Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wonder if the divers that spotted these things used liquid oxygen packs to dive this deep.
Mandatory
rrr_img_133139.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I saw something in Bioanth news about that, but I've been sick all night and half this morning, so I haven't had time to read it.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I remember reading that article last summer, hoping that maybe some action would be taken. Still seems like the pacific NW is proper fucked when that baby blows it's load.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
It is a bizarre and interesting geologic/human question. Events like Yellowstone going ham have clearly happened in the past and they must happen again, its just the way of time and science and the Earth. When Yellowstone blows to hell what will happen is remarkably weird to even consider. If it happened tomorrow, how many would it kill and would it be the end of the USA's Empire? Do you think Yellowstone blowing up in the modern middle east would be covered as an act of god or Science? I think I just made up an amazing action/disaster movie. Terrorists building a Nuclear bomb under Yellowstone Park. The probability of any one human life being alive during this event is minuscule in the context of geologic time. It will be crazy to be alive in North America when this eruption eventually occurs. Rare in the human experience will be to interpret the event not as an act of god but of raw analytic science.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It may be like a boil.

Lance it with a bit of planned and controlled force in order to head off the negative symptoms caused by its otherwise sudden bursting.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean.. isn't Yellowstone erupting like, hundreds if not thousands of years away? What we probably won't be able to do now have a better chance at being possible in the near future, let alone 100 years+ from now. The only information I can see about it potentially being "soon" are retarded conspiracy sources. Everything else is like "Yeah lots of other shit to worry about than Yellowstone going boom."

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Is lancing a volcano possible?
I want to say this is theoretically plausible, though I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but I imagine the size of the hole one would need to puncture would be difficult for us to accomplish with current technology. If the hole is too small, the lava will probably cool and harden and reseal the hole before enough pressure is released.

There's also the question of what to do once the lava is spewing up from the hole you just drilled. Imagine those old oil drilling scenes in movies, where the oil comes spurting up and pouring over everyone around the drill hole. Now imagine that oil is molten hot lava!

But yeah, if Yellowstone does start going full tilt on us, I sure hope someone is willing to at least propose this as a possible solution. It would make for hilarious headlines: Humanity Saved By Lancing Volcano Like Giant Boil!

I mean.. isn't Yellowstone erupting like, hundreds if not thousands of years away? What we probably won't be able to do now have a better chance at being possible in the near future, let alone 100 years+ from now. The only information I can see about it potentially being "soon" are retarded conspiracy sources. Everything else is like "Yeah lots of other shit to worry about than Yellowstone going boom."
There's like an average rate of explosion for stuff like this. Pretty sure Yellowstone is close to, if not past, the average already.

That doesn't mean a lot as the average is just that, an average, and some eruptions can occur years ahead of or after the average eruption time, but it is enough to warrant concern.

Same shit with that fault line in the article I posted up above. Its average eruption time is like 240 years, but we're like 350 years past its last eruption time. That should be pretty concerning.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I want to say this is theoretically plausible, though I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but I imagine the size of the hole one would need to puncture would be difficult for us to accomplish with current technology. If the hole is too small, the lava will probably cool and harden and reseal the hole before enough pressure is released.

There's also the question of what to do once the lava is spewing up from the hole you just drilled. Imagine those old oil drilling scenes in movies, where the oil comes spurting up and pouring over everyone around the drill hole. Now imagine that oil is molten hot lava!

But yeah, if Yellowstone does start going full tilt on us, I sure hope someone is willing to at least propose this as a possible solution. It would make for hilarious headlines: Humanity Saved By Lancing Volcano Like Giant Boil!
I would just expect that we would build some kind of super heated tunnel to pipe the lava somewhere. It's fascinating to me that we haven't been able to penetrate the earth's crust to any meaningful degree. I'd love to hear what a geologist engineer (or whatever) has to say about the viability of lancing an earth boil. It seems like any cost incurred would be less than the cost if the thing blew and took out half the country.

Could we pipe the lava all the way to the Mexican border and build a solid volcanic wall with it?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

There's like an average rate of explosion for stuff like this. Pretty sure Yellowstone is close to, if not past, the average already.

That doesn't mean a lot as the average is just that, an average, and some eruptions can occur years ahead of or after the average eruption time, but it is enough to warrant concern.

Same shit with that fault line in the article I posted up above. Its average eruption time is like 240 years, but we're like 350 years past its last eruption time. That should be pretty concerning.
That's why you dig a huge trench that funnels all the lava down a path to the Mexico border filling molds to build the wall. MAGMA!

Fucking really? It's 5:19 and I'm still late to the joke. I quit.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I would just expect that we would build some kind of super heated tunnel to pipe the lava somewhere. It's fascinating to me that we haven't been able to penetrate the earth's crust to any meaningful degree. I'd love to hear what a geologist engineer (or whatever) has to say about the viability of lancing an earth boil. It seems like any cost incurred would be less than the cost if the thing blew and took out half the country.

Could we pipe the lava all the way to the Mexican border and build a solid volcanic wall with it?
Can we pipe lava at all is a question I don't have an answer to. I want to say that's highly unlikely, but I could be wrong.

But yeah, the costs would certainly be less than having 2/3rds of the US annihilated in a few hours, obviously.

I'd like to see what someone with a strong background in geology thinks of this as well, tbh.

The fact that both of you came up with the idea of using the lava to build the Great Wall of Trump simultaneously made me lol.