Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

WHITE PENIS_sl

shitlord
well, if I had a science experiment and had to choose between Bill Nye and Sarah Palin I know who I'd pick...

(Sarah Palin and hope she blows her fucking face off)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
lol you probably label everyone that invents things for NASA and participates in scientific research as a "Scientist"
The minimum qualification for the name of "scientist" would be a non-honorary PhD in a science-based discipline.

Which, yea, Bill Nye doesn't have. He's a science speaker, not a scientist. Doesn't stop him from being more knowledgeable than Sarah, since they both hold Bachelor's, but her is in journalism (no science allowed) while his is engineering (ignore science at your peril).

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The minimum qualification for the name of "scientist" would be a non-honorary PhD in a science-based discipline.

Which, yea, Bill Nye doesn't have. He's a science speaker, not a scientist. Doesn't stop him from being more knowledgeable than Sarah, since they both hold Bachelor's, but her is in journalism (no science allowed) while his is engineering (ignore science at your peril).
Where's that definition from, out of interest?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Where's that definition from, out of interest?
At Inserm (the french NIH), you cannot qualify as a scientific researcher unless you hold a PhD or equivalent. If you don't, you get shuffled onto the "technician and engineer" designation (even if you sometimes do the same kind of work and publish more papers).

Main difference: career evaluation on scientists is done by peer review of work. Career evaluation of technical and engineer researchers is by your boss.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

False.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
At Inserm (the french NIH), you cannot qualify as a scientific researcher unless you hold a PhD or equivalent. If you don't, you get shuffled onto the "technician and engineer" designation (even if you sometimes do the same kind of work and publish more papers).

Main difference: career evaluation on scientists is done by peer review of work. Career evaluation of technical and engineer researchers is by your boss.
Didn't know that Bill Nye was French.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That definition makes some sense. Another definition could be someone that has a peer-reviewed paper in a legitimate scientific publication. A PhD isn't necessarily needed.

Really, it is a fairly loose definition and nothing rides on Bill Nye being a scientist or not. I would call him a science educator, which puts him way more qualified to talk about science than Sarah Palin. I don't find him arrogant at all, other than when dealing with tards.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say you need a Ph.D to be called a scientist, but nearly all scientists do. The path of formal education is climbing up to the shoulders of giants. The dissertation is merely the act of finally peeking your head over their shoulder.

What a lot of people not in the field don't know is that most dissertations are shit. Passing your defense is like dinging to the max level in an MMO, that's where the real game begins. You've still got to get geared (pursue your research interest) and maybe if you work hard enough you can find a guild that will give you a shot at raiding (funding source). You're a scientist already, but until you start getting server firsts and playing a large role in the raid (first name on highly cited papers) you're just a nobody and not really legitimate.

I would say that you need a "peer-reviewed paper in a legitimate scientific publication". It'd be very easy to find scientists who didn't have a high level of formal education (Darwin, Ben Franklin).

But that doesn't mean that everyone with a legit paper is a scientist. I meet that qualification and perform research but I'm definitely an engineer, not a scientist.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Maybe I am weird but I consider engineers scientist, they build/construct/design things scientist imagine and in doing so have to have a vast scientific knowledge in order to do so.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
A scientist is anyone who uses the scientific method as a fundamental tool in their profession.

Northerner

N00b
I think expecting a PhD to be a 'scientist' is a little silly but then again, while my bachelor's is a BSci, I wouldn't say that I'm a scientist. I'm sure as fuck more of one than Palin though.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If only PhD holders are considered scientist and only credence is given to their work and publications, then all the scientific disciplines wouldn't be where they are today.

Why the fuck is this part of the discussion? What inbred cuck with a BA in women's Studies even suggested such a thing?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If only PhD holders are considered scientist and only credence is given to their work and publications, then all the scientific disciplines wouldn't be where they are today.

Why the fuck is this part of the discussion? What inbred cuck with a BA in women's Studies even suggested such a thing?
Sarah Palin brought it up and some people have decided to die on that hill with her. The same people that don't believe people with PhDs because they are apparently raking in billions of dollars on carbon credits or something instead of the people that have our best interest in heart, the oil companies.

Also how the fuck can you hate a guy who teaches science to kids in an entertaining manner and did THIS!
eeKdtig.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Maybe I am weird but I consider engineers scientist, they build/construct/design things scientist imagine and in doing so have to have a vast scientific knowledge in order to do so.
Calling an engineer a scientist would tick off a lot of them, but they're kind of wierd that way.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think I posted about it but last year when he gave a lecture / presentation here he just went on and on about how we should tax the meat industry and how everyone should stop eating meat, he wanted to paint the roads white to reflect sunlight to fix some environmental problem, and wanted to build batteries the size of shopping malls just so we could power all of our electric vehicles. Was really disappointing, came out with a much lower opinion of him.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I understand the similarities, but the differences manifest themselves in very important, domain specific ways.

When engineers are required to tread into the grounds of the theoretical, many have difficulty properly evaluating ideas. They're used to building and improving systems based on well understood principles. It doesn't make them less intelligent or capable, it's just a very different set of skills.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A scientist is anyone who uses the scientific method as a fundamental tool in their profession.
The problem I have with this is how broad it is.

850px-The_Scientific_Method_as_an_Ongoing_Process.svg.png

Me using this method to figure out the probabilistic impact of gear bonuses on Accuracy in Black Desert Online doesn't make me a scientist. Me trying to figure out why my internet is cutting out by swapping out every piece of hardware I can doesn't mean I'm making science.