Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
in short:
I need to connect LAN only devices to the internet and I need a switch to hook into a switch.

detailed LAN 1 is a computer, LAN 2 is another computer, LAN 3 is switch 1 which connects the printer, my computer and switch 2, switch 2 connects the living room PC (and torrent box), the xbox, the TV over internet box and a WiFi repeater. That being a total of 8 devices requiring internet and the router itself only having 4 ports, I need switches on top. Besides I don't want to run 4 cables to the living room. Even if I were to break up the smaller switch, I'd be one LAN port short on the router.

I'm trying to avoid WiFi as much as possible, as I've detected 28 other WiFi networks with just my router. So the air is pretty "thick" already, so to speak
our phones already lose connection at the other side of the aparment despite running 802.11ac

Running a switch off of a switch is a valid configuration, if that’s what you’re asking.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
in short:
I need to connect LAN only devices to the internet and I need a switch to hook into a switch.

detailed LAN 1 is a computer, LAN 2 is another computer, LAN 3 is switch 1 which connects the printer, my computer and switch 2, switch 2 connects the living room PC (and torrent box), the xbox, the TV over internet box and a WiFi repeater. That being a total of 8 devices requiring internet and the router itself only having 4 ports, I need switches on top. Besides I don't want to run 4 cables to the living room. Even if I were to break up the smaller switch, I'd be one LAN port short on the router.

I'm trying to avoid WiFi as much as possible, as I've detected 28 other WiFi networks with just my router. So the air is pretty "thick" already, so to speak
our phones already lose connection at the other side of the aparment despite running 802.11ac

Yeah you can plug switches into your router ports and hang switches from other switches to get the port density you need. Just make sure you are using the same model of switch for maximum simplification. Don't use all 1GB switches and then throw in a 10/100 somewhere in the middle and it should all work out fine.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
in short:

Oh crap 28 ssids. yeah what you want to do works.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
in short:

You just described the purpose of switches.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm either getting too old or somethings wrong, i couldn't crimp my cat5e cables for shit, they kept on failing my testor. figure i'm just not pushing them in properly.
420de8a36964d80d5a3970034d9b5037.png

bought 100 of these plugs, so now i'll know they're def in properly.
(i'm doubling, tripling up connections in some rooms, so i won't have to do it again anytime soon in my attic.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm either getting too old or somethings wrong, i couldn't crimp my cat5e cables for shit, they kept on failing my testor. figure i'm just not pushing them in properly.
420de8a36964d80d5a3970034d9b5037.png

bought 100 of these plugs, so now i'll know they're def in properly.
(i'm doubling, tripling up connections in some rooms, so i won't have to do it again anytime soon in my attic.
That one on the right don't look right.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have the weirdest issue. Built a new desktop and if I connect via 5 GHz with the on board wifi it will crash my Netgear R7000P. Works fine if I keep it on 2.4 GHz. Using 2.4 GHz is fine for now as I'll be able to just plug the desktop into the R7000P once I get the house rearranged. My "what the fuck is going on meter" is bugging the shit out of me trying to figure out what is causing it. Anyone have any ideas?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have the weirdest issue. Built a new desktop and if I connect via 5 GHz with the on board wifi it will crash my Netgear R7000P. Works fine if I keep it on 2.4 GHz. Using 2.4 GHz is fine for now as I'll be able to just plug the desktop into the R7000P once I get the house rearranged. My "what the fuck is going on meter" is bugging the shit out of me trying to figure out what is causing it. Anyone have any ideas?
A specific setting crashing hardware leads me to believe it's a glitch in the firmware? Try updating?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Any other devices in the house at 5ghz? I've had problems with 2.4ghz interference before that was weird (we replaced a wireless phone running on 2.4 that would kick all connections when it rang). Not sure what other devices might transmit are 5ghz.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Everything has the latest firmware. I've put everything that uses WiFi to 2.4 GHz except for my new computer still on 5 GHz which it still crashes the router. The new desktop will be on wired connection soon enough but still annoying to not figure out whats going on.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Netgear seems to have some quality control issues so it wouldn't shock me if your 5ghz radio was just fucked. The only other thing I could think to do would be to flash it with ddwrt and see if the 5ghz radio still gives you problems and at that point you can pretty much rule out firmware and call it bad hardware.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This is my "stack" and it's not cheap but it's beyond worth it in the long run.

<-- this is the "router" that touches whatever modem you have. You want to just bridge their modem straight to this.
<-- this is the POE switch that powers up the wireless AP's and connects all of the rooms back to the router.
<-- these are the wireless access points and I have two of them, one down and one up but you don't need the pros

Been eyeballing this post for awhile now. Went ahead and ordered this setup this morning.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Everything has the latest firmware. I've put everything that uses WiFi to 2.4 GHz except for my new computer still on 5 GHz which it still crashes the router. The new desktop will be on wired connection soon enough but still annoying to not figure out whats going on.
I was talking about external devices that aren't wifi. 5GHz might be moot anyways, not many external devices interfere at that freq.

Try another channel?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, also tried changing the channel. I just opted to get the system @a_skeleton_03 linked early, was waiting till I move into a bigger space but went with it now

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Having 10 devices on wifi isn't really a significant factor any more, neither is the amount of people in your building. I'm sure there's some very miniscule hit, but you'd never notice it.

Fiber will still use the same wifi dongle/card/cables. The only thing is you might need a better quality one to take advantage of the speeds.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah I was being dumb. I was confusing my wifi adapter with my router, not the default one on the TWC modem because the installer said it sucked when it was being set up) so swapping my wifi adapter to the ATT modem won't affect the wifi for the rest of the apartment via the spectrum modem/router setup.

Alright, the only other thing I was really concerned with would be paying for the 1000 package and getting way less due to lots of people in building getting it. I wonder if they're going to actually be giving people good modems or if i'm gonna have to buy my own. Will be nice if I can start playing HC on path of exile again and playing LoL without constant ping spikes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I was being dumb. I was confusing my wifi adapter with my router, not the default one on the TWC modem because the installer said it sucked when it was being set up) so swapping my wifi adapter to the ATT modem won't affect the wifi for the rest of the apartment via the spectrum modem/router setup.

Alright, the only other thing I was really concerned with would be paying for the 1000 package and getting way less due to lots of people in building getting it. I wonder if they're going to actually be giving people good modems or if i'm gonna have to buy my own. Will be nice if I can start playing HC on path of exile again and playing LoL without constant ping spikes.
always buy your own modem

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Need some advice. Now I need a new router, this time no real budget (keep it under $300 tho c'mon now). Needs to have insane range and be able to walk through walls. Internet at this place is pushing 100mbps.

Also I think I'll prob need an extender or some way to extend the WiFi range to the other end of the house.

Nighthawk setup the best to go with? Any specific suggestions?