Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiki

Log Wizard
I love UI stuff. Swapped out my firm's Cisco Aironets and 5508 Controller which was expensive and hellish to manage with a bunch of UI AP's and it's infinitely better..

Oh man, they make it so easy now. We replaced all our Ciscos with it as well in multiple buildings, and use it on customer jobs too. So nice. I wish I had that shit 15 years ago.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Another option are Mikrotik routers. Not as nice interface as Ubiquiti but they're fast / cheap as fuck and pretty much invincible. The hap ac2 routes 1gbps over pppoe at wire speed with ~30% cpu load, wifi's at 300-400 mbps and does hardware ipsec as well.

All this for 69$ MSRP.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Alright guys. I've grown tired of my APs not meshing properly with each other (3 different brands). I need to find something that'll set up a proper mesh around the house and won't suck.

I want to go Ubiquiti, possibly, but unsure on the best models these days. Anyone point me in the right direction quicklike before I do some price homework?

Thanks, dudes.

Edit: I'm thinking these.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
How big is your house? Are you going to go everything Ubiquiti or just the APs?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
House is 3k+ sq ft. not including the basement (which I need coverage in as well).

I have an almost-new Cisco 3750-X, so unless I have to, I'm not abandoning that. It delivers PoE. Definitely going to abandon the rest of my APs, though, because I want a mesh that works properly. That's what I don't have right now.

Alternatively, I have a Cisco Aironet 1260 series. I could always buy a couple more and use them instead. Aironets are pretty shit these days, though.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hate Mesh with a passion. I'd hire an electrician if you have to to run some cables and never worry about flaky mesh technology again. My church has been using Unifi original LR versions for about 5 years now and they've been extremely solid. They were going to go with a Mesh setup but I talked them out of it, and the cost in the end was about the same or even less because they only had to pay for an electrician and the AP's, and I got to play with them (7 AP's) for a few hours for free. Their roaming capability is great, can walk around the building pinging a server and you'll never miss a beat.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kind of, some Mesh AP's, at least 5 years ago with the ones I saw quoted, used WIFI to connect to each other, so the bandwidth was effectively halved for every AP in the mesh network. Reliability was horrible too from what I read. I think newer models use separate radio's for linking AP's so they don't compete with the client's, but I still think running a cable is always better if the cost isn't too much. For a house, 3 AP's in a Mesh are probably good enough.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I don't understand the mesh hate. I've tried 3 systems, Plume, Tenda Nova and Netgear Orbi.

Plume didn't end up being very good. For $120 the Tenda Nova MW6 was great for a couple years. I only upgraded to the Orbi system due to a really good deal. I have 40ish devices running in my 3100sqft house on FiOS gig internet and it's perfect.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Holy shit, it's like night and day. I should have done this years ago.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I still prefer wired access points with seperate SSIDs. I have a 5ghz and a 2.4 ghz access point upstairs and a 5ghz AP downstairs. All my "portable" devices go on the 2.4 and all stationary devices (tv's, xbox's, etc.) connect to their closest 5ghz AP.

Even if I were to mesh, I'd still wire my APs. I've never seen a wireless mesh work that great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Bought three UAC-AC PROs and a UnFi 24 port GB switch. Hoping it's gonna be good! lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Internal gateways tests:
1584643140387.png

External at AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test

1584643186574.png

But this is about what I get when downloading through steam or anywhere else:
1584643303249.png

It was closer to 900 when I got it a few months ago, tech has been out. Replaced all the hardware, same thing and he was at a loss as to why it was happening. I have not made any changes to hardware or eithernet lines etc. Any ideas?