RPGs of 2014

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Good list - had never heard of Pillars of Eternity but it sounds better than all of the others to me. Good chit.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Good list - had never heard of Pillars of Eternity but it sounds better than all of the others to me. Good chit.
Pillars of Eternity is the new official name of the Project Eternity Kickstarter that you should definitely be Excited As Fuck for.

Sulrn

Deuces
I think in the last decade of FPS we've come to know quite well that quantity definitely does not beat quality, but I am quite happy that RPGs are making a resurgence.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I think in the last decade of FPS we've come to know quite well that quantity definitely does not beat quality, but I am quite happy that RPGs are making a resurgence.
Yeah, but unlike years where there's a ton of FPS games, there's a wholefuckloadof Quality in this Quantity of RPGs.

This is my buy list for February and March (the only months with any real confirmed dates):

02/07: Bravely Default (3DS)
02/11: Lightning Returns (PS3)
02/18: Ragnarok Odyssey ACE (PS3)
02/25: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3)
02/25: Thief (PS4)
02/25: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)

03/04: South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
03/11: Dark Souls 2 (?)
03/11: Atelier Escha & Logy (PS3)
03/18: Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD (PS3)
03/31: Infamous: Second Son (PS4)

Most of those are RPGs and it starts off with the huuuge bang that is Bravely Default. February really cannot come soon enough.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
^Seriously this. Trying to finish up last couple games I have on my backlog and maybe get through Ayesha before February.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Can't they make a new Final Fantasy Tactics... every 6 months for the rest of forever?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Atelier looks awesome.

But ya. Pillars of eternity going to be the end all be all. Well after dark souls.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish I enjoyed RPGs.
frown.png

So much quality and every single one I pick up from Fire Emblem: Awakening to FFXIII-2 I just get bored very quickly.
frown.png
makes me sad.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Had never heard of Sui Generis before seeing it on that list, but it looks like it has serious potential; definitely going on my "keep an eye on this" list, to see if they can pull off what they're pitching.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Cosmic Star Heroine looks really promising, anyone have video of the combat?

Also

fallen03b.jpg

Vaclav

Hadn't heard of Lords of the Fallen - it looks like Dark Souls though.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Thank fuck for the resurgence in isometric and party based RPG's. As I get older I find I have less and less patience for my RPG's trying to be Super Mario/Quake/Tomb Raider all rolled into one. 2014 is looking like a vintage year though.

Vorph

Hadn't heard of Lords of the Fallen - it looks like Dark Souls though.
Yeah, I remember reading a preview of the game at Destructoid over the summer where they were trying to explain how it wasn't like Souls games.

There's no two ways about it -- Lords of the Fallen invites comparisons to Demon's/Dark Souls. The developers are painfully aware of the fact, almost immediately surrendering into an anticipated half-chuckle as the first syllables of the From Software's projects names were uttered. That's ultimately okay though, because Lords of the Fallen doesn't aim to mimic the Souls games.

Rather, Deck13 is structuring Lords of the Fallen to be a bit more of an accessible Dark Souls. That doesn't mean it's going to be easy -- spending any amount of time in front of the game makes that much wildly obvious. But, it's also not going to be punishing. Challenging and complex? Definitely. But not punishing.

If Lords of the Fallen comes off as punishing, there's a fair chance that you're doing something wrong. Dying will happen, but the developers don't view deaths as a failure; they view it as part of the learning process. If you're repeatedly dying, try something new. Be more patient, learn the patterns of your opponent, and try to limit battles to one-on-one.
It's like the person who wrote that never actually played DS or DkS if he thinks that last paragraph doesn't also apply to them.

That said, the guy in charge of LotF was senior producer for Witcher 2. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Witcher 2 was a good game, but their attempts at making Souls-style combat failed pretty miserably. The way this game is described it's purely a combat game with very little in the way of story so they will need a hell of a lot better combat mechanics than Witcher 2 had to carry a game solely on that.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Sean?

Am I missing something? I heard RO was a bad knockoff of Monster Hunter.

Vaclav

Try Etrian Oddyssey IV (and presumably Untold as well - but don't own it yet) - it's pretty rough at points if you're not playing on Easy.