Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

WHITE PENIS_sl

shitlord
Hodj is fighting the good fight. But at some point you have to realize you're being trolled.

For someone to say that having confidence in information that has been derived from hundreds of years of cumulative empirical study is the same as having faith in something with no basis in reality is just trolling.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I trust that whatever that says is coherent and true. I did not verify it, but it would be possible to do so.
You assume that it would be possible, because of your faith in science.

For the record, I'm not saying that faith in science is exactly the same as faith in god, my only contention was that both require faith. You can definitely list more rational reasons for having faith in science than you can faith in god or religion and I couldn't be less interested in the semantic argument that has taken up several pages here. What it comes down to in my mind is that both groups have chosen to believe what was told to them by a group of people whom they have chosen to trust. One group may have more concrete reasons for trusting their group than the other, but it's not because they have seen the evidence.

I promise this is my last post on the topic.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Or you could replace the word "faith" with the word "high". Being high on drugs is same as being high up in a tree.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't call it faith in science. More like "faith that things that appear true are true.". And that's less of faith and more of an assumption that 2+2=4 and the sky is bl.... some kind of fucked up grey, get it together Michigan.

I know you're not making an equivalence between religion and science by the usage of the word faith. I just think it's the wrong word to use. Any usage of it without a large bit of context would convey to rational people a meaning you didn't intend.

Now that we've reached a semantics debate I'm happy to agree to disagree. I still want to give Palum one last shot before banning Hodj, myself and everyone else in this thread.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its an axiomatic assumption, yes.

We call it a properly basic belief that the universe follows a set of rules, and that we can use observation and experimentation to test how the universe works in order to discern what those rules are.

This is why this debate really should be moved to the atheism vs theism thread, because it goes to the core of the debate between presuppositionalists and other apologeticists who argue that all reasoning is circular and that their reasoning is more valid because its circularity orbits around what they think God wants based on their reading of their holy texts, and the rationalists who state that we are forced to accept rational inquiry as the methodology of investigating the universe by pragmatic principles and that the results of that methodology verify its validity.

It isn't a science debate at that point, its a philosophy debate, and therefore is better suited to the atheism/theism thread.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
For the record, I'm not saying that faith in science is exactly the same as faith in god, my only contention was that both require faith.
I+just+want+to+rip+off+my+ears+and+gouge+_a2bd78caa10a99397b43b8282c0a59f0.gif

Jive Turkey

Karen
At least religiots recognize their beliefs are so dumb that they think dragging science down to their level is an insult

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Listen yew guise. I'm not saying that Zorastrianism is the same as Taoism, I'm just saying that they both require a belief in Quetzalcoatl.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not saying Star Wars and Star Trek are the same, I'm just saying that they both require the force.

And that's how you start a nerd war.