Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You've been a lot more vocal about believing QE is BS, but don't pretend like your position on gravitational waves was neutral.
Read my posts. I said the experiment in this subject is sound, I also said it hadn't yet excluded the possibility of a result. My skepticism aside, the objective facts I provided were all true.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
rrr_img_126346.jpg

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
How can you read those quotes and not see the numerous examples of you being dead wrong?
Again, where was I wrong about the science? I'm sorry that you find it inconvenient that I am skeptical of theories that aren't observationally proven, but my skepticism was never linked to my utterly and completely accurate representation of the scientific facts surrounding this event. It is not my fault you found my presentation of them too problematic for your scientific worship sessions.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Again, where was I wrong about the science?
Probably the part where you retarded out by saying gravitational waves were close to being ruled out empirically, and then 5 months later, they were proven without question.

Troll_sl

shitlord
So, gravitons confirmed huh.

If energy is conserved wouldn't that mean that the universe is losing mass while it gains area? Entropic heat death, hell, eventually it'll just be nothing but individual gravitons spaced out too far to interact with each other.
No, gravitons not confirmed.

These aren't the same as EM waves. Those waves are a function of the location-probability of particles. This is rippling in the fabric of spacetime. It's closer to say "reality" is waving. There's no "stuff" causing the waving. This is more like the ripples on a pond. But instead of water, we have spacetime as the medium (though it's still different because there's not really a "substance" we can point to as the medium).

Edit: Though this isn't to say gravitonscan'texist. We still don't know what carries gravity, if anything at all. Or why it's so weak. Or the answers to any other number of questions. Gravity waves are so important because they're basically the last major, direct prediction of General Relativity that hadn't been accounted for.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Probably the part where you retarded out by saying gravitational waves were close to being ruled out empirically, and then 5 months later, they were proven without question.
God damn I hate being put in the position of defending Furry. But he manned up and admitted totally that his prediction was wrong.

Easy question, what if LIGO had detected nothing around the black hole event? Would you guys be in here admitting Furry was right? He's a little strong in his prediction advocacy but he came in here and went, yep thats totally proven now, no question, etc. Hard to criticize when the guy completely admits he was wrong.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Absolutely.

But the retarded thing with furry is he tries to put himself in a position of being "above" the scientific consensus. It's consesus for a reason. He makes these claims without providing the extraordinary proof it requires to overturn consensus.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
God damn I hate being put in the position of defending Furry. But he manned up and admitted totally that his prediction was wrong.

Easy question, what if LIGO had detected nothing around the black hole event? Would you guys be in here admitting Furry was right? He's a little strong in his prediction advocacy but he came in here and went, yep thats totally proven now, no question, etc. Hard to criticize when the guy completely admits he was wrong.
Except he totally did not man up or really admit he was wrong. He's saying his position the entire time was that he was neutral on their existence and just wanted the direct observation before he could be 100% certain. The entire time claiming to be so much smarter than everyone and what fools we were for believing something that was only 99.9999999% likely to be true.

Even now he's still saying how we're all so gullible for believing this theory that is pretty much required or physics as we know it completely breaks down. It's the science version "I'm sorry if you were offended"

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

Naw, he's equivocating like crazy.

Except he totally did not man up or really admit he was wrong. He's saying his position the entire time was that he was neutral on their existence and just wanted the direct observation before he could be 100% certain. The entire time claiming to be so much smarter than everyone and what fools we were for believing something that was only 99.9999999% likely to be true.

Even now he's still saying how we're all so gullible for believing this theory that is pretty much required or physics as we know it completely breaks down. It's the science version "I'm sorry if you were offended"
That and the fact that even after the LIGO press release he still professed gravity is instantaneous. Idiot.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That and the fact that even after the LIGO press release he still professed gravity is instantaneous. Idiot.
Not my fault you don't understand the math at all. There is no mechanism of delay in the fields themselves in the equations of relativity. The thing limited by the speed of light is the propagation of CHANGES to the field.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Well, thats fine, but I think we all kind of figured Einstein was right, so the victory laps shoving it in his face seem a little unnecessary. Especially considering how he capitulated afterwards. I dunno. I could be wrong. My .02.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Something is really fucked up when people are more excited to tell furry he is wrong then the actual fucking detection of gravity waves.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Cads growing up.

If LIGO had detected nothing, most would want more sensitive detectors or assume there was a flaw in the detection method. I'd think anyway. I doubt the entire theory would have lost favor.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If LIGO had detected nothing, most would want more sensitive detectors or assume there was a flaw in the detection method. I'd think anyway. I doubt the entire theory would have lost favor.
Not exactly, but LIGO was in a regime of sensitivity where something should be detected at some point. Detecting nothing would mean technical problems OR some subtleties in the theory that might open a new avenue of inquiry (i.e. some new flavor of quantum gravity). But alas, relativity still reigns supreme as The universal theory.

(not to be confused with The theory of everything)

Not my fault you don't understand the math at all. There is no mechanism of delay in the fields themselves in the equations of relativity. The thing limited by the speed of light is the propagation of CHANGES to the field.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity

General relativity predicts that gravitational radiation should exist and propagate as a wave at lightspeed: a slowly evolving and weak gravitational field will produce, according to general relativity, effects like those of Newtonian gravitation.
Keep on keepin' on dipshit.

Wanna illuminate us on the extent of your mathematical background, since you're so sure you understand it?

My education stopped at vector calculus and diff eq, but I'm sure you have a fundamental understanding of Einstein and stress energy tensors...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ur own post dumbass_sl said:
a slowly evolving and weak gravitational field will produce, according to general relativity, effects like those of Newtonian gravitation.
That's the field that acts instantly im talking about right there.
There is no mechanism of delay in the fields themselves in the equations of relativity.
See the field part, where I was talking about fields. See the field part of that wikipedia link. Why don't you read up on what fields are, and how they are represented mathematically in relativity. They act instantly, because you can't explain reality unless they do. That's the whole part about mimicking Newtonian physics, because in newtonian physics ALL gravitational interactions are of infinite speed, while in GR the PROPAGATION OF CHANGES (AKA gravitational radiation) is limited to light speed, but the FIELDS THEMSELVES interact at infinite speed.

I did some math with crayons when I was a kid in my basement, but this is a pretty simple concept. It's pretty plainly obvious in the tensor equations, and I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the subject. You're even fucking linking stuff that is saying my point.