Running/Jogging

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I couldn't find a thread for this, so here we go. Share some personal records, running tips, training plans, gear advice, etc.

Personally, I started running last summer and have stuck with 5K & 10K so far. A number of my friends have done marathons, Ironmans, or other such crazy shit. I may go for a half marathon early next year, but I don't intend to go further.... for now. My times are nothing to brag about; I'm not placing or anything. But it does keep me from getting fat and the incremental progress keeps me going. Also a good time to clear you mind and think through a problem. And if you like the athletic body type, the scenery at group runs is fantastic.

So who else puts one foot in front of the other until they hate themselves?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea...I never understood the people who truly enjoy running. It's just so boring to me. I run 5k regularly, but only on a treadmill and only to get my heart rate up as part of a workout. More commonly I use the stairmaster because it simulates hiking/mountaineering more closely so it's great prep for when you can't actually get outside.

I suppose I am impressed by people who run marathons and all that, but it's just sooooo damn boring I genuinely don't understand it. Why not do exercise that is fun, or go kayaking, paddleboarding, or trailrunning at least? The mudruns and spartan races can be fun also.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I used to run quite a bit and it was always great exercise but I was never very good at it. I've moved on to more weight training and biking. I suppose boredom was an issue sometimes but you can zone out and sort of just draw into your thoughts or the music or whatever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've always been curious about this, but never really looked into it...

If you're working out and doing some sort of cardio (running, stairs, bike, whatever), do you actually burn significantly more calories if you do the activity in higher heat that makes you sweat more? Like, is running a mile in 90 degree heat going to burn a lot more calories than running that same pace on a treadmill in an air-conditioned room?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Without researching it I'm inclined to say that no, you won't burn considerably more calories. You'll lose a ton more weight on the scale because you'll be way dehydrated from sweating, but in terms of actual calorie and fat loss I think it would be a negligible difference. Your body and muscles aren't really working any harder simply due to the heat.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Ironically, I've heard that running in colder temperatures (say 40-50 degrees) actually burns more calories than 90-100 degrees because your body burns more calories attempting to warm itself up. Dunno how true scientifically it is.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been an avid endurance athlete for years now. Triathlons are my favorite, but they seem to be fairly rare here compared to the abundant amount of them when I lived in Florida.

I've done half/full marathons, 10k, and just about everything. So far have done two halves, this cool 10 miles/20 bands thing and 3 Trail 10ks that were actually really awesome. When I'm not training for something I run 5k three times a week and a 10k every Saturday morning. I keep a pace of 7:30 to 8:00 minute miles or so. I'm not super competitive or anything but I do like seeing my pace improve and shit.

Next year I'm going to do the Zion Half Marathon in Utah since its just a cool reason to go to that park.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I've always been curious about this, but never really looked into it...

If you're working out and doing some sort of cardio (running, stairs, bike, whatever), do you actually burn significantly more calories if you do the activity in higher heat that makes you sweat more? Like, is running a mile in 90 degree heat going to burn a lot more calories than running that same pace on a treadmill in an air-conditioned room?
This is what Google taught me:

our calorie expenditure is generally based on your body weight, workout intensity and duration of physical activity. However, exposing your body to hot temperatures during exercise does affect its calorie expenditure because of your body's need to cool itself, according to the American Council on Exercise. However, if you're going to work out in extreme heat, beware of dehydration and other heat-related illnesses, according to authors of a 2011 review in the "Journal of Athletic Training."

Hot vs. Cold Temperatures

According to the American Council on Exercise, you will indeed burn more calories in extreme heat than in moderate, more comfortable conditions. This is because your body expends additional energy trying to cool itself by pumping blood to your skin and sweating. On the flip side, working out in extreme cold temperatures -- which can cause your body to shiver -- may burn even more calories than sweating in extreme heat. This is because shivering is your body's way of expending energy to regulate your body temperature. ACE reports that shivering alone can burn 400 calories per hour.
And

Some basics to start. In general, you burn a mix of fat and carbs when you exercise. The more intense the exercise, the more that mix shifts toward carbs and away from fat. So the "first approximation" answer is that since running 9:00/mile requires a higher intensity in hot conditions than in cool conditions, you'd expect to burn a higher proportion of carbs in the heat.

But heat affects the body in a lot of different ways, so we have to ask whether the body's fuel preferences change in hot conditions. It turns out that they do. As this Spanish study from 2010 noted:Exercise in the heat (40 C) increases muscle glycogen oxidation and reduces whole-body fat oxidation (Febbraio et al. 1994), in comparison to the same exercise intensity performed at 20 C

This makes the effect even more pronounced: not only does running in the heat increase your intensity (which increases the carb:fat ratio), but it also increases the carb:fat ratio even at the same intensity. So we can say pretty definitively that running at 9:00/mile in the heat burns a higher proportion of carbs and lower proportion of fat than running at the same pace in cooler conditions.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I suppose I am impressed by people who run marathons and all that, but it's just sooooo damn boring I genuinely don't understand it. Why not do exercise that is fun, or go kayaking, paddleboarding, or trailrunning at least? The mudruns and spartan races can be fun also.
I will run about 3 miles around my neighborhood but if I'm running a 10K or more, then it needs to be someplace scenic so that I can at least take in some great sights. I do a lot of runs at Disney World because it is fun to run through empty parks, some of the rarely seen back lots, and they have live bands and workers along the way cheering you on. A lot of people will stop momentarily to get a selfie with a character along the way. Aside from that, there better be some mountains, beach, or nice city to look at to make me run. A 10K through Detroit or Cleveland? Yeah, fuck that. 10K on A1A to FL Keys or down Las Vegas Blvd? Hell yeah.

I hate running, but as i approach 40 it keeps my weight/health in check. I'll do a half marathon eventually but it's just to say I did it once. After that I'll probably do some more fun runs like neon glow run, color run or the one below just to shake it up.

http://thezombierun.com/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So...either work out in a sauna, or a meat locker for maximum results. Got it
smile.png

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I do anywhere from3-6 miles 5-6 days per week on the treadmill. It's kinda boring but I usually just watch TV while I do it. The only reason I don't do more is my leg/foot start to hurt

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I mainly run marathons although I have done some half marathon and 30km races. My PB is 3:02, I?m working on running a sub 3 marathon, hopefully this fall if I can improve my diet and stop eating crap. I?m up to 13 marathons so far including a couple Boston?s. I did the Boston to Big Sur challenge this year?2 marathons 6 days apart?awesome experience.

To the people that say running is boring, to me its peaceful. I love going for my long runs early Satruday mornings when its quiet and no one is on the roads except the odd runner, and I only train outside. Since I live in Canada I also run through the winter outside?regardless of weather.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mainly run marathons although I have done some half marathon and 30km races. My PB is 3:02, I'm working on running a sub 3 marathon, hopefully this fall if I can improve my diet and stop eating crap. I'm up to 13 marathons so far including a couple Boston's. I did the Boston to Big Sur challenge this year.2 marathons 6 days apart.awesome experience.
Your marathon pace is under 7 minutes? Damn, that's impressive. I've got a long way to go.

Citz

Silver Squire
I mainly run marathons although I have done some half marathon and 30km races. My PB is 3:02, I'm working on running a sub 3 marathon, hopefully this fall if I can improve my diet and stop eating crap. I'm up to 13 marathons so far including a couple Boston's. I did the Boston to Big Sur challenge this year.2 marathons 6 days apart.awesome experience.

To the people that say running is boring, to me its peaceful. I love going for my long runs early Satruday mornings when its quiet and no one is on the roads except the odd runner, and I only train outside. Since I live in Canada I also run through the winter outside.regardless of weather.
Wow, that's a very good pace!

I've been running for a few years. Did 2 half (best is 1:44) and 1 full (4:40) so far. For the marathon, I really did not expect the pain I would have to endure. My mind was not ready. I'm trying again this year, aiming for sub 4 marathon. I'm also very much into obstacle races. I've tried pretty much all of them around here but I'm mainly into the Spartan Race as they are the most difficult.

Running really is about the challenge and I just enjoy thinking about nothing/mundane things while running. It's very calming. I never thought 4 years ago that I would ever be running a marathon.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I've always been into fitness and exercise. I use to absolutely love weight lifting; aesthetics, powerlifting, olympic lifting. But I learned maintaining muscle is too expensive (protein, food all the time.) So now I just do bodyweight and running.

I fell in love with quarter sprints. Holy shit it's like running for your life. Expanded my lungs like crazy. Other days I do long runs. I enjoy those because I get some good sun, and tan nicely. The quarter sprints help immensely. I start swimming again this week, so looking forward to that again. Once I get to UC Davis, i'll pick up a good road bike and start triathlon training.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I fell in love with quarter sprints. Holy shit it's like running for your life. Expanded my lungs like crazy. Other days I do long runs. I enjoy those because I get some good sun, and tan nicely. The quarter sprints help immensely. I start swimming again this week, so looking forward to that again. Once I get to UC Davis, i'll pick up a good road bike and start triathlon training.
I had to look up quarter sprints. Do you mean running multiple 400m sprints with minimal recovery in-between? Yeah, that is good speed training and it is very rough. 400m is a nasty sprint distance.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I want to have a reasonable chance of surviving the impending robot apocalypse so I do run a few times a week, although the only entertainment I get out of it is the occasional "how the fuck did this song get on here?" and flipping off the yapping dogs stuck in their electric fences. I do short sprints past the rental houses, just in case there's a drive-by or drug deal gone bad. Sometimes I get to wave to the repo man.

Anyway, walking takes too long. And without some exercise my circadian rhythm gets stuck in "that was a nice nap, lets take a nap."

I don't know how the fuck fat people even function.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I've been into triathlons for 3 years now. I love swimming and running, biking took a while to get used to (hardware is pricy and there's actually more to it than just pedal and go....cadence matters a lot)
I'm currently at around 6:30 to 7:00 a mile depending on incline when running 5ks, and the only way i've ever been able to break through plateaus (breaking under 8:00 mile, then 7:45 and later 7:30) was to run hill sprints. I suppose 400m sprint is the same theory and since it's flat you can really go all out as opposed to hills.
Hoping to pulverize my sprint tri record next month, i put a lot of miles in the last 3 months and it's paid off. I had to get my Diet in check big time tho, cause running and swimming will make you hungry like nothing else ever will, and it's easy to go overboard and overeat.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
jogging on the beach,
barefoot, sneakers, or watershoes?

I did barefoot once, never again. I guess you have to ease into it and do small distances first, build up some caluses etc. I went all out on the first couple days i was at the beach and ran 6 to 8 miles a day barefoot, Big mistake.

My blisters had blisters, and when they poped my feet looked like i ran barefoot in a nest of brown recluses. Fuck that shit.