Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
TIL a switch can be considered a splitter.

Nah. That'd be a hub, at worst, and this isn't the 20th century.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I swear that every time I make patch cables I'm always 1 short.

Hey Chief - I am looking to go Wifi 6 and replace my AC1700. I was looking at a few and that Alien caught my eye. Sounds like it is working well for you.

Coverage is around 3500 Sq 3 story. Right now I should be good with this one. Still rocking and rolling so far? I see some bad reviews but I think that is mostly because they do not sell the AP mesh stand alone and you have to buy another one of these if you do not buy it in a package at a discount.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Hey Chief - I am looking to go Wifi 6 and replace my AC1700. I was looking at a few and that Alien caught my eye. Sounds like it is working well for you.

Coverage is around 3500 Sq 3 story. Right now I should be good with this one. Still rocking and rolling so far? I see some bad reviews but I think that is mostly because they do not sell the AP mesh stand alone and you have to buy another one of these if you do not buy it in a package at a discount.

Yep, it's still working just fine for me. Can't speak too much about coverage, as I'm just in a small apartment, but it does reach outside a decent amount. I'm guessing that you'll want the kit for good coverage though.

Setup was dead easy, but I did notice it didn't get the latest firmware when checking during the initial setup. A day later it rebooted (randomly I thought at first) and had a much newer firmware that completely changed the UI on the touchscreen. It's been rock solid ever since.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok cool I placed my order today direct from their store.

How long did it take for you to get it? I chose next Day air saver but wondering if their ship times are as fast as amazon :)

Making a note to force a firmware update when I set up just to make sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
sweet, ordered, thanks

will update if it works

fucking hbo max
Can't recommend enough just buying a:

No more fucking around with devices to cast, you can install almost any Android app and use the remote to select content right on the TV.

It is very powerful and high performance, has fantastic nvidia-AI-powered upscaling for 1080p content.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok cool I placed my order today direct from their store.

How long did it take for you to get it? I chose next Day air saver but wondering if their ship times are as fast as amazon :)

Making a note to force a firmware update when I set up just to make sure.

I used whatever their standard shipping was. Took maybe a week.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Can't recommend enough just buying a:

No more fucking around with devices to cast, you can install almost any Android app and use the remote to select content right on the TV.

It is very powerful and high performance, has fantastic nvidia-AI-powered upscaling for 1080p content.

I cast so rarely and already had the ultra so with that splitter I have everything hardwired i'm 100% good to go now.

It does look cool though, maybe something i'll go for next time I upgrade the entertainment center if it's still around in 5 years or so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I cast so rarely and already had the ultra so with that splitter I have everything hardwired i'm 100% good to go now.

It does look cool though, maybe something i'll go for next time I upgrade the entertainment center if it's still around in 5 years or so.
It's not casting, all your apps run natively on the device. It's basically the 'brains' of a smart TV housed in a separate box and much more powerful, or really a standalone Android-based computer.

How many streaming services do you subscribe to?

Goatface

wifi doesn't reach back of my house, but have it wired. need to get wifi to my shop.

1619226085709.png

don't want to dig and wire the shop. none of the access points i see would cover the shop. the outdoor directional ones seem like overkill. what should i be looking for?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If a router can't handle 20 feet... My WRT 1900ACS gives signal at the back corner of my half acre back yard. A simple repeater at the corner of the house should do the trick.

Where is the router located, and what router are you using?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
wifi doesn't reach back of my house, but have it wired. need to get wifi to my shop.

View attachment 350480

don't want to dig and wire the shop. none of the access points i see would cover the shop. the outdoor directional ones seem like overkill. what should i be looking for?

From what I remember when researching wifi upgrades (and settling on a Ubiquiti Unifi system):

5.2 GHz waves wont penetrate nearly as well as the old 2.4 Ghz but they handle much higher speeds, so it can depend on what materials it is going through in terms of what kind of signal you can get where.

The ideal situation would be a window in the shop facing the house, with a device directly in front of a window in the house that is facing the shop. Worst case scenario is probably going to be metal siding or brick on both the house and shop, with no windows at all.

If you have a newish router already, look to see if Ubiquiti Unifi products will work with it. If you have some windows to bounce a good signal into, you could put a discus like the $99 Unifi 6 lite on the ceiling, where you have indicated you have a wire, and it should work. You can also mount any of the Unifi discs outside, for a better signal to the shop.

The $180 Nano HD is the upgrade and is heavily recommended on Reddit but it is probably overkill.

Unifi also offers some really strong discs as well, like the $179 long range or the $349 HD overkill.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 350480

I used a Ubiquiti repeater to shoot internet to my neighbors a couple years ago. We split the bill and there was zero signal loss.

They also got a signal that was good for a mile sent 50 yards across the street to the face, but it worked!

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
asus ax3000?

no idea on what wifi6 is, just that it's new, pretty sure i'm moving, and where i'm going it's probably gonna be 2story.

i intend just to leave my current router here (some linksys i got in 2016), i have it paired up the house network and i pulled cat5e cables for, so i'll just leave it as a feature.

always been a linksys guy

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can't believe this shit! But heads up.

While the auto opt-in is some bullshit, at least it's easy enough to disable (I guess they figure anyone that uses Alexia, doesn't care about privacy, anyway).

The best way to opt-out is to disable Alexia which will disable this wifi sharing, as well. Furthermore, disable all tracking options, and make sure to tell it not to save your network credentials on Amazon servers, so it cant auto link erroneous devices. Go a step further and make a virtual network (LVAN) only for streaming devices, to which you need to approve all devices connecting through a firewall using your router's software.

I bought a FireCube and disabled Alexia straight away (Firecube was the most processing power for the money). There is no option for this Amazon Sidewalk stuff, since the Alexia app isn't set up.

As an aside, even though the FireCube is faster and cheaper, after owning both, I would rather have a second NVidia Shield. I only notice the speed difference on start up, and the Shield lets you skip the Prime commercials (and some others) at the start of the show.