Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's just dumb that they treat it as a bundle rather than a ... kit? What I mean is that their other Amazon device bundles don't actually give a discount on the items, it's just a convenient way to order accessories. If they make you order separately so the discount applies to just the main item it's no big deal, you can just order the accessories separately and still get a good deal. Here, you'd end up paying $96 for the first one and $120 for the second one, which is considerably more than just buying the bundle for $180 (Prime Day / BF sale prices). I'll bug their chat people about it when the time comes anyway.

Having a few doubts about the eero the more I look into it too. Seems it has no support for VLAN tags which would be a deal breaker except that I also read that if you only need two SSIDs you can make use of the guest network for that purpose. All I really want to do is put all my home automation stuff on one VLAN and my phone, tablet, Switch in portable mode, etc. on another so maybe that would be adequate. However, the Deco mesh systems have full support for VLANs, multiple SSIDs, etc. built in. And I can buy a couple X55 units today for $80 each (or even 3 for $190) which is the same price as on Prime Day and most likely BF too. There's also a lot of recommendations for them on the pfSense reddit and elsewhere, making it even more tempting.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
FWIW I have one of these , bought as a kit with the meshpoint. I have excellent coverage everywhere. By everywhere I mean the house and outside, I'm on an acre and a half and have coverage everywhere. They also do wireless and wired backhaul.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's just dumb that they treat it as a bundle rather than a ... kit? What I mean is that their other Amazon device bundles don't actually give a discount on the items, it's just a convenient way to order accessories. If they make you order separately so the discount applies to just the main item it's no big deal, you can just order the accessories separately and still get a good deal. Here, you'd end up paying $96 for the first one and $120 for the second one, which is considerably more than just buying the bundle for $180 (Prime Day / BF sale prices). I'll bug their chat people about it when the time comes anyway.

looking at my receipt i got a bundle? cuz thats how i got this gay ass sticker
30c862703b7d166be0d9609f31ed7058.png

e201fec57d5cabce4b3807a547e46059.png

Vorph

looking at my receipt i got a bundle? cuz thats how i got this gay ass sticker
Weird. I guess they changed the listing since Prime Day but it's probably something that support can fix. I ordered the Deco X55 3-pack today, couldn't pass up a chance at getting what I need for ~$63 per unit and it gives me time to test it and if it doesn't work out I can still grab the eero during BF week.

Vorph

So far, so good on the Deco X55 system. Only running two of the three nodes until I decide where there's a lack of coverage, and with them connected via ethernet backhaul I'm getting the same performance as with the Spectrum kit on everything but my phone (no more 6E or Spectrum Mobile boost so it's down from 1.3Gbps to around 500-800Mbps depending on where I am... not like I use the phone for huge downloads anyway). The management webpage and app are actually not bad either, it's quite a bit more robust than Tether was for my AX55/RE700X combo. I don't think it'll be a problem to use it as a router until I get my last two boxes (pfSense appliance and a miniITX Unraid NAS) built in the next month or two.

Just downloaded Like a Dragon Gaiden at over 800Mbps with Hulu streaming elsewhere on the network so no complaints there. I've never seen anything close to that from my Series X before.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So far, so good on the Deco X55 system. Only running two of the three nodes until I decide where there's a lack of coverage, and with them connected via ethernet backhaul I'm getting the same performance as with the Spectrum kit on everything but my phone (no more 6E or Spectrum Mobile boost so it's down from 1.3Gbps to around 500-800Mbps depending on where I am... not like I use the phone for huge downloads anyway). The management webpage and app are actually not bad either, it's quite a bit more robust than Tether was for my AX55/RE700X combo. I don't think it'll be a problem to use it as a router until I get my last two boxes (pfSense appliance and a miniITX Unraid NAS) built in the next month or two.

Just downloaded Like a Dragon Gaiden at over 800Mbps with Hulu streaming elsewhere on the network so no complaints there. I've never seen anything close to that from my Series X before.
Yea I just upgraded to a Deco 6E a few months ago and was going to go through the hassle to run Ethernet cables but I'm getting 900Mbps on dedicated 6ghz backhaul sooo yea guess wireless is finally for real. I plug my desktop into Ethernet port so it can't get any signal issues. I frequently am hitting 600MBps+ on servers that support it (basically steam...) which is nuts.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I hate that Steam is the only thing that can even push those kind of numbers. It becomes painfully obvious who has garbage server infrastructure, even companies who by all rights should have decent shit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I hate that Steam is the only thing that can even push those kind of numbers. It becomes painfully obvious who has garbage server infrastructure, even companies who by all rights should have decent shit.
Yea it makes the whole 2.5Gbps ethernet push kinda pointless. I mean yay I can get 2Gbps fiber at home... And still download 25 MBps because everything is rate limited to shit.

Not saying there aren't weirdos who have multiple 20TB NAS with ripped Disney DVDs and replicate it to their outbuilding for security but the Internet as a whole is just mid at this point.

Vorph

Yeah, 2.5Gbps gear still isn't worth the price bump unless you actually get more than gigabit service from your ISP or you have some extreme use-case that wouldn't apply to 99% of home networks.

I was definitely impressed with MS download speed yesterday though. 800 Mbps is right on par with the speed I got on Steam this morning downloading a patch for Cyberpunk. Sony and (especially) Nintendo still don't seem to give a fuck though. Sony peaks in the 200-300Mbps range and with Nintendo you're lucky to break into triple digits even when the Switch is docked with a wired connection.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I did some lobbying work against these devices in DC and presented to the FCC Office of Engineering Technology, and to the major vendors. All surrounding the FCCs decision to allow these unlicensed devices in the 6 GHz band. There was a lot of good white papers and field testing showing that they do, in fact, cause harmful interference to licensed 6 GHz backhaul used by Public Safety, Broadcast, Train systems, and everyone else that coordinates frequency usage.

Obviously this has nothing to do with y’all, they exist so may as well buy them and get the benefits. I just hope that vendors at least try and follow the, limited, rules that were put in place. Outdoor units especially are once they are released.

mini-rant over…

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, 2.5Gbps gear still isn't worth the price bump unless you actually get more than gigabit service from your ISP or you have some extreme use-case that wouldn't apply to 99% of home networks.

I was definitely impressed with MS download speed yesterday though. 800 Mbps is right on par with the speed I got on Steam this morning downloading a patch for Cyberpunk. Sony and (especially) Nintendo still don't seem to give a fuck though. Sony peaks in the 200-300Mbps range and with Nintendo you're lucky to break into triple digits even when the Switch is docked with a wired connection.
lulz i forget the switch has an ethernet port, ha, i keep on thinking it's all wireless

i do keep hdtv and ps5 on ethernet

Vorph

lulz i forget the switch has an ethernet port, ha, i keep on thinking it's all wireless
That was one of the best parts of the OLED upgrade, no more need for a USB dongle hanging off of it. The eShop is always slow as shit, but it's not quite so terrible when you plug it in.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this the worse thing or good enough? Still rolling out stuff in the home and dropping Ethernet to rooms and would like a PoE switch in my closet to handle cameras or just LAN drops.

TP-Link TL-SG116P | 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | 16 PoE+ Ports @120W | Plug & Play | Extend, Priority & Isolation Mode | PoE Auto Recovery | Fanless | QoS & IGMP Snooping https://a.co/d/5QxwOrh

• 1Like

Vorph

I've got a few of their managed (non-PoE) switches and for the money I don't think they can be beat. That one looks to have the same management web UI; QoS and VLAN support is basic but plenty adequate for a home network. If I needed a PoE switch, that's the one I'd get too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've got a few of their managed (non-PoE) switches and for the money I don't think they can be beat. That one looks to have the same management web UI; QoS and VLAN support is basic but plenty adequate for a home network. If I needed a PoE switch, that's the one I'd get too.
I’ve had a few tp-link products over the years and they’ve always been pretty solid. I’ve been meaning to do a proper reorg/setup including a managed switch, those look spot on for my needs.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thanks y'all. Not sure if I missed all the B Friday deals on it or what, but will just pick it up.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to upgrade my home network to 10Gb preferrably. Are there any decent cheap unmanaged 8 port 10Gb switches available yet? And what are people using for NICs? I need at least 3 NICs for server and main PC/plex server.

Vorph

I'd like to upgrade my home network to 10Gb preferrably. Are there any decent cheap unmanaged 8 port 10Gb switches available yet? And what are people using for NICs? I need at least 3 NICs for server and main PC/plex server.

Do you really need full 10GbE? If not a hybrid 2.5/10 setup is fairly affordable now. I'd definitely go with SFP+, since fiber seems a lot cheaper for both the switches and NICs. Less heat too, which is a major problem for 10G copper.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do you really need full 10GbE? If not a hybrid 2.5/10 setup is fairly affordable now. I'd definitely go with SFP+, since fiber seems a lot cheaper for both the switches and NICs. Less heat too, which is a major problem for 10G copper.
2.5gb would be fine probably, honestly this is more of a nice to have anyway for transferring large bluray rips and whatnot. Running fiber through the house might be fun but not something I want to commit to right now.

There are lots of used cheap dual RJ45 10gb nics on ebay for <$100 from Dell, HP etc but from what I can tell they can't negotiate to 2.5 or 5.0, just 1/10. Or I can buy 2.5Gb no-name NICs for around $40 each which doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Vorph

Yeah, I don't think 10G is quite 'there' yet for home use either. Full 10G you're looking at stuff from AliExpress or else spending a crazy amount of money for business class stuff. Hybrid you can get from QNAP or Mikrotik which are more trustworthy but the 10G part still seems like a hassle for questionable gains. I'm sticking to gigabit for now, maybe sometime down the road I'll upgrade a couple switches and the NICs in my gaming PC and NAS to 2.5G. For now, it's simple enough to just remote into my NAS and do all my USENET and torrent downloading directly to it. All I need is gigabit hardware to go with my gigabit cable service.