RPGs of 2014

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
All it means is that the timing is slightly different. It's not like you were just playing the Gamecube version yesterday, and now the slightly different timing for attack moves is going to throw you off on this version. It's still a cell-shaded cartoon with pretty crappy graphics by todays standards. 60FPS would have added nothing of tangible value to the graphics or gameplay.

Look, I get that you're passionate about it, after clicking on your links I see that there's a Collectors Edition that comes with a bunch of dolls and stuff, but 30 FPS isn't the end of the world in every gameplay situation.

You could port Pong to the PS4 in 60fps, would it make any difference at all? Nope.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not a Gamecube port, that's why. It's a port of the PS2 version that was JP only and which ran at 30 fps.

Framerate aside, I think itlooksfar better on PS3. I hate heavy outline shaders.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dude, FPS matters in any action game. You should just stop posting, because you are retardedly wrong.

Anyone who thinks that 60 FPS doesn't matter is a genuine idiot.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I giggled at the thought of somebody complaining they only have 30FPS instead of the usual 60FPS on a tales game causing them to drop their combos.
Thats a bit far fetched haha

Makes a difference, sure.. a huge one.. highly unlikely

Sean_sl

shitlord
Like, I can't believe you faggots are so whipped by shitty console hardware that you think FPS doesn't matter. Either that or you have extremely shitty PCs.

Going from 30 fps to 60 fps in ANYTHING isinstantly noticeableand is a much better, smoother experience.

And going from 60 fps on the GameCube to 30 fps on the PS3 is a fucking travesty.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I suggest you go read some eye research tests. Some people can not tell the difference over 20fps and some can at over 200 fps. The average person in a game like tales will not see a difference at all.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh bull fucking shit. You have to be a complete retard to not know the difference when playing a game. It's not all about your eyes.

Fuck, when did this board devolve into such a pack of dipshits? You would be laughed out of other places.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For film the average person can't see above 22 - for CRT style screens the average is closer to 40. (LCD is probably the same, I bet plasma runs a little lower though just a hunch though)

So yes, barring a few oddballs, 30 fps vs. 60 fps should be noticeable except extremely low outliers unless they're playing on an odd type of display.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
And if you think the animation lag has to do with just fps you need to go to learn even more than this thread has already shown you need.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And if you think the animation lag has to do with just fps you need to go to learn even more than this thread has already shown you need.
Animation smoothness between 30 and 60 FPS is huge. So is device input lag and responsiveness.

Retards like you are a cancer.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Did you seriously link a youtube video to compare FPS? All youtube videos are locked at 30 fps. It doesn't matter if a source was 60 and will not be represented properly at all.

Holy shit, this place is a sad shell of its former self.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wouldn't showing a 30FPS video of a 60FPS game defeat the purpose? But I do agree with Sean, you can definitely see a difference in smoothness when you increase the FPS, if you can't I think you might have some serious eyes issues. This is very obvious when you play a PC port that has shitty FPS toggles, or if you can cap your FPS to a specific number in a game. Going from 30 to 60 is extremely noticeable if anything at all is happening on the screen(like for a FPS, not so much for civilization).

Don't think it'd make a huge difference in Tales though. 30FPS is acceptable. The combat is action based but as far as I remember it doesn't have frame perfect requirements or extremely tight combo timing, it's fairly easy to play.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
k yo, fuck if I knew that youtube had a cap, here's one then:

iKuvI6jaWm9cy.gif

will that difference really matter in an action rpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
k yo, fuck if I knew that youtube had a cap, here's one then:

will that difference really matter in an action rpg
Yes, it really matters. Go play Dark Souls on PC with DSFix loaded up. With a single button press you can unlock the 30 FPS cap and play at 60 FPS. The effect is IMMEDIATELY noticeable and pretty much night and day. You can toggle the thing back and forth and it is impossible to not tell the difference.

Do you NEED the extra FPS? No. Do you want it and is it a HUGE improvement in how the game feels? Yes, yes it is and you do.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tbh the only change that matters and is the most important is the fact it has dual audio. The voice acting on the US version is fairly fucking shit. I really hope they do what Square did with LR from now on and have a free DLC with the japanese audio tracks. I can understand why that shit isn't on disc due to the size(fucking LR download was 4.6gb) but it's really fucking annoying when it's not available at all. Tales of Xillia had ok voice acting for the most part but anything that uses anime design sounds so wrong to me if it's voiced in english, same way I fucking hate watching dubbed TV shows in here vs the original US versions.

The black outlines change doesn't bother me much, looks better on some stuff, worse on other. Like Lloyd doesn't "pop" as much, but it looks much better on the blonde/white character to not have the outlines imo.