Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Wait, so negative numbers aren't a real to you because there is no physical manifestation of them? Your logic is retarded as any number positive or negative is a human prescription to a particular object at a particular frame of reference.

You may have 2 bananas, but I say you have 0.x mMol of K+, C, etc...
You're beginning to understand. Basically, when both sides of any physical property cannot be bound, then negative numbers are fine as results. When a side of a physical property can be bound, then negative numbers are irrational. So negative distances are not irrational, you can just frame it in the context of going backwards. Negative masses however are irational, because you can't shift the starting reference for mass, only the scale by which you measure it.

Another important thing to understand about negative numbers is when they represent a loss of information. i is essentially a mechanism to attempt to maintain information due to the fact that our number system is inherently one dimensional, but math is often calculated in a two dimension manner (most multiplication, division and above is two dimensional math in terms of equations). i is an attempt to preserve that information in the form of basically being a crude form of a second axis. The easiest way to explain it is that i is basically the up on a graph and -i the down on a graph. Anyone dealing with complex equations should be aware of when they are mathematically destroying information, such as in the simple equation -2 x -2 = 4, and strive to maintain that information or frame their mathematics in a way where the possibility of destroying information isn't required.

edit: and to be fair, for the VAST majority of situations, this is entirely unnecessary. Math generally works.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
-2 * - 2 = 4 is not destroying anything. It is true due to the properties of a set of object that we call integers.

By these properties, (-2) * (-2) = (-1) * (2) * (-1) * (2) = (-1) * (-1) * (2) * (2).
To define what the fuck (-1) * (-1) is we start with the additive inverses properties of integers, 1 + (-1) = 0. Then,
0 = (1 + (-1)) * (1 + (-1)) = 1 +1 * (-1) + 1 * (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)) = 1 + (-1) + (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)) = (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)), hence (-1) * (-1) = -(-1)=1.
Therefore we have (-1) * (-1) * (2) * (2) = (1) * (2) * (2) = 2 * 2 = 4.

Nothing is destroyed, these are the rules of the integers. I dont know shit about physics but please stop butchering my mathematics.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if there is any information being destroyed there, that information is still merely a human construct and so inconsequential in regards to reality.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Anyone dealing with complex equations should be aware of when they are mathematically destroying information, such as in the simple equation -2 x -2 = 4, and strive to maintain that information or frame their mathematics in a way where the possibility of destroying information isn't required.

edit: and to be fair, for the VAST majority of situations, this is entirely unnecessary. Math generally works.
This is gibberish. Mathematics doesn't work this way. Information theory doesn't work this way.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
-2 * - 2 = 4 is not destroying anything. It is true due to the properties of a set of object that we call integers.

By these properties, (-2) * (-2) = (-1) * (2) * (-1) * (2) = (-1) * (-1) * (2) * (2).
To define what the fuck (-1) * (-1) is we start with the additive inverses properties of integers, 1 + (-1) = 0. Then,
0 = (1 + (-1)) * (1 + (-1)) = 1 +1 * (-1) + 1 * (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)) = 1 + (-1) + (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)) = (-1) + ((-1) * (-1)), hence (-1) * (-1) = -(-1)=1.
Therefore we have (-1) * (-1) * (2) * (2) = (1) * (2) * (2) = 2 * 2 = 4.

Nothing is destroyed, these are the rules of the integers. I dont know shit about physics but please stop butchering my mathematics.
Grats, its a proof. That's independent of the point of my example. I never said the math was wrong. It is indeed very right.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Grats, its a proof. That's independent of the point of my example. I never said the math was wrong. It is indeed very right.
You said information is destroyed. I showed why thats a pants on head retarded statement and showed why information is not destroyed.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
to be fair, i should specifically said squaring a number destroys information. Because what is the root of 4. ect ect

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Nothing is destroyed. If we have a function f: A -> B where f(x) = x^2, then pre image of f = {2, -2}. As you can see, both numbers are still there. Fucking magical isnt it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Nothing is destroyed. If we have a function f: A -> B where f(x) = x^2, then pre image of f = {2, -2}. As you can see, both numbers are still there. Fucking magical isnt it.
Correct, the information destroyed is which number it came from.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Is there a number other than 4 that equals 2^2 or (-2)^2 ?
Information destroyed has to do with undoing the equation, not figuring out the possibilities. -2 and 2 squared both have one distinct answer. The root of 4 has two different distinct and correct answers. In the real world, there is typically only one solution to the equation what is the root of 4, and you sometimes have to solve to figure out which possiibility is irrational. This is a basic math concept, not sure what you're having a problem understanding.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am having problem understanding why you keep claiming something gets destroyed. It is not a mathematical concept that x^2 = 4 only has 1 answer. Unless you define your domain to be x >=0. If thats the case, then what are you losing?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Dude, if all you have been talking about is that you have to look at the solutions to equations and see if they actually apply when solving real problems, then no shit. This is covered in fucking basic algebra courses. You don't have any great insight, so stop acting like you are plugged into some secret truth with your brosef Einstein.

However, calling it "information being destroyed" is gibberish, pure fucking gibberish.

Rhuma_sl

shitlord
One thing that can help is to realize that mathematics is a world of
its own that can be used to MODEL things in the real world, but, like
any model, is not IDENTICAL to that real world. Negative numbers are
part of the "model world", not the real world. So there are some
situations where negative numbers make sense (and a negative answer
to a problem is valid), and others where they do not (so that a
negative answer just means there is no solution to the original
problem). In the case of temperatures, the 0 point (except in
absolute temperature) is arbitrary, so that SOME negative values are
possible, but others are not.