Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

khalid

Unelected Mod
What is the problem that solar roadways is the sexy solution to?

Gee whiz science is interesting when its pushing the boundaries of technology. This isn't. We have plenty of institutions and governments pushing for more efficient solar panels and tougher solar panels. This shit is just a money sink for the clueless.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Solar sidewalks is the ultimate white person solution. That is, until someone can figure out an expensive way to turn my corgi or baby into solar panels.

Bonus points if you have to lobby your local township to build a sidewalk where one didn't exist before. White people love lobbying for sidewalks.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Gee whiz science is interesting when its pushing the boundaries of technology. This isn't. We have plenty of institutions and governments pushing for more efficient solar panels and tougher solar panels. This shit is just a money sink for the clueless.
So basically it's like if Steve Jobs ran a country

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
If a remember correctly Netherlands get allot of rain.
What happens when this "solar" road get all caked up in mud and dirt?
Are they going to start importing squeegee kids to give this thing a once over every couple of days?
Wouldn't it be better to mount all those solar panels on street light posts and slap in a motor to rotate them them so they have a better angle to capture the sun?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's human nature that a Sexy approach to the problem like a solar sidewalk will get more attention than ugly angled solar arrays. Policymakers are usually not scientists and neither is the general population. Sometimes the flashy product has to pave the way for the practical ones.
How does ridiculous solar ideas pave the way for nuclear power?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord

And yet, the sidewalk was built.

khalid

Unelected Mod
And yet, the sidewalk was built.
Did anyone say that you couldn't build a solar roadway? Yes, it got built, as many other boondoggles get built. The only thing building this thing does is give ammunition to idiots who can now say "Uh, yeah, but they built it in the Netherlands!".

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
JUst imagine what this world could accomplish if they gave stuff like this proper funding. We never have any money for science but are willing to spend trillions on bombing savages.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Imagine how fewer savages we would have to deal with if we ever got to take the gloves off and move on with whatever else.

iannis

Musty Nester
We could come up with better ways to bomb the savages, for a start!

You're right, our science budgets are too low. We could do better. Like tossing up giant radar antenna arrays into orbit around the moon and shit. We built the ISS. It took 2 decades and more money than was intended, but we did it. How about next we build an orbital manufactory and figure out an economical way to supply and maintain it?

But at the same time... savages do need to be bombed too. Can't let them go thinking they're not savages.

Borzak

A comment I saw on an article...

"Very impressive, I wonder if the engineers who did the incredible math required to make this happen can parallel park thier own car?" haha.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's dumb to put solar panels where cars and debris will block the sunlight, plus they make for bad traction on roads, multifunction devices often do any one particular function great.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A comment I saw on an article...

"Very impressive, I wonder if the engineers who did the incredible math required to make this happen can parallel park thier own car?" haha.
The question people should be asking is if they used a slide rule.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We could come up with better ways to bomb the savages, for a start!

You're right, our science budgets are too low. We could do better. Like tossing up giant radar antenna arrays into orbit around the moon and shit. We built the ISS. It took 2 decades and more money than was intended, but we did it. How about next we build an orbital manufactory and figure out an economical way to supply and maintain it?

But at the same time... savages do need to be bombed too. Can't let them go thinking they're not savages.
Maybe this is the first steps on making a Mass Driver?

Borzak

The question people should be asking is if they used a slide rule.
I'm a structural steel designer and project manager. I carry one in my bag when I have to go to the field. I would say maybe 1 in 10 people I show it to know what it is.