San Diego fishing trip and then road trip to San Francisco

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
So a couple of buddies and I are heading to San Diego next week, fishing for a few days, and then taking our time driving to San Francisco and flying back. Only one of us has ever been out there before, and it's been probably 20 years since he was there last. We're flying in Thursday night and we've got a boat rented for Friday, Saturday, and possibly Monday if we're feeling up to it. It's a 23' boat that we'll be captaining, leaving out of the Dana Landing Marina, I believe it's called. Tuesday morning we'll be renting a car and heading up to San Francisco over the next few days, aiming for the most scenic route possible. Our flight doesn't leave from San Francisco until later on in the day on Friday, so we'll have plenty of time to stop along the way. One thing we do have to include is a drive to the Redwood Forest so my buddy can scatter his parents' ashes. I've gotten a few suggestions from other friends/family on what to do while we're out there, but I figure it couldn't hurt to have more input. What I'm really wondering is--

1) We fish all the time here in Florida, but we're on the gulf side and it barely gets deeper than 50 feet out here. Is it feasible to think that we'll be able to take a 23' fishing boat out on to the pacific and land some monster fish, or is that just a pipe dream?

2) We will also be bringing barely any fishing gear besides just a few basic tackle boxes with sinkers/planers/hooks/etc... and no rods or reels with us. Are there any good tackle shops nearby that will rent us gear for a few days without charging us an arm and a leg?

3) What kind of techniques should we be expecting to use out there? I've tried googling, but haven't really been able to come up with much usable info. Are there any wrecks/reefs/particular spots we should be focusing on hitting?

4) I just read that this is gray whale migration season and we'd love to catch a glimpse of a whale or two. Is there anything special we need to know about, I guess it would be whale watching? I.e. Where to see them, how to not get capsized by them, etc...

5) Once we're all fished out, where should we head in San Diego before we leave, or at night, whenever?

6) We're aiming to mostly drive up the coast, what are the can't-miss spots that we should stop at on our way north?

7) Once in San Francisco, what kind of things should we be looking to do or see? Is Alcatraz worth it?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the trip was sprung on me at the last moment and I really want to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, especially with the fishing. Thank you in advance for any insights.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
1 - 4: Dunno.

5: Gaslamp District downtown is good for drinks and nightlife. Pacific Beach is fine if you're in your 20's, but probably not if you're older. Find a Mexican restaurant that has a name *insert first name here*-bertos and get some carne asada burritos or fries.

6: Take the 5 to LA and then transfer over to the 101 and stick to the 1/101 all the way up. If you see something interesting (you will) just find a place to stop and check it out. Tons of stuff to see. Big Sur especially comes to mind.

7: Alcatraz is pretty cool, but if I could only go see one thing in the SF area it'd be the Muir Woods (just take the Golden Gate bridge and head north for a bit). San Francisco itself is an attraction, so you could also just spend time wandering around. Just watch out for shit on the ground in certain areas. I'm pretty sure there's an app for that.

Vinen

God is dead
Castro district is great if you like wangs. Tenderloin is great of you like the small of piss and or would like to to visit one of the Brothels.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
Thanks Adam, some great tips in there. I hadn't even thought of Big Sur, but it's definitely on the list now. None of us are into wangs and it's probably going to be a pretty tame trip since we're trying to get so much done in a little time we'll probably end up sober most of the trip. Maybe a brothel, but we're all married or close to it, so probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I would definitely recommend Muir Woods. Just dress warmly as it will be cooler up here than down there. =P

It's winter so the water has cooled off a bit and a lot of the bigger fish have stopped biting, but you can still find some nice fishing around. The Coronado islands and the La Jolla kelp both have yellowtail this time of year. The best ways to catch them are with a live sardine rigged with a dropper loop off the bottom, or by "yo-yoing" an iron deep.

A 23' boat should be fine for fishing around here and for gear, you can check either Seaforth sportfishing, or Fisherman's landing. Both places should rent gear pretty cheaply.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you want to go to Alcatraz you have to call/reserve online a couple days ahead to make sure you can get a ticket.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
While around Muir Woods, I would also hit up the Marin Headlands. The lighthouse at Point Bonita is really cool.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the heads up about Alcatraz, I had no idea. We'll definitely make sure to do that once we know what day(s) we'll be up that way. And the google image search for Marin headlands looks pretty awesome. Thank you guys again for the recommendations, we're all getting pretty excited, especially about the fishing and the scenery.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The fucking headlands are awesome. Drive it down to the Nike missile site and the beach. Muir Woods, too.

Everyone with you will enjoy the headlands drive. Trust us, do it.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While around Muir Woods, I would also hit up the Marin Headlands. The lighthouse at Point Bonita is really cool.
I second this. Also when you are to Fishermans Wharf, check out Lombard Street as well in SF, any other must sees i cant remember?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The hill Jackie is talking about is Hawk Hill. Just be very careful because that hill (Headlands) is a very popular spot for cyclists, especially the backside -- which is quite scary. :O

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As Adam12 mentioned, on your drive up you definitely want to stick to 1/101 so you see everything along the coast. If you don't, you'll be driving straight up 5 and seeing nothing but farmland and cow pastures (and smelling their shit in a few select spots) and the most boring fucking parts of California.

There are a ton of random little spots you can stop at along the way, although you're missing the prime beach weather, and all the fantastic women, obviously. A good spot to stop right before SF is Monterey and Carmel too. Not sure if you're into aquariums at all (and I haven't been there in probably 20 years so who knows if it is still as awesome) but the Monterey aquarium used to be worth the visit.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
Well now I'm definitely in for the headlands and hipster hunting. That sounds badass. We're planning on the 1/101 up for the scenery. We figure it's worth the few extra hours not to be stuck inland, and not to smell cow shit either. Carmel was one of the stops on our list, especially since one of the guys going with us is a big golfer and Pebble Beach is right there apparently. Is it worth wandering over that way to check it out if we're not going to be playing a round? Thanks again.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pebble is well worth it, but afaik admission was/is limited to golfers and friends to anything beyond reception house.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I was going to recommend the Aquarium at Monterey as well but it doesn't sound like they have that much time to spend. It's like a 3-6 hour stop easily but it's great if you're into fish at all. I've been there probably 7 times and would happily go again but I like fish.

Lurkus Maximus

Trakanon Raider
I've actually been going back and forth on the aquarium idea. It seems like a great idea, but we are coming from Florida so usually what we end up seeing in aquariums is stuff we end up running over on the way out to fish here anyway. Side note: One of the main docks I use shares their dock with that bullshit winter the dolphin tour and the bastards think they own the waters and get in everyone's damn way because they were in a crappy movie. How does the aquarium stack up against, say, the aquarium at Mandalay Bay in Vegas? That's one of the biggest I can recall going to lately and it was pretty decent. Along those same lines, would the San Diego zoo be worth it? I was thinking yes, but then they pointed out that we can go to Busch Gardens any time we want and none of us could even remember the last time we went there.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I haven't been to Mandalay bay but the one at Monterey is huge. It's probably a bit different because they have fish just from the Monterey Bay. There are some fucking HUGE tuna in there among many other things.