, considering it's just a solid copper wire down the middle of it with shielding, but it does exist. Just never the cheap bulk stuff you see most of the time.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's been a ton of different types of coax over the years and there's a lot of that older crap lying around with some of these cable companies. You've got older 59, 6, then single, dual, quad shield then pvc vs. Plenum.

You just need to find newer, more pliable brand name pvc jacketed RG6 with a quality dielectric. Cable companies will always buy the cheap crap to do installs with.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's been a ton of different types of coax over the years and there's a lot of that older crap lying around with some of these cable companies. You've got older 59, 6, then single, dual, quad shield then pvc vs. Plenum.

You just need to find newer, more pliable brand name pvc jacketed RG6 with a quality dielectric. Cable companies will always buy the cheap crap to do installs with.
AT&T used high quality cables on every install I have had them do at my homes.

Remit_sl

shitlord
AT&T used high quality cables on every install I have had them do at my homes.
Yeah all the big names use the good shit from my experience. The cooperation dictates what the local installers are allowed to use, and it is always high end cabling, as medium costs significantly less than truck rolls. Even most smaller ISPs learn that the hard way after 5-10 years, but I suppose you could get some shit occasionally from a small ISP.

If you have some cheap stuff, it was probably a consumer cable purchased at some shitty big box store, or really really old.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I don't know if it's cheap shit or not, I just know it takes a hell of a lot of real estate to form it into a curve. Same with Ethernet cables. I was hoping there was an alternative cable that was more flexible. Kinda like if you look around, you can find speaker wire that looks like tape and you can bend it 90 degrees or fold it back over itself.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The cable is sometimes purposefully that way to help prevent kinks, which basically renders the cable useless. I know you can get more flexible ethernet cables, called patch cables, made of stranded copper instead of solid. But solid is preferred for running cable because it makes better connections. The same might be for coax.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Cat5e will be more flexible than Cat6 for network cabling(as far as cheap UTP goes), and if you go grab some coax premades from a box store they will likely be pretty flexible.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can't bend ethernet cables because if you do it's like a hose and the kink will slow the flow of internets