Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, when you assume the impossible (a frozen moment of time) then impossible things happen (a measurable "momentum" property within the particle).

I don't think it's silly, really. You just have to stipulate to yourself that it's not even theoretical... it's metaphorical.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Figuring out where velocity is "stored" is akin to solving issues with time travel. If we were able to timeskip, would our relative position be based on our local gravitational region of influence or the objective position in the universe?

Or in layman's terms, if you went back to 1955 in a DeLorean would you arrive at the same relative position on Earth or would you be floating in space?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How is mass stored in atoms? Why do you think one is different from the other?
Not sure what you're asking, but my perception is that mass is stored in the protons, neutrons and electrons. What gives them mass? I dunno, but at least I can look at a hydrogen atom:
18ontxblfw77lpng.png

And see the proton and electron. I don't see anything there that represents velocity.

Mudcrush, if my equation is:
p1 = p0 + v * time;

Isn't using that as an equation the same as what I said? Then again you're referring to probability clouds ex monte carlo methods to so I'm not sure what you're proposing and why you'd use a probabilistic method for a discrete problem.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Well, when you assume the impossible (a frozen moment of time) then impossible things happen (a measurable "momentum" property within the particle).
Bingo. If you could somehow make a measurement without time(impossible) you should be able to measure a particle's mass and its momentum.

Not sure what you're asking, but my perception is that mass is stored in the protons, neutrons and electrons. What gives them mass? I dunno, but at least I can look at a hydrogen atom:
I was being somewhat rhetorical, I understand why mass is easier to perceive but trying to foster a thought that it isn't necessarily any different.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man, now you guys are making me think about black holes moving with galaxies, the differing velocities of different points on a spinning plate, and Stargate episodes about time dilation being transmitted through wormholes yet the slowed part of the Earth not immediately ripping away from the planet.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
laws of nature have the mother explination 'because they happen'

Take gravity. Its an indisputable consistantly demonstratable fact that it works and mathematically how it works. But the reason for why is one of the oldest baffling questions in science. WHY are two objects attracted to each other. We don't have the slightest fucking clue.

So things move because they do. Thats just nature.
Gravity has nothing to do with objects being attracted to each other

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
18ontxblfw77lpng.png

And see the proton and electron. I don't see anything there that represents velocity.

Mudcrush, if my equation is:
p1 = p0 + v * time;

Isn't using that as an equation the same as what I said? Then again you're referring to probability clouds ex monte carlo methods to so I'm not sure what you're proposing and why you'd use a probabilistic method for a discrete problem.
Using an equation doesn't require discrete units of time. Maybe I misunderstood some of what was said.

Probability clouds and such was just a nod to the uncertainty principle. Maybe I'm just confused.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Using an equation doesn't require discrete units of time. Maybe I misunderstood some of what was said.

Probability clouds and such was just a nod to the uncertainty principle. Maybe I'm just confused.
What equation for position based on velocity doesn't use time?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I thought someone was saying there was a problem with using increments of time to figure out movement. If not, then /grandgalacticinquisitor IGNOREME /offgrandgalacticinquisitor.
Ah, are you saying that a position tracking model doesn't need to run at discrete units in time ex, update every millisecond, but can instead be run from an arbitrary starting point to an arbitrary endpoint with a complete equation?

If so then yeah, I agree. Some of my vehicle modeling code does propagation by moving the systems many times at discrete time steps to achieve a given time propogation which I guess is very common but I've always wanted to replace it with a single propagation but have never seriously looked into it. I've also had problems modeling ackermann vehicles that have a steering angle and a steering angle rate of change.

Since this is a science thread, I'll pose this quandary and see if anyone wants to walk me through it!!
sQWtb7t.png

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Ah, are you saying that a position tracking model doesn't need to run at discrete units in time ex, update every millisecond, but can instead be run from an arbitrary starting point to an arbitrary endpoint with a complete equation?
Yes. Assuming you have the equation. Of course that can be the sticky part.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
If so then yeah, I agree. Some of my vehicle modeling code does propagation by moving the systems many times at discrete time steps to achieve a given time propogation which I guess is very common but I've always wanted to replace it with a single propagation but have never seriously looked into it. I've also had problems modeling ackermann vehicles that have a steering angle and a steering angle rate of change.

Since this is a science thread, I'll pose this quandary and see if anyone wants to walk me through it!!
sQWtb7t.png
I barely remember calculus and what I remember isn't up to this. I'm sure that a formula for what you need could be derived somehow. Not by me though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Every time I come to this thread I think "Well, I don't understand what these guys are talking about, but I'm pretty sure that they don't either."

Valishar

Molten Core Raider

sQWtb7t.png
With the conditions of the problem set up as they are, I don't think solution 1 has an answer. You end up short and hit y=10 before x=5 even at max steering rate.

With:
Vx = 3*sin(Theta) m/s
Vy = 3*cos(Theta) m/s
And theta is the angle of current steerage. Which is described by some function with variable T.

Then again its been ten years since ive done this sort of thing so I'm really rusty. Probably fucked up the integrals.