Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Numbers_sl

shitlord
The gas they brought to negative temperatures is made up of potassium atoms.http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-g...e-zero-1.12146

Another peculiarity of the sub-absolute-zero gas is that it mimics 'dark energy', the mysterious force that pushes the Universe to expand at an ever-faster rate against the inward pull of gravity. Schneider notes that the attractive atoms in the gas produced by the team also want to collapse inwards, but do not because the negative absolute temperature stabilises them. "It's interesting that this weird feature pops up in the Universe and also in the lab," he says. "This may be something that cosmologists should look at more closely."

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The gas they brought to negative temperatures is made up of potassium atoms.http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-g...e-zero-1.12146
Read the scientific articles. This article is terrible science and should go away. What they did is create a situation that would only mathematically make sense to work if there were negative temperatures involved. Instead of going "Hey, our equation is probably wrong, this is something important to look into because it doesn't make much sense as is.", because one thing science has taught us an innumerable amount of times is that your equations are probably fucking wrong, they go walla we make discovery and push it out. Assuming that your equations and methods are entirely correct is one of the worst and most cardinal of sins in science. I'd say its being portrayed incorrectly in the media, because typically it is, but the author(s) of the original article seems to wholly embrace the idea of it must be negatives himself.

I wasn't sure where to put this article about the Fukushima clean-up, but since it talks about the development of new technologies to remove cesium from the environment I think this is appropriate even though there is a sad element of politics and nepotism. The well connected construction company's workers have left hundreds of garbage bags full of soil and other contaminated items all over the place.https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/b...denounced.html
99.9999% of all Japanese Construction outfits are Yakuza owned, the level of graft is impressive. Not to say they don't do actual work, but they get permits and processes expedited through back channels. They also comply with regulations long enough to meet scheduled inspections before reverting to doing things how every they fucking want. That said they were really fun to work for an always payed.

nu_11

The Worst Scientific Mistakes, Missteps and Misdeeds of 2012
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...2&viewall=true

snippet:
Among other comments, Baumgartner suggested to The Daily Telegraph that NASA?s exploration of Mars is a waste of money. ?That little knowledge we get from Mars I don't think it does make sense,? Baumgartner said to the Telegraph.

Twitter parody account @SarcasticRover had a few bits to offer in response, including ?I hope #Felix remembers to thank NASA for practically EVERY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT that helped make him the man he is today.?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Figured this doesn't really need it's own thread in the book house, but anyone have any suggestions on books about Physics? Looking for something which deals in the subject in an entertaining manner while still being accessible someone who dropped high school science at the first opportunity, kinda like Dawkin's books did for me with biology.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Figured this doesn't really need it's own thread in the book house, but anyone have any suggestions on books about Physics? Looking for something which deals in the subject in an entertaining manner while still being accessible someone who dropped high school science at the first opportunity, kinda like Dawkin's books did for me with biology.
What do you mean when you say physics? Theoretical stuff like relativity, quantum mechanics and string/brane theory? Or practical stuff like statics/dynamics?

If the first, then you might want to try one of Brian Greene's books like The Elegant Universe or The Fabric of the Cosmos. The Elegant Universe was made in to a pretty good documentary as well.

I look forward to someone getting their jimmies rustled by the mere mention of string theory.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone followhttp://www.planetaryresources.com/or asteroid mining in general? Throwing up an asteroid analysis satellite into space and finding an asteroid made out of pure platinum or uranium or loose women with big tits seems too good to be true.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Let me know when they start hiring space marines to protect the asteroids from other companies.
According to the laws from what I have heard about private property in space does not exist however speculation is that capitalistic laws would more than likely be enforced. You probably knew that but just throwing it out there since I doubt everyone knows that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like space laws will become more defined as necessary. If the US govt ropes a baseball field sized chunk of Iridium into low Earth orbit and starts mining it, you can bet your ass there will be some serious legal battles that will change the dynamic of 'you can't own anything' if a bunch of Indians start stealing it.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I feel like space laws will become more defined as necessary. If the US govt ropes a baseball field sized chunk of Iridium into low Earth orbit and starts mining it, you can bet your ass there will be some serious legal battles that will change the dynamic of 'you can't own anything' if a bunch of Indians start stealing it.
Definitely, which is why they are speculating that once it is necessary to write these laws capitalistic laws will more than likely be used. The biggest fear I have with it is I hope they do it right when it comes to "who" can get a certain asteroid or whatever so you don't have two companies racing to get it first and it cause a fucking meteor to slam down in a heavy populated area because they cut fucking corners to get to it first. Though one would hope with the fucking asteroid belt out there that the pickings will be so great that wouldn't be a concern.

aarkh_sl

shitlord
I can very much recommend James Gleick's Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman. Since it's a biography, it's very readable and doesn't just deal with physics, but there's plenty of that in there as well, particularly quantum physics.

If you're interested in cosmology/astrophysics, I really liked Martin Rees' Just Six Numbers. The Whole Shebang by Timothy Ferris is also great for an overview of cosmology, though both are a bit old by now.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Some laws, I think, will be quite easy to extend towards space. Admiralty law and mining rights, particularly. And I doubt any country attempting to pull off such a feat would be incapabable of defending its interests.