RPGs of 2014

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck yes. Devil Survivor was on par with any Etrian Odyssey game in the difficulty department alone, not even including engaging story et-al.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I could never get into the God of War style combat. For an RPG I have been hoping to see what comes up this year that improves on the style of the Gothic series. Skyrim was fun, but I think so much more can be done.

Northerner

N00b
Don't get me wrong, I love me some action RPGs or at least those with simulated action styled combat. Dark Souls, Skyrim and such are just fantastic fun, although rarely *because* of the combat.

Still, I also love classic RPGs and tactics-style RPGs. They are completely different genres really though and harder to find for the most part. The trend of having every RPG try out the multi-player, action combat business needed to go away. Having some go that direction is great but I sure don't need batman combat as the interface for all these games. Give me more turn-based statistically determined RPGs!

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I have been searching for a turn-based RPG for a long time but i have not seen or played anything in this style that i like in many years.
looking for a baulders gate style game but with real, actual turn-based fighting.
Need to find a game with basically the same combat style as Return to Krondor.

Thought i may have found one i liked with Shadowrun returns but its so terribly watered down and linear.

Looks like there are quite a few turn-based RPGs on that list so maybe this is the year!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have been searching for a turn-based RPG for a long time but i have not seen or played anything in this style that i like in many years.
looking for a baulders gate style game but with real, actual turn-based fighting.

Thought i may have found one i liked with Shadowrun returns but its so terribly watered down and linear.

Looks like there are quite a few turn-based RPGs on that list so maybe this is the year!
Have a 3DS? There's plenty.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
No 3DS
frown.png
PC only.

badlok

N00b

This all the way! i'll look for return to Krondor.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A 3DS will keep you going on those exact types of games for years!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Unfortunately those are mostly kiddy crap with 8 year old protagonists and endless shit dialog that scrolls by slowly enough for a four year old to read twice. W.. h... y.... do... they... all... type... one... word... at... a... time... like... this... and... can't.... speed... up... fuck... you...

At least that's how every jap rpg I've ever tried were. (most of which were recommended here) Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Fucking bring back isometric party based *PC* RPGs.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'd very much like the turn based games as mentioned for my rpg fix at times, and don't mind old school at all , just want something that actually can be played at modern resolutions. I bought the Enhanced Edition BG and it still jacks up at 1440p for me , anyone know of any old/new that run at high res ok ?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Heh, how old school do you want to go? I mean, the Gold Box set works fine on dosbox running hq4x.

Lusiphur

Peasant
BG:EE and BGII:EE have been flawless for me at 1080p.

Anyh00, there are 7 Isometric turn based games on that list, for PC, with what look like decent modern graphics. Itisgoing to be a good year (note I didn't count any JRPG's).

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I probably worded my previous post poorly..
I did not mean to suggest that return to krondor is similar to baulders's gate, cause its not.
But it does have a turn-based combat system that i love.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You guys might like Blackguards on Steam. It's still in development but there is quite a bit of content already. It's turn based, has some pretty cool environment interactions, and it's not that shitty Japanese girly boy crap Sean masturbates to. It has some odd UI elements but nothing too hard to figure out. It's not the greatest turn based I've played but it's solid, entertaining, and fairly well done.

Blackguards

Sean_sl

shitlord
Unfortunately those are mostly kiddy crap with 8 year old protagonists and endless shit dialog that scrolls by slowly enough for a four year old to read twice. W.. h... y.... do... they... all... type... one... word... at... a... time... like... this... and... can't.... speed... up... fuck... you...

At least that's how every jap rpg I've ever tried were. (most of which were recommended here) Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Fucking bring back isometric party based *PC* RPGs.
Someone buy Kreugen a 3DS XL with Chrono Trigger DS, Radiant Historia, Fire Emblem Awakening, Etrian Odyssy Games, and SMT games.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Sean?

Am I missing something? I heard RO was a bad knockoff of Monster Hunter.
It's mostly something I'd buy just to add to my RPG collection and something to play when I'm out of other shit. I'm not expecting anything grand from it, but it looks like it could be fun to pass some time with. I may pass on it for now though, since I have a ton of 3DS/DS RPGs I still need to finish. Plus, the Vita version might end up on PS+ so there is that (though I'd rather play it on my TV).

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haha and then they add the annoying faux typing sound as the text appears letter by letter... I tried playing a chrono cross rom on my tablet the other day and could not get through it because of the way dialogue is handled. I am so glad that western RPG's are so good nowadays that you don't have to sift through the jrpg crap.