Satisfactory

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I have started this game a few times but I seldom get too far because it just seems so daunting to play it solo. Also, is there an end goal at all? I think with Factorio there was a scenario to get off the planet, right? Anything like that?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have started this game a few times but I seldom get too far because it just seems so daunting to play it solo. Also, is there an end goal at all? I think with Factorio there was a scenario to get off the planet, right? Anything like that?
I think getting this achievement is the current "winning condition" for the game. Cup

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
If you pretend the last space elevator shipment is you leaving the planet it's basically the same.

Before I quit, which was before native blueprinting, I ended up using a save editor a bunch since it was much easier to scale up in an editor than in game. If I fire it up again I'm probably most curious about that functionality to see how the game feels in that mid to late "scale everything up" phase.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It would actually be good if they made the vehicles faster, they're too slow at the moment..
But yeah, signed up, looking forward to 1.0. This is a really good game.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I keep meaning to come back to this one. Can't remember how long ago it was that I played last. Before the Unreal update though for sure.

I really need to revisit Factorio too. Both games are so fucking good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I keep meaning to come back to this one. Can't remember how long ago it was that I played last. Before the Unreal update though for sure.

I really need to revisit Factorio too. Both games are so fucking good.
I have never played either one. Which would you recommend to someone new to these games?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure someone like Tuco who's put way more time into these can answer. My gut would say Factorio is a more finished product.

I last played Factorio December 2020 (90 hours), and Satisfactory July 2022 (48 hours).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I have never played either one. Which would you recommend to someone new to these games?
I bought Satisfactory a while ago, but only my son has put time in it so far. I plan on doing Factorio first and then trying this.

I put 150 hours into Dyson Sphere program, and they recently patched in some Dark Fog mechanic that makes you get attacked in waves at certain levels of tech; but I preferred the peaceful option.

I just finished it on Sunday (there is a You Won The Game research item at the end of the tech tree) and had put industry on two planets and a gas giant in my solar system, plus additional industry in three more solar systems.

I found the game loop pretty good. And it looks decent too (an orbit of solar sails and the Dyson Sphere just started):

1707351351729.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not knowing what you'd like, I'd recommend Dyson Sphere Program over Satisfactory or Factorio. Satisfactory is fun but for an experienced gamer the non-factory gameplay is a bit generic open-world exploration. Factorio has deeper factory gameplay (especially with mods), but is less appealing visually.

DSP is the kind of game where when you finish you can look at what you built in absolute awe of the majesty of it all. The other games in that genre don't really have that.

Note that I only played right at release, presumably the game has gotten better since then.

• 2Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played factorio. It's hard for me to pick which I'd prefer over satisfactory or dyson sphere program as they are both great games, but I might give a slight edge to satisfactory.
Satisfactory has a lot more flexibility in how you build factories because it's 3 dimensional and IMO it looks better. The open world is definitely generic as Tuco says but it looks great before you completely ruin it by plonking massive factories down on top of it.

• 1Worf

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I agree with Tuco's assessment although I'd be curious what his end-state satisfactory might look like comparable to his dyson science world. He blew right by the "mission accomplished" achievement and started counting his science production in exponents.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree with Tuco's assessment although I'd be curious what his end-state satisfactory might look like comparable to his dyson science world. He blew right by the "mission accomplished" achievement and started counting his science production in exponents.
Satisfactory has probably improved since then, but the limited blueprint tools made scaling up really tedious. There was some modded tools but you had to connect the pipes and belts yourself, which is half the work anyway.

What I really liked about Satisfactory was connecting everything with vehicles, which none of the other games really have. DSP has really powerful spaceships and Factorio has much more involved (and fun!) trains.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played factorio. It's hard for me to pick which I'd prefer over satisfactory or dyson sphere program as they are both great games, but I might give a slight edge to satisfactory.
Satisfactory has a lot more flexibility in how you build factories because it's 3 dimensional and IMO it looks better. The open world is definitely generic as Tuco says but it looks great before you completely ruin it by plonking massive factories down on top of it.
The flexibility of the third dimension and free form belt system is actually what put me off from it. In DSP (and Factorio) each factory is a little puzzle that you can solve in a multitude of ways, with many of those puzzle challenges being difficult enough to scratch your head over for a play session before choosing a way that works that you happen to like the aesthetics of.

Conversely, Satisfactory is nearly 100% aesthetics, where any configuration of belts will work as well as any other.

In addition to embracing the vehicles I really embraced the verticality of the buildings, building each factory as a tower, it was kinda fun but didn't scratch the factory building itch as much.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not knowing what you'd like, I'd recommend Dyson Sphere Program over Satisfactory or Factorio. Satisfactory is fun but for an experienced gamer the non-factory gameplay is a bit generic open-world exploration. Factorio has deeper factory gameplay (especially with mods), but is less appealing visually.

DSP is the kind of game where when you finish you can look at what you built in absolute awe of the majesty of it all. The other games in that genre don't really have that.

Note that I only played right at release, presumably the game has gotten better since then.
I kept waiting for you to respond.

So is DSP not three dimensional?

I had been excited before DSP came out but I feel like for some reason it had a rocky start?

The problem with all of these it sounds like is that none of us have played recently so no clue what the current state is.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Part of the problem is much of the fun, for me at least, is discovering the tech tree, exploring the "world," and learning the shortcuts/tricks to optimize production.

Once I've done that it's really hard to go back and replay even if they've made major improvements over time. I've already seen the Satisfactory world. Already grinded up through basic production, power generation, and cross map transportation. It's tedious to me to do that again. A new game might have the same mechanics and the same grind but at least in my mind it's not repeating something I did a couple years ago.

I'd guess that's why it's hard to find someone here or on other review platforms that can give a true up to date comparison of these games. There's also a weird situation where many of these economy/factory sim games get early releases which is great and allows them to iterate into a really great game. It's just that many of the genre's true fans probably won't ever play that 1.0 release years later.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's definitely true. The magic of discovery wears off.

Especially with something like Factorio where it's a learning experience on the game outside the game of finding the blueprints you want and how that system works. Even though I haven't played it in years, I still remember it and so it spoils that experience.

Mods definitely help in changing that up and giving you a new thing to play. But that relies on someone actually making one worth a crap.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the simpler look of factorio gives you a better feel of the factory than DSP.
But DSP is beautiful and feels more like a 21th century game

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
+1 for DSP but I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it now if I'm having to worry about defending against alien swarms. Part of it's charm for me was how chill it was.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I kept waiting for you to respond.

So is DSP not three dimensional?

I had been excited before DSP came out but I feel like for some reason it had a rocky start?

The problem with all of these it sounds like is that none of us have played recently so no clue what the current state is.
I played DSP when it was first released and it had a solid start, was worth playing then with just enough buggy and underdeveloped systems to make it fun for people like me that enjoy early access games. I stopped playing at March 2021 (about 2 months after it released in early access) and don't know how it evolved.

DSP is three dimensional, in that you can literally fly off the planet's surface and fly directly to another solar system, but the factory building is "2.5" dimensional. You can stack belts a bit, but can't stack buildings. In late game I focused on creating massive factories that could be copy-pasted using the broke ass modding tools at the time, so my factory lines stacked belts to the limit of the game and it was really time consuming to make somewhat cursed factories.

Conversely, Satisfactory building is completely 3 dimensional. I even toyed with creating small footprint factories that grew to enormous heights, but didn't pursue it. You could put nearly the entire factory I showed earlier into a very small footprint.