Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I see new posts in this thread and think "Hmm, I wonder what's new in the world of science." and then every time I click on it it's just a bunch of blowhards arguing with each other about shit they don't understand. I don't know why I keep thinking that it's a good thing to do.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I see new posts in this thread and think "Hmm, I wonder what's new in the world of science." and then every time I click on it it's just a bunch of blowhards arguing with each other about shit they don't understand. I don't know why I keep thinking that it's a good thing to do.
You've just described every thread on rerolled, Sir.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Enlighten us! You're obviously smarter than everyone.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
My name was invoked, I simply responded to defend my e-honour. It wasn't me bringing this crap here.
vbIlaCN.jpg

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Earlier in the week I was going to suggest the thread be renamed:

'Science!! - Fucking magnets, debate them like politics.'

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Earlier in the week I was going to suggest the thread be renamed:

'Science!! - Fucking magnets, debate them like politics.'
i second this proposal

Full of jargon so it's undecipherable for a regular person though. If you guys are curious you could read this.
New law implies thermodynamic time runs backwards inside black holes
when i was really young and first learned about black holes (so, idk.... 12 or 13? i watched a lot of science documentaries when i was a kid) i remember having the thought that it would make sense if all the matter that goes into black holes ends up going back in time and popping back into regular existence at the point of the big bang. it sounds incredibly far fetched, but the daydreaming kid in me is tickled that this finding makes that off the wall idea a bit more plausible.
smile.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
He doesn't believe in General Relativity or Quantum Mechanics. That alone should tell you not to listen to him in any science discussion. The way he talks about gravitational waves makes it seem like he just grabs different parts of things he hears and randomly puts them together. Gravitational waves are not on the verge of being disproven as he oddly claims.

As for this case, he's not understanding the experiment or what it was meant to accomplish

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Homo naledi: New species of ancient human discovered, claim scientists | Science | The Guardian

A huge haul of bones found in a small, dark chamber at the back of a cave in South Africa may be the remnants of a new species of ancient human relative.

Explorers discovered the bones after squeezing through a fissure high in the rear wall of the Rising Star cave, 50km from Johannesburg, before descending down a long, narrow chute to the chamber floor 40 metres beneath the surface.

The entrance chute into the Dinaledi chamber is so tight - a mere eight inches wide - that six lightly built female researchers were brought in to excavate the bones. Footage from their cameras was beamed along 3.5km of optic cable to a command centre above ground as they worked inside the cramped enclosure.

The excavators recovered more than 1,500 pieces of bone belonging to at least 15 individuals. The remains appear to be infants, juveniles and one very old adult. Thousands more pieces of bone are still in the chamber, smothered in the soft dirt that covers the ground.

The leaders of the National Geographic-funded project believe the bones - as yet undated - represent a new species of ancient human relative. They have named the creature Homo naledi, where naledi means "star" in Sesotho, one of the official languages of South Africa, and the primary official language of Lesotho. But other experts on human origins say the claim is unjustified, at least on the evidence gathered so far. The bones, they argue, look strikingly similar to those of early Homo erectus, a forerunner of modern humans who wandered southern Africa 1.5m years ago.

"We've found a new species that we are placing in the genus Homo, which is really quite remarkable," said Lee Berger, a paleoanthropologist who led the work at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. He described the slender, small-brained creatures as "long-legged", "pinheaded" and "gangly". The males stood about 5ft, with females a little shorter.

Measurements of the bones show that the creature has a curious blend of ancient ape and modern human-like features. Its brain is tiny, the size of a gorilla's. Its teeth are small and simple. The thorax is primitive and ape-like, but its hands more modern, their shape well-suited to making basic tools. The feet and ankles are built for walking upright, but its fingers are curved, a feature seen in apes that spend much of their time in the trees. The findings are reported in two papers published in the online journal eLife.
The problems right now are two fold: The bones are very fragmentary, and its very difficult to date them due to the location they're at, due to the amount of disruption the site has seen. So there's a bit of controversy over whether it is a new species, or an early Homo Erectus, or a much more modern find, which would really cock things up for a time.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm sad Nat Geo was just bought out by Rupert Murdoch.

But yeah they'll have some of the top paleo-osteologists in the world going over these remains for some time, and will narrow down a solid window of where they probably fall in the evolutionary time line.

It would still be better if they could date them relative to some animal bones found at the site (but none were) or the sediment and rocks in the area. That would give us a hard time frame to begin working from.

Here's an open access journal on the findings.

Homo naledi, a new species of the genus Homo from the Dinaledi Chamber, South Africa | eLife

image of the collection of remains

rrr_img_109472.jpg

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problems right now are two fold: The bones are very fragmentary, and its very difficult to date them due to the location they're at, due to the amount of disruption the site has seen. So there's a bit of controversy over whether it is a new species, or an early Homo Erectus, or a much more modern find, which would really cock things up for a time.
Can they not radiocarbon date the bones? Or is it simply a matter of seeing how far into the layers of Earth the remains are, and that Earth being disturbed?

edit - apparently radiocarbon is one word. Although Radio Carbon Date might be my new band name.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Can they not radiocarbon date the bones? Or is it simply a matter of seeing how far into the layers of Earth the remains are, and that Earth being disturbed?

edit - apparently radiocarbon is one word. Although Radio Carbon Date might be my new band name.
Radiocarbon dating is only good to 50000 years. Half life of carbon is 5000 years. After 10 cycles, there isn't enough left to get an accurate reading.

This is a common misunderstanding about radiocarbon dating that leads to a shitload of confusion.

Remains over that must be dated by other methods, typically dating isotopes of other elements with longer half lives in the surrounding sediment and rock layers, other remains with known dates for other animals, etc.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Radiocarbon dating is only good to 50000 years. Half life of carbon is 5000 years. After 10 cycles, there isn't enough left to get an accurate reading.

This is a common misunderstanding about radiocarbon dating that leads to a shitload of confusion.

Remains over that must be dated by other methods, typically dating isotopes of other elements with longer half lives in the surrounding sediment and rock layers, other remains with known dates for other animals, etc.
Good info. I didnt know that.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Mothafucking K-Ar.

There's also things like gas chromatography and other shit for various kinds of materials. Isotopic dating is only one kind of method.