Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Basically what they said.

Also, the idea that I'm "deflecting" means you believe that gravitational waves not existing would have a very minimal impact on GR as a whole. That's really not the case. Gravitational radiation not existing would dramatically alter one of the most rock solid scientific theories there is.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I see the problem. His brain is in his ass and the pony plugs are slowly giving him a lobotomy.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
How about... IT'S REALLY FUCKING HARD TO DETECT.

At this point you're just being dense.
Correct, they are. That's why they did calculations to estimate how often we should we be detecting them. Do you think these calculations were wrong when they predicted how often we should detect something with current and historical detection capabilities? I already covered that detection isn't excluded yet, its just quite unlikely that we wouldn't have detected anything yet.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Do you think these calculations were wrong when they predicted how often we should detect something with current and historical detection capabilities?
Clearly they were since they went back and redesigned the LIGO systems to be 1000 times more sensitive.

And again, as I already posted, some gravitational waves were detected in the 70s, the Hulse Taylor Pulsar.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I used to like this thread, somehow hodj and furry ruined it.
Go fuck yourself for even remotely trying to blame me for Furry and Lendarios being fucking retarded.

Especially since Furry's been doing that QM/QE isn't real shit for literally months in this thread.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hodjs gravity posts were really good.

His logic posts with lendbro were shit though
biggrin.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I really didn't want to have to go around and around about logic with him, either, tbh. I dunno why he chose to play stupid for two pages on that shit. The gravity stuff was far more interesting to me as well.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't really understand gravity waves, but if the effects of gravity don't emanate from some body of mass at the speed of light in a way that can be conceived of as waves, how else would they travel? Do people think they travel instantaneously through some interdimensional effect? Or is Furry's position simply that we haven't experimentally proven the existence of gravity waves, therefore the people who assume they exist are wrong?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't really understand gravity waves, but if the effects of gravity don't emanate from some body of mass at the speed of light in a way that can be conceived of as waves, how else would they travel? Do people think they travel instantaneously through some interdimensional effect? Or is Furry's position simply that we haven't experimentally proven the existence of gravity waves, therefore the people who assume they exist are wrong?
They're ripples in space time caused by space curving around mass, believed to propagate as waves I'm assuming similar to how water ripples away from a stone tossed into it.

I don't know that they have to travel at the speed of light, necessarily, tbh.

The issue is that, at the speed of light or not, the waves are so slight that it is very difficult, it not impossible, to detect them directly.

Szlia

You don't need to have a better model to point at the flaws of a model.

Anyway... I was reading about the tools they use to try and detect gravity waves: basically they split a laser in two, have each half go and bounce on a mirror with paths that are orthogonal and of the same length, join the two half and then check if the laser is still in synch. If it is not: gravity wave! Well... that's if the experiment took place in a fictional space, because in a lab on planet earth, the detection is massively polluted by seismic activity, so I am not too sure how they do to find the signal in the noise (one of the things they do now is comparing data from multiple experiments that run at the same time around the globe).

From a layman perspective, the other question that sprung to my mind is that: if it's a wave in the space-time continuum, maybe the distance is affected, but also the speed at which time elapses, keeping the laser synchronized even if both half did not travel the same distance?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think that's sorta why they're having trouble detecting them on Earth, the best places to be testing for it is near stars and black holes and large planets and shit.

Which is honestly kinda tough to do.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Meanwhile Tuco and I, and Ambiturner, and Troll, and Lendarios have been having a really decent discussion on this subject for several days, but here comes Draegan, a person literally no one truly gives a fuck about, to throw his weight around.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yes, they would be instantaneous which goes against all observable data we have. He has no alternative theories other than everything we know about physics is wrong and he's right. Them not existing would also invalidate General Relativity which has passed every test that's been thrown at it for the last 100 years. They've been experimentally proven to a very high degree of certainly, just have not been directly observed due to their very nature.

The irony is he doesn't believe QE for the exact opposite reason. Direct observable data that appears to show something happening FTL. His reasoning was a cop out "Freedom-of-choice" loophole, meaning we don't actually have free will and everything we do is predetermined. It's one of those pointless philosophical ideas stoners come up with and think they're deep thinkers

khalid

Unelected Mod
Hodj truly makes it unreadable unless you scroll past him fast enough. Luckily no one gives a fuck about him enough to respond to him more than once.
How can you jump into this thread and attack Hodj, while Furry has sidetracked pretty much any talk of QM everytime it is brought up? Come on bro.