Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
We don't have to take him seriously, but the information shown appears to be correct.
All I see so far is if we manage to get a treadmill up to around half the speed of sound it'll probably tear the fucker apart before we even need to worry our pretty little heads about it taking off.

You see the Food, Inc. documentary? If not you should. It talks about how the US food industry has coalesced around 3 ingredients not found in any real abundance in nature: Salt, Fat, and Sugar. High blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. Discuss.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I've got a treadmill going 470MPH i'm just gonna flip that badboy over and ride it to wherever I need to go.

TPDDODD_sl

shitlord
Guys, guys, guys! I have a degree in aeronautical engineering, I can fix this!

Ok seriously, I do have that degree, but nothing can make people understand this problem until the part about the wheels not mattering finally clicks in their head. I've tried to explain this to several people over the years, so let me see if this will help at all.

Take a toy airplane with a propeller and an engine. Set it on a treadmill (engine off at first). Start that treadmill up, but hold the plane in position with your hand. No matter how fast you make that treadmill go, you can hold the plane in place without moving, right (assuming you don't rip off the wheels due to friction)? To the extent that you can probably even hold it there with a pinky finger, because all the wheels are doing is spinning in place, not exerting any real force except the negligible amount due to friction (the fact that you can offset it with one finger is showing you how negligible it is). Speed up or slow down the treadmill and it makes no difference, the wheels just spin and spin.

Ok, now pick that airplane up and hold it in your hand, and start the engine. What happens? The propeller starts to exert a force on your arm, wanting to pull the airplane forward through the air. Do the wheels do anything at all while you are holding it in your hand? No, they don't, they just sit there. That's because the engine is in no way connected to the wheels, just the propeller.

Now, put that airplane back down on the spinning treadmill, holding it in place again. The wheels start to spin again, but only because of the reason it spun in the first place when the engine was turned off. The engine on or off is doing nothing to the wheels, at all. However, that slight pull on your arm that you felt while holding it in the air is still there, because the propeller is trying to pull the airplane forward through the air. If you let go, the plane will start to slowly move forward on the treadmill because of that pull on the air. No matter how fast the treadmill is going, that propeller is pulling the plane through the AIR. Assuming you haven't hit the maximum structural velocity of the wheels, the speed you set the treadmill at doesn't matter. The wheels are just spinning, and they spin like they just don't care. The plane will slowly start to accelerate THROUGH THE AIR, until it reaches a speed at which the airfoil shape of the wing generates enough lift to start flying. Assuming they don't blow up, the wheels can be going 10 mph or 1000 mph when it finally takes off. All that matters is how fast the air goes over the wing.

Did that help at all?
Yes it helps. I have seen the light. I withdraw my previous comments and commentary.
I offer my apologies to Big Phoenix, Skanda, Mrbelding, Elurin, Tuco, his retinue, ObservantBastard, mythbusters, mythbusters producers, and any reader(s) whom I may have irritated because of the posted opinion or its effects on the thread. I accept responsibility for said thread effects.

I thank ObservantBastard for his efforts on my behalf(double sorry for putting you in that situation) , and I thank Vvoid for the explanation and the effort used in creating said explanation . I accept the four infraction points as due penance. I offer no excuse. I stand appropriately humbled by the whole experience.

My apologies also to the un-named scientists who I unfairly maligned.

Oldbased

> Than U
Not related to the current discus err whatever was going on, but somewhat science related.
I recently did a remodel at a 140 year old jewelry store, it involved demo on a area that had been there for over 90 years. They do a ton of custom work and the manager there said if you want to mess with it, I wouldn't throw away the stuff you shop vac'd up.
Fast forward a month, sure enough after finishing the job I am looking in the shopvac and see gold shavings/dust EVERYWHERE.
My issue is it is also mixed in with saw dust, plaster, drywall dust and paint flakes.
I know there is diamond chips, gold chips, silver and more but I am not having any luck seperating the gypsum from it, even with a propecting pan.

Anyone here in the business of sending things to refinerys or chemicals on how I can sort this at home?
Based on I have a 6 quart tub of this trash/gold and so forth and can take a pinch of it and see multiple flakes of gold I am thinking there may be 500-1500 worth in it, if I can seperate it and purify it.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
Fat is pretty abundant, isn't it? Nuts and animals.
Yes. Fat isn't bad for you per se. Trans-fats are basically abominations of nature and should be avoided. Most "natural" fats are required by the body, nutritious and satiating.

Probably one of the worst things to hit the American food industry is the wholesale reduction of fat ("fat free" products) and replacing it with carbs. Stick to natural plant fats (nuts, cold pressed olive oil, etc...) and, if possible, grass-fed/free range animal products and you can likely eat as much fat as you like (you will feel full after a certain amount anyway)

donut_sl

shitlord
Hay science, sup. quik question, why dont you figure out a way to take over the political thread? then we can use science to make politics and reality awesome for everyone, just say'n. religion did it, and they are a bunch of idiots.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That was my assumption too, but after OB demonstrated that the equilibrium would occur at around 470mph I'm not convinced that's true. 470mph is of course an incredible speed for a wheel to move at and I'm sure a real plan would just wobble/burn and crash but whatever.
Why are you neglecting the fact that a plane will take off well before it reaches 470mpg? It'll take off before it reaches 235 too, which is what the treadmill speed would be if you got the wheel speed up to 470 mph.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why are you neglecting the fact that a plane will take off well before it reaches 470mpg? It'll take off before it reaches 235 too, which is what the treadmill speed would be if you got the wheel speed up to 470 mph.
If the treadmill is moving the wheel with .01 rolling resistance backward at 470mph and the propeller is operating at full thrust the plane would be at equilibrium.
tpd_sl said:
Yes it helps. I have seen the light. I
Good man, your infractions have been expunged and you are free once more.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If the treadmill is moving the wheel with .01 rolling resistance backward at 470mph and the propeller is operating at full thrust the plane would be at equilibrium.
No, because that never happens. The wheels have to be traveling at 470mph for your sloppily computed "rolling resistance" to come into play. When does that happen?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bro I'm not sure what you're not understanding here.

while(ravvenhasfaketits)
{
_if(vehicleSpeedrelativeToGround > 0)
_{
__if(treadmillSpeed < 470)
___treadmillSpeed++;
_}
_else
_{
__treadmillSpeed--;
_}
}

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The plane takes off in your code. It has left the ground before the treadmill reaches 470, the point where according to your sloppily produced "rolling resistance" acceleration finally halts.