Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You forget (if it's Wakefield you're talking about) the bit about being the patent owner for a different vaccine substrate which, I presume, would have been "perfectly safe to use", and was seeking funds to create a company to exploit said substrate at the time of the Lancet study.
Shit I didn't even know that.

That's even more fucked up.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Heh, there's more to it than that even. He was getting money from lawyers who were planning on launching a class action suit against vaccine manufacturers, as well:Vaccine study's author held related patent, medical journal reports - CNN.com

According to BMJ, Wakefield received more than 435,000 pounds (about $674,000) from lawyers trying to build a case against vaccine manufacturers -- a serious conflict of interest he failed to disclose. Most of his co-authors abandoned the study in 2004, when those payments were revealed.
The now-discredited paper panicked many parents and led to a sharp drop in the number of children getting the vaccine that prevents measles, mumps and rubella. Vaccination rates dropped sharply in Britain after its publication, falling as low as 80% by 2004. Measles cases have gone up sharply in the ensuing years.
In the United States, more cases of measles were reported in 2008 than in any other year since 1997, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 90% of those infected had not been vaccinated or their vaccination status was unknown, the CDC reported.
Even worse, that money came from the UK Legal Aid fund, which is supposed to help poor people with legal costs. It goes on and on with Wakefield.

I would give no fucks if someone put a bullet in him. He's responsible for who knows how many illnesses, deaths, and increased medical costs.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I live in a farming community so I know a bit about GMOs as everyone around here uses roundup ready cotton. Roundup is cheap, and there are even cheaper generic alternatives. They come in distinct white plastic containers with metal grid reinforcement around them and you see them all over town. (they used some in 'the expanse' as flotsam around the ceres docks).

There are pros and cons. Pros are more profit, No need to hire people to go and chop weeds out of your fields when you can just dump a bunch of chemicals on it.

Cons? Well I have no idea if it is truly related but the cancer rate in this town is insane. The town is almost too small to be a real statistical sample size but there is a LOT of cancer, especially in the workers / farmers that spray alot.

The scarier thing is coming soon to a farming community near you: 24d ready crops. Roundup is pretty weak stuff but 24d kills EVERYTHING. Crops, weeds, trees, people's flowers in their yard/garden etc. And it can drift for miles. Mordor here we come.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Round up will kill anything that is green. Its not weak at all. I used it here at home in the past year to create sterile soil along the fence lines where a lot of crap was growing in, so I could clear it out this year and resow grass seed.

High cancer rates in rural communities are tied to lots of things. There is some debate whether round up causes dna damage in humans that can lead to cancer. For the record, the EU Food Safety Authority, people who have regulated GMOs and the like for public health, have said that it is not likely that Round Up causes cancer in humans.

Roundup Probably Doesnt Cause Cancer, European Agency Says - NBC News

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i live in a farming community too... the argument i've heard here is that the deer around here mainly live on the GMO corn and other crops that are so plentiful around here, and we never see deer with health problems (whole lot of hunting around here too). but the thing is, most deer only live to be like 4 or 5 at most before they're killed, so who knows if they'd have tumors once they got older... and there are types of cancer that a hunter would not notice when butchering their kills...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Lotta fertilizers are connected with cancer in rural populations.

Plus the environmental standards tend to be much less well enforced in rural regions because they're poorer and less populated in general.

Its dumb, for sure.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well roundup has to be sprayed on the actual plant and absorbed, as opposed to other/older methods that stayed in the soil. No clue on what they spray cotton with at the end of the year to defoliate it either so they can harvest it.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Yea no danger from roundup on cotton. I think it is mainly direct contact or runoff into groundwater. All water in this region comes from wells.

Our town is surrounded by cotton fields, so if there's a bit of wind, some of it is going to drift into the town.

As far as food contamination, I've heard that some farmers roundup wheat right before harvest to dry it out and make it easier to harvest, but I'm not sure if anyone around here does.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I live in a farming community so I know a bit
Based on your post it's a small bit.

The scarier thing is coming soon to a farming community near you: 24d ready crops. Roundup is pretty weak stuff but 24d kills EVERYTHING. Crops, weeds, trees, people's flowers in their yard/garden etc. And it can drift for miles. Mordor here we come.
Uh, I don't know who told you this but it's not just wrong it's complete nonsense. 2,4-D is older than roundup, and unlike roundup that kills anything it is sprayed on, 2,4-D is a broadleaf herbicide that doesn't effect grass or grains. Since it came out it's been sprayed on wheat/barley/etc to kill broad leaf weeds so "2,4-D ready crops" have been in existence since it was invented in 1945 (roundup didn't come along until the 70's). "Can drift for miles"? WTF are you talking about? As someone who has sprayed plenty of fields with both Roundup and 2,4-D I can tell you that if I make a little wiggle with my sprayer and miss a 6" wide swathe for a few feet, when I come back after the weeds have died, there will be a little green strip of live weeds in the middle of the field. Now I'm no expert, but if there isn't enough over spray to kill weeds a couple inches away from the end of the boom, how much of that shit do you think is landing "miles away"? With regard to toxicity to humans, 2,4-D might be slightly more toxic than roundup, but it's still very low toxicity as far as pesticides go and while it's true that both roundup and 2,4-D are listed as "possible carcinogen", a shitload of other stuff is too because it's hard to prove a negative but there's no particular reason to think that either of them are causing the alleged cancer epidemic in your town.

Since Roundup actually kills everything you spray it on, and 2,4-D does not, I don't really see any benefit to 2,4-D resistant crops over roundup resistant except for in the case that roundup resistant weeds become prevalent enough that roundup is no longer an effective herbicide.

In summation, you should definitely stop posting like you know anything about this topic because you clearly don't.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Brutal has always been good people as far I can remember.

God botherer or no god botherer.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
True.

I think he even said he's 'only' deist. I'm just ribbing him more than anything.

Which reminds me to ask, Brutul are you an agriculturalist by way of family or school?

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I only know what I see in our actual fields. I don't read up on this stuff on the internet.

Since I've been back in the area we've had 2 incidents of 24d drift onto our fields. One got a slight burn and was no big deal, the other wiped it out. The drift is one of those "it is known" things among the farmers. The makers of the stuff swear it won't drift, but just about every farmer you talk to has seen it happen first hand. It needs a hot day to happen but there's no shortage of those.

As for roundup, there are lots of stuff it won't kill unless you spray it really early, and resistance is another problem that is growing every year. We had one field last year covered in resistant weeds. Roundup won't kill trees either, at least none that I know of.

I'm just glad my dad finally retired. Or at least semi-retired.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Round up will kill anything green.

It is most effective when you use it on plants earlier in the year, when they are growing new foliage, because they uptake the chemicals more readily, but Round Up will kill anything. It will kill trees, but if they are large and their roots are deep, you cannot just spray it on the tree and have it work. It must be sprayed on the foliage so that the pores of the leaves uptake the chemical, where it then travels to the roots and kills them.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I only know what I see in our actual fields. I don't read up on this stuff on the internet.

Since I've been back in the area we've had 2 incidents of 24d drift onto our fields. One got a slight burn and was no big deal, the other wiped it out. The drift is one of those "it is known" things among the farmers. The makers of the stuff swear it won't drift, but just about every farmer you talk to has seen it happen first hand. It needs a hot day to happen but there's no shortage of those.

As for roundup, there are lots of stuff it won't kill unless you spray it really early, and resistance is another problem that is growing every year. We had one field last year covered in resistant weeds. Roundup won't kill trees either, at least none that I know of.

I'm just glad my dad finally retired. Or at least semi-retired.
I read this as "I am glad my Dad is finally retarded".

I think that makes me actually retarded.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well except stuff that is genetically modified to be roundup ready meaning you can spray over it and not kill it but everything else. That's the point of using roundup on crops for the most part now.

Selectrive herbicides are a huge deal now. They use oust in forestry operations on new planted pine seedlings and get rid of everything else for competition during the first growing stages and not the pine seedlings. Works fantastic. It's short term and by the time the trees are tall enough to not have to compete with the other stuff the growth below it grows back. It can cut 2 years or so off the rotation of a pine stand, which is almost 20% of the growth time of a stand now depending on the conditions and the end prodcut.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
True.

I think he even said he's 'only' deist. I'm just ribbing him more than anything.

Which reminds me to ask, Brutul are you an agriculturalist by way of family or school?
My relationship with religion is a bit complicated, but i think it would be most accurate to call me an agnostic. I don't personally waste much of god's time. I tend to defend Christians in this thread because it gets to be a bit of an atheist echo chamber and I don't think they deserve as much shit as they get sometimes.

With regard to agriculture, I grew up on a farm/ranch but then went to school for electrical engineering and had a 10 year career in that field before moving back to the ranch in 2009.

Herbicide drift can happen, but it basically means that your neighbor is an idiot and spraying when there is way too much wind. Not only is he damaging your crops, he's wasting money and doing a shit job on his own crop at the same time. I feel very confident that the stuff that damaged the field didn't come from miles away though.