Running/Jogging

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
After many crossfit injuries, now Im just resorting to running to unsuccessfully keep the pounds away. just 2 times a week, around 2-3 K, with a 5 k every other week.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Screw cardio. Just lift more heavy stuff instead. And have sex, drunken sex. Great cardio.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm mainly a MTB'er/road cyclist, but I run two 5Ks a week and one 10k a month during the spring/summer and hit the treadmill quite a bit in the winter. I don't hate it, but don't love it either. It's a necessary evil though if you want to be competitive in other sports IMO. Running is the fat eraser, and spending even half an hour in Z3-Z4 a couple of times a week will get your cardio up in a hurry.

My 5k PR is 24:06 (7:47 pace) and my 10k PR is 52:05 (8:22 pace). My best 1 mile is a 7:25. I've been shooting for a half marathon since last season, but I'm 5'10 /180lbs and after 6-7 miles my knees start hating me. I have the cardio for a half, just not the legs apparently. It's almost definitely because my form/stride is shitty, but since I only run to offset the occasional burrito and to get through the winter without putting on 10 holiday pounds I'm not super concerned with it.

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of great places for trail running near me, and the high school where I live has an absolutely mint clay track that's empty almost every time I go there after work. Pavement sucks, so it's pretty sweet to have good options nearby.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm fat and slow but I jog at least 2.5 miles 5 times a week. At least I'm out there trying I guess...which is more than my lazy ass did a month ago.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'm fat and slow but I jog at least 2.5 miles 5 times a week. At least I'm out there trying I guess...which is more than my lazy ass did a month ago.
Hmm. Inspirational anyway. What's fat in your book?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
5 times a week is a lot. Seems like it would be hard on the knees, especially if you are carrying extra weight. Have you considered rotating in some cycling, swimming, or other lower impact cardio?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dont own a bike and my place doesn't have a pool.

My hips get a bit sore sometimes, that's usually when I take an off day. I figure 30-45min of jogging isn't going to kill my joints. -shrug-

What's fat in your book?
Me. I'm 5'9" and 238 right now. When I started I was 267

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I didn't read shit about easing into it so I've basically just been doing what feels right with jog a street, walk a street. But my limiting factor seems to be my calves, which turn into burning steel cords when I'm not even getting winded yet. I feel like I'm hardly even getting my heart rate up. And I half-jokingly think "if Hugh Jackman can't grow calves what hope do I have?"

Being sedentary for so long has its costs I guess. I expected knees or ankles or heart pounding out of my chest or nausea. Nope, just sore calves. An annoyance because I don't feel like I'm pushing myself at all anywhere else.

I guess I need to research wtf I'm doing so I'm not wasting my time. Or just be patient.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't experienced the same thing, but I notice a lot of joggers use compression sleeves on their calves. Maybe it's a common thing and they help? Not sure exactly what they do.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't run for pleasure, it sucks, but I sign up to races a few times a year to keep me motivated, otherwise I'd be a fat mess. Have done 3 Marathons and will be doing my 4th this November, goal is to break 4 hours. PR is 4:08:00 and my last was 4:12:00. I usually run about 4 days a week when training plus a day or 2 for cross-training. I plan out a 4.5 month training schedule prior to a Marathon. During off-season I still do 5Ks / 5 milers / Half Marathons but I don't train nearly as hard, maybe run 1-2x a week if I'm lucky.

I've also been doing some Triathlons. Have done 3x International distance and 1x Sprint. I'm not fast by any means. Swim takes me about 30 mins (1 mile), I average 18 MPH on bike and my run pace is usually 9min miles (45min for 5miles). After doing 3 International Tris back-to-back I want to do some Sprints again and try to ramp up my bike & run pace. I think I can get my bike to 19+ MPH, still nowhere near the 25mph of the leaders.

I'll likely never attempt an Iron Man or Half Iron Man, but sometimes the idea is tempting. Maybe the day I quit gaming I'll go for it... (never).

I know I'll never get close to winning a race but running on closed roads through crowds of people gets the adrenaline going and pushes me harder than when I run on my own. If you have a hard time getting motivated, sign up for a 5K and go from there. Took me ~5 years before I got the courage to try a Marathon. I never ran in High School/College so it was all rather new to me when I started in my mid-20s.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just don't wear compression socks while running like my dumb ass. Good god the pain on the top of my foot for the next week was infinitely worse than the plantar fasciitis that I was trying to help. Moving my big toe caused my foot to "creak"

But ya I have problems with my calves too. Actually it is really just my right calf (soleus). Definitely has gotten better the more I have run though.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've done one marathon and three ultra marathons (Two 100 milers, one 24 hour endurance run). I'm not a great runner, my times are never anything special but I do thoroughly enjoy a good long run.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I've had this problem for a while and ask about it in various circles over the years but have never gotten a good answer...

When I jog a part of my calf muscle becomes exhausted, very tight and burns (likely from lactic acid) very quickly. On the order of within several minutes of jogging. This happens if I walk quickly too. The name of the muscle isperoneus longus.

This has always stifled my running because long before any of my other muscles get tired or I get winded I am forced into a limp from this little guy running down the side of my calf. It's all flexed up and is hard as iron. When I finish the jog it'll be in a lot of pain and only after an hour+ of rest will it relax. (Cold showers/ice/elevation help this of course).

The PL plantar-flexes and everts the foot. My theory is that I run in some stupid way where I am erroneously exercising the muscle, causing it to exhaust quickly. I don't know how good my running form is, but I strike the ground with the ball of my foot. I've tried different strides, but it seems everything outside my normal stride makes it hurt even worse.

Both legs get this, but the left leg gets in the worst (I'm right handed). Most of the pain is near the top, but it's not localized on the tendon.

Any ideas?

edit: After some googling I might have this:

Athletes Training Athletes :: Blog

Or I might just be doing this (Rotating the toes outward):
evback.jpg

when I run, causing my PL to take the heat from running instead of my gastrocnemius.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have the exact opposite problem. The front of my lower legs (shins) start to get very tight/painful after even a little bit of running. I'm not sure if it is a lack of form issue or just a lack of running issue. I don't have the same tightness/pain when playing softball and I'm running down a fly ball or running the bases but those instances tend to be sprints and not distance running/jogging. Also on a softer surface than pavement...

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
EDIT: opiate, that's shin splints. Go to a running shoe store and have them watch you walk/run, they'll tell you if you're over/under pronating and help you pick out a shoe. I used to struggle with shin splints but after getting good shoes and just getting the mileage in, it stopped being an issue. You'll want to run/walk at such a slow easy pace that you don't even feel like it was a workout AND ice your shit afterwards. If you make it a very very gradual progression you ought to be alright.

Talk to a professional of some sort, both of you, if you really care. May as well get a proper diagnosis. If your BMI is 30+ then lose weight before running. Your joints don't need that shit.

That being said; how often do you run? I was a NCO in the USMC; I've seen many many many men talk about how their shit is fucked and thats why they can't run, but they've never actually approached it as a sport and taken appropriate measures to develop themselves. Look at the couch to 5k program, it starts off really really slow. Something like "jog 40 seconds, walk 2 minutes; repeat 4x". 90 percent of the problems novices run into is that they go kill themselves on a run that's way too much for them, then feel like shit and don't run anymore for weeks/months.

The goal is to force an adaptation response from the body and that isn't going to happen if you go run a 5k and tear your shit apart then refuse to run again for weeks. Sloooowwww jog/walks is how you ought to begin.

Or, just say fuck cardio and go lift.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah if you over pronate they make shoes that control motion and help with that. And yeah a lot of people go try to run 3-4 miles right out and they feel sore and shitty for a few days afterwards and just give up.