RPGs of 2014

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are there PC based emulators for any of the handhelds? I loved a fire emblem game I played back in the day on a game boy and would love to play any new ones that have come out
GBA -Visual Boy Advance
NDS -DeSmuME

As far as Fire Emblem goes, that will get you 3 GBA games and 2 DS games. One of each was never released in English, but there arefantranslationsavailable. There's also two more FEs you can emulate easily, one on GameCube and one on Wii. Both are fully playable inDolphin.

Since this is a derail, go ahead and PM me if you need help, e.g. with setting up the translated ROMs.

Edit: Also, be aware that emulating the Nintendo DS takes a pretty serious amount of cpu power. Any fps drops cause the audio to go out of sync, start glitching, etc.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I assumed the super deformed thing was just to throwback to the NES days of giant heads by neccesity due to the large, blocky pixels. Otherwise sprites would have no face, just a square lump.
I miss those days.

rrr_img_58006.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not to derail the anime bashing, but...

If you have a PC, grab Might and Magic X. It's a hell of a lot of fun. An old-school tile/turned-based RPG just like the old M&Ms, or games like Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Stonekeep, etc. Been playing the hell out of it all weekend. First RPG I've played in quite a while where I can sit down and 6 hours passes by like nothing. Can't recommend it enough for old-school PC RPGers

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yep great game and considering the much lower price tag(25bucks) you'd expect either an unpolished turd or a very short game, but it's really neither, I haven't encountered bugs other than engine quirks(sometimes rendering low res shit and sound reverb issues in some caves) and I think it took me about 60hours to finish. There's a few bugs one of which can be pretty bad with save corrupting(might have to do with cloud saving though, turn that off) and it's also Uplay exclusive(can buy it on steam but steam launches uplay to launch the game...). Do understand it's tile based turn based though, it's not heroes of might and magic nor it is like elder scrolls.

Caliane

yes, we should probably keep tabs on that.

Might and magic X is out, and fantastic. on steam and/or uplay.
Blackguards is out. have not played it yet. on steam, and?

Divinity: original sin is on steam EARLY ACCESS.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've played like the first part of the demo of Blackguards and it seems alright. I can see where it would put people off but I think I'll probably enjoy it as I get farther in.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not to derail the anime bashing, but...

If you have a PC, grab Might and Magic X. It's a hell of a lot of fun. An old-school tile/turned-based RPG just like the old M&Ms, or games like Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Stonekeep, etc. Been playing the hell out of it all weekend. First RPG I've played in quite a while where I can sit down and 6 hours passes by like nothing. Can't recommend it enough for old-school PC RPGers
I concur. First gaming boner I've had since Legend of Grimrock.

Northerner

N00b
Definitely a game I know I'll love. Don't have time for it right now though so I'll pick it up in the summer one sale or with the inevitable DLC or whatever.

Still requires uPlay though doesn't it? Rustles my jimmies but oh well, such is life.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, Lords of the Fallen gave me a huge erection. Hopefully it is at least slightly fun to play.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That doesn't look terrible for a Japanese game, but I'd go fucking crazy if I couldn't shut that one bitch up. Does she make those noises the entire fucking time?

Also, while it makes sense for the butthole to be the critical area you want to hit on a creature, it was nice of that giant one to stand there and take it up the pooper for half of its life before deciding to attack. And watch its baby die without lending a hand as well.

Sean_sl

shitlord

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And what would be the point of 60 FPS in a slow-moving cartoon JRPG? Nothing. There is absolutely no benefit to 60fps over 30fps in a game like that.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And what would be the point of 60 FPS in a slow-moving cartoon JRPG? Nothing. There is absolutely no benefit to 60fps over 30fps in a game like that.
Uh, false. It's an Action-RPG. It's not turn based. FPS is pretty important in Tales' combat systems. Are you retarded dude?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Its a decade-old RPG. I doubt their collision detection and combat engine is so precise and complex that 60fps or 30fps makes any difference in gameplay whatsoever.

Look, the 60fps vs 30fps argument makes sense in some games, it's a legitimate gameplay difference. This is not one of those. Not every game needs to be 60fps. Some games it just doesn't matter at all.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Uh, it's an action series that makes use of Frame-Canceling and Juggling. FPS matters.

You don't know what you're talking about and clearly never played a game in the series, so shut the fuck up.