Running/Jogging

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I got made fun of in the "losing weight thread" or whatever it is because I was 6' 195 and wanted to drop some pounds. I don't think my BMI is an issue at all.

I will admit I've never taken running seriously as a sport. I am pretty athletic but have alwaysHATEDrunning. I find it incredibly boring. In my youth I wasn't much of a sprinter but could always run distances well no problem but I don't think I've seriously tried it since high school. I'm only doing it now because my wife wanted to do a stupid color run together. I figured 5k would be no problem with my past experience but I guess my "old" is catching up to me. In my few training runs my shins have started causing me issues after about 3/4 of a mile and if I try to run subsequent days usually shorter. I'm not sure if I want to invest a lot of time/money into the issue because I'm sure this will also be my last organized run of this sorts (have I mentioned that I hate running?) but I'd at least like to not embarrass myself out there.

Funny thing is I've done a couple of Tough Mudders now and the jogging/running never bothered me on those either but the stints you were running were pretty broken up by the obstacles.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Get calf compression sleeves. They cost $20-30. Also, if your running shoes are old, look at replacing them or getting new insoles. Both things improved how my shins/calves felt, particularly after a long/hard run. I don't always wear the compression sleeves though..again mostly for longer runs (say 5-6miles or more), but if ive had a high volume week, I might put them on for shorter runs (3-4miles) just so they dont start to hurt.

I imagine you're running on concrete whilst training for this 5k so the TM comparison doesn't apply (soft ground vs hard). If you have a HS track nearby, and it has a rubber top, try running on that...honestly i hate running on tracks because its boring, but it might save your shins some punishment. I much rather just plot a large circular course and run that..which is easy enough in nyc.

I'm 6'1 and around the same weight but play soccer, so running is kind of necessary. I also lift 3-4 times a week on top of that. I've been as low as 178 doing pure cardio and not nearly as much lifting, and felt i looked emaciated.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'll give the compression sleeves a shot. I don't have a high-school track like that (it is cement) but there is a 1 mile long sawdust trail about a 5 minute drive from my house so maybe I'll move my training to that. Hopefully I can get trained up enough that my shins can make it through the 5k.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll give the compression sleeves a shot. I don't have a high-school track like that (it is cement) but there is a 1 mile long sawdust trail about a 5 minute drive from my house so maybe I'll move my training to that. Hopefully I can get trained up enough that my shins can make it through the 5k.
Don't overlook the advice about ramping up slowly. He's right, a lot of people try to go all out right off the bat, get discouraged or injured and quit. You can start with 0.75 to 1.5 mile runs at a nice manageable pace (10 - 12 minute miles are fine to get started). As those become more comfortable, scale up to 2, 2.5 then 3 mile runs. Run about 3 times a week. Maybe start with two 1 mile runs and a 1.5 mile run. Running on a softer surface may also help.

If you are running in old, general purpose sneakers, consider getting a new pair of shoes. Even if you don't go for a custom fitting, get a pair of distance running shoes from a brand you like. Asics/Brooks/New Balance/Saucony are all trusted brands in running, but Nike, Adidas and others make perfectly good entry level running shoes as well. I'm sure there are plenty of options in the $50-60 range at Dick's/Sports Authority/etc. I would suggest something that feels cushioned. If you are already having soreness, going minimalist is probably a bad idea.

Also, remember your feel swell as you run, so get something with a little room for expansion. Don't lace them super-tight either, just go for snug and your feet will expand to make them tighter as you get going.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Appreciate the feedback. I'm currently using the same shoes I used for doing the Tough Mudders which I believe are technically trail-running shoes, but not nearly as aggressive as some trail-running models. They are pretty light weight and toward the minimalist end of things though which was great for the TM but maybe for road running I'll have to look into some different shoes.

If it wasn't for the shin pain I think going 3 miles or even further wouldn't be a problem for me, definitely not getting gassed or anything and the rest of my legs feel fine, but I guess I'll have to ease into it a bit more to prevent injury.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Shin splints can be a total cunt. And once you have them, they can be a nightmare to get rid of. I picked them up a few years ago from too much mogul and terrain park skiing, and it took nearly two years for it to finally go away entirely. Never had it from running, for whatever reason.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I got shin splits pretty good during in HS during track season a couple times. Our coach always had us trace each letter of the alphabet with your toe while sitting down. Keep the knee still, pivot at the ankle.