Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That is awesome. Thanks.
A big point to make about the technology, is that LIGO has far greater potential if built in space. Most of the claims about the extreme things that it could do are many, many decades in the future, and probably will require multiple spread out space-built facilities to accomplish even then.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Way to miss the point. I've read this thread the entire time and instead of talking about the actual discovery, dipshits like you with zero fucking self control have nothing to add that might actually be interesting. Instead we get a bunch of furry bullshit. I was hoping that somehow people would be talking about what technologies this information might help produce, can it help discover planets by looking at gravity waves, or is it just pretty fucking cool to have a theory proven after around 100 years?

Too fucking much to ask.
The best analogy I've heard to sum it up is something to the effect "Everything we've learned about the universe is what we have seen with our eyes. Now we have ears and can listen"

It's pretty much a whole new avenue of perceiving the universe

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best analogy I've heard to sum it up is something to the effect "Everything we've learned about the universe is what we have seen with our eyes. Now we have ears and can listen"

It's pretty much a whole new avenue of perceiving the universe
It amazes me the new stuff we have found recently and our understanding of the universe. Imagine what we could accomplish if we actually gave these people proper funding.

Now the gravity waves they found were from two black holes combining, is it going to take events that big to detect the gravity waves or will they be able to find the same waves from stuff smaller like a sun?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It amazes me the new stuff we have found recently and our understanding of the universe. Imagine what we could accomplish if we actually gave these people proper funding.

Now the gravity waves they found were from two black holes combining, is it going to take events that big to detect the gravity waves or will they be able to find the same waves from stuff smaller like a sun?
Due to the sensitivity required for that, I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon. But yeah, it's technically possible

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
LIGO in LA is located in Livingston Parish, I guess they have another claim to fame now. Prior to this it was home of the genetically superior loblolly pine trees used in the entire southeast in nursery operations for timber production, and David Duke lol.

I see the signs from the road for it but never really knew what they hoped to accomplish. First news about it in a while.

iannis

Musty Nester
Negative is just a descriptor. A mental construct we enforce on reality.

Saying "there's no example of a negative number in nature" is mistaking the map for the terrain.
In this case, with quantum spins, all negative spin means is that it goes "left" instead of "right". It's describing a directionality.

That really is a mental construct. The really odd thing about quantum spins to me is that they come in easily divisible/multiplicable numbers and even more strange is that there apparently ARE only two basic "directionalities". I just mean that a niave view (mine) would expect something on the order of a fundamental particle to require description through primes. And bizzare primes at that. And I would expect that a functional descriptor of their spin state would take more than two terms. But people more insightful than me have managed to get it down to halves and +/-.

Of course, there would be a whole lot less reality if it was more difficult for quarks to combine.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The whole negatives don't exist in nature series of posts should be ban worthy.

genetically superior loblolly pine trees used in the entire southeast in nursery operations for timber production
Those things are abominations. The woods so soft it's isn't worth a fuck, and the trees burn the ground to the point you can't do anything with it. Except plant more of that trash. Worst fucking trees I have ever heard of. Trash. Total fucking trash.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The whole negatives don't exist in nature series of posts should be ban worthy.

Those things are abominations. The woods so soft it's isn't worth a fuck, and the trees burn the ground to the point you can't do anything with it. Except plant more of that trash. Worst fucking trees I have ever heard of. Trash. Total fucking trash.
It's been known as a genetically superiour pine tree resistant to fusiform rust since 1970. It's not genetically engineerred. What you are referring to is because we now rotate saw log pine on a 20 year basis. The faster it's grown the softer the wood, has nothing to do with selecting superiour seed trees that are resistant to disease.

Trying to keep up with demand. The southeast now outproduces the pacific northwest on lumber production for a variety of reasons.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Nah man, what I'm referring to is the lob lolly used for timber production.

I have fairly extensive first hand knowledge of what it does, as well as second hand knowledge that would rival anyone on the planet. That tree used for timber, is a fucking plague.

You call them superior due to disease resistance, and in that respect, I have no doubt. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with clear cutting stands every 20-30 years, or the pulp cut at 8-12 years, or the thinning s. It has to do with the extensive ecological damage the propagation of those trees has caused.

Speaking of demand, it has gone down for 10-15 years straight(until two or three years ago?)? The wood is shit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
1919528_10103599702659028_5631094723467380106_n.jpg

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Four neutron particles shouldn't exist, although "exist" in this case only stretches as far as 10 ^-21 seconds.
Given that neutron stars exist, and basically use immense gravitic fields to confine a bunch of neutrons together, I'm not too surprised that a tetraneutron is possible, if horribly unstable. So what is surprising is that "ordinary" reactions can form one...