Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
Koo. It was honestly a question. It's not like knowing things isbad.

Reality is so fucking weird that maybe element 205 flips the scoreboard when we manufacture it and it asks us, "Are you my mommy?"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Solar panels on roads is an old idea, the problem is that it doesn't make sense to spend the effort to protect expensive equipment for no real purpose. The hurdle to solar energy isn't that we don't have enough space, it's that it costs too much to manufacture and install.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
We don't have the storage capacity or the infrastructure to distribute it properly. Our government isn't going to do shit about it either.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Solar has its uses and applications, but its not powering civilizations. See the weather thread murry.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Pretty bold statement, I doubt the most accomplished particle physicists in the world could accurately predict how our civilization will be powered in 100 years, much less 200 or 500, but Big P is confident that it will never, ever be solar power. This despite the fact that about 90,000 terrawatts (10^12 watts) of solar energy are striking the earths surface at any given time. Tell us more Nostradamus.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cool thing about energy is there's no reason to only pursue one type. Solar energy makes a ton of sense in some areas, not so much in others. Personally with the amount of thorium in the world I think any kind of long term energy constraints are unlikely, so burn all the fossil fuel you want!

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Solar energy would have great uses in a decentralized system to help offset peak usage numbers while we fuck around creating a better energy storage solution.
The above mentioned solar panels could make sense for parking lots in malls and other non high traffic areas. I just dont see them being resilient enough for highway use just yet.
The lighting and deicing features do sound great on paper.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Pretty bold statement, I doubt the most accomplished particle physicists in the world could accurately predict how our civilization will be powered in 100 years, much less 200 or 500, but Big P is confident that it will never, ever be solar power. This despite the fact that about 90,000 terrawatts (10^12 watts) of solar energy are striking the earths surface at any given time. Tell us more Nostradamus.
Google "base load" and come back to us, D?dalus.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Missing a few steps before University PR dept but still pretty funny.
10275369_829839967037016_1653548389979060473_o.jpg

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
2 things:
collide two photons = create matter.
Has A Decades-Old Light-To-Matter Theory Finally Been Proven? - Science News - redOrbit

And more of a health thing, this seems pretty huge and blew me away:
Possible cure for cancer: The measles? - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather
The measles essentially hone in on cancerous tumors and make them explode. The concept has proven successful in mice, but Stacey became the first person to receive a massive dose - enough to vaccinate ten million people.
"Which was alarming, and I was happy to hear that after the fact," Erholtz admits.