Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I haven't watched Lithose video yet but let me be very specific in what I mean. The equation you brought up describes the way in which gravity affects objects but it doesn't describe why.

I get why when I push a pencil it moves because at some level my hand's molecules are bumping into the pencil's molecules. I don't understand the physics that cause that pencil to be drawn to my hand without me touching it. It's as if there are nearly infinite strings factorially attached to every particle in the universe, pulling them to one another. But there are no strings. At least none that we know of. That shit blows my mind.
What's wrong with the whole "bending of spacetime" general relativity explanation? That's always worked well enough for me.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like this?

rrr_img_53625.jpg

fucker_sl

shitlord
I haven't watched Lithose video yet but let me be very specific in what I mean. The equation you brought up describes the way in which gravity affects objects but it doesn't describe why.

I get why when I push a pencil it moves because at some level my hand's molecules are bumping into the pencil's molecules. I don't understand the physics that cause that pencil to be drawn to my hand without me touching it. It's as if there are nearly infinite strings factorially attached to every particle in the universe, pulling them to one another. But there are no strings. At least none that we know of. That shit blows my mind.
ok...you need to check that video. because if you don't understand gravity how it is intended today, you won't be able to get the whole phenomenon

in few words....the idea you have of gravity is like Newton believed it worked....like there was an invisible elastic string that pulled objects torward each other. This concept of gravity however is wrong. We have gone beyond it and improved it

sure, Newton's equations are right, mathematically right. But it's how he pictured gravity that is wrong (not his fault, he was an absolute genius but simply science was not advanced enought)

fastwordard a couple centuries....new mathematical discoveries are made that helped Einstein create his Theory of General Relativity. In his theories, Einstein understood that gravity was not an "attraction effect" between 2 objects, but actually.....the Mass of an object bending Space-Time

that video explain it very well. The property of Mass, has an effect that distort and bend the space around it. This distortion created a "gravity well" that influence other objects around it

The exact why hasn't been figured out yet. I believe that's the last piece of the quantum puzzle and why the Higgs boson is so important. Confirmation of this boson will explain how gravitational force is transmitted.

<-----Not a physicist, I understand maybe 1% of this shit.
ok let's clear some doubt here. The Higgs boson is NOT responsable for gravity. This is a misinformation due to incompetend journalists and documentarist not doing their work

We don't actually know how and why the Mass of any object interact and bend space. We use the name Graviton to describe an hypotetical particle, but it's never been theorize and we have no frigging idea how and where search for it. It's just a placeholder idea

Now, what is the Higgs Field and the Higgs Boson? and what they do ?

They Higgs field was theorize 37 years ago by Peter Higgs. He, together with another scientist (who didnt won the nobel only because he is dead), theorized that the entire universe is permeated by a field

A particle (let's say n Electron) passing trough this field, interact with it. The Higgs boson is the particle that mediate this interaction between the field and the Electron. This interaction "gift" the Electron with mass

This is why the Higgs was so important. It was the explaination why particles....EVERTHING.....has the property of mass. The only exception to this is the Photon who doesn't interact with the field at all (infact Photons have no mass and are the only particle that can travel at the speed of light)

so, connecting this to what you know about gravity it means that:

no Higgs = no Mass
no Mass = no Gravity
no Gravity = no universe like we know today
no universe like we know today = we would fucking be here writing about the Higgs

EDIT - these 2 videos should help you

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I say photons have mass but its all converted to velocity and energy. All we need to do is slow down light and watch it gain mass. As a matter of fact(completely fabricated) black holes are super massive because they trapped photons and forced them to be stationary.
I have no proof of this but this theory has no fancy math and so its easier to get behind.
/disinformation

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I thought photons didn't have any "rest mass", that their mass is an expression of the force of an e/m wave hitting something.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is why the Higgs was so important. It was the explaination why particles....EVERTHING.....has the property of mass. The only exception to this is the Photon who doesn't interact with the field at all (infact Photons have no mass and are the only particle that can travel at the speed of light)

so, connecting this to what you know about gravity it means that:

no Higgs = no Mass
no Mass = no Gravity
no Gravity = no universe like we know today
no universe like we know today = we would fucking be here writing about the Higgs
i guess that part of your explanation is incorrect.
There are particles w/o mass like there are particles with or w/o spin half a spin etc.
And all of them interact with the formerly only theorised higgs field by the precursor of it, the higgs particle.
By proofing the existance of the particle they proofed the field.
I read about it as to imagine the universe like on bunch of skipping ropes, and the field lets it skipp. The property of all created particles (mass or not spin or not quantum conjectured or not etc.) would possibly determined by where the particle is created via a higgs particle state on this skipping rope and where that rope would skip atm (up, down, left, right et all).

Interestingly this all seems to comply with the super string theory where each particle is thought as also a string which would react to gravity by passing a "gravity enable" string, and therefor gains the ability to bend space time in our realm of existance.

fucker_sl

shitlord
the only particle without mass are the Photon and the Gluon (rispectively, the force carrier of Electromagnetic force and Strong Nuclear force)

every other particle has mass

EDIT - since you probably wont trust me

Massless particle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particle physics, a massless particle is a particle whose invariant mass is zero. Currently, the only known massless particles are gauge bosons: the photon (carrier of electromagnetism) and the gluon (carrier of the strong force).
EDIT 2 - FUCK YEAH. POST 666 !

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Because Albert said so, dick. Regardless, Tuco wasn't really asking the why, just the how. I think anyways.
How does mass bend spacetime?

I'm only being partly facetious. I know mass bends spacetime(general relativity) is our current answer to gravity. I think Tuco wanted an answer beyond that, which we don't have? Actually, I think general relativity and quantum mechanics are odds with each other specifically because of gravity.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
As i understand it, in layman terms:

When the universe exploded in the big bang, all particles moved at the speed of light (which means these particles were mass-less) and smashed into other particles moving at same speed. One of the results of the collisions were the higgs bosons. Now the near infinite collisions created near infinite amount of higgs bosons and these formed a higgs field that permeates all space. As all other particles moved through this field, they were slowed down and as per Einstein, particles must have mass if they are travelling slower than the speed of light. So the higgs field gave mass to the entire universe and mass causes gravity so technically the higgs field is responsible for gravity just not directly.

fucker_sl

shitlord

I'm only being partly facetious. I know mass bends spacetime(general relativity) is our current answer to gravity. I think Tuco wanted an answer beyond that, which we don't have? Actually, I think general relativity and quantum mechanics are odds with each other specifically because of gravity.
no we dont have it

we know it happends every day, we know its effects and can predict and calculate it, but we don't know the exact mechanism. It think it requires a whole lew layer of physic knowledge. We are not even close to theorize an answer, much less confirm it

the only one i know, as i said, is the graviton but it's just like Dark Energy and Dark Matter. We know it's there but we have no clue

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
take the formula for gravity created by Newton

p1612.gif

and do some test. You will see that no matter how far, gravity will always influence an object. It's a formula that can't reach "zero".

the Earth/moon system. The Solar system. Our own galaxy. The Virgo supercluster of galaxies we are part of.....it doesnt matter. Gravity is felt. Even at millions of light years away

Even you, in this very istant, are having effect on the Andromeda galaxy for example. However, you low mass and the huge distance makes this force impossibly small
Except we know this not to be true now.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

I dunno, it seemed from his initial post on the matter, he was more after a way to visualize or conceptualize how gravity works:

Tuco_sl said:
I've never seen any explanation of gravity that I can understand that describes how the moon is impacted by the earth (Or any planetary bodies that are hundreds of thousands of miles away)
He then followed up with this:

Tuco_sl said:
I don't understand the physics that cause that pencil to be drawn to my hand without me touching it. It's as if there are nearly infinite strings factorially attached to every particle in the universe, pulling them to one another. But there are no strings. At least none that we know of. That shit blows my mind.
I dunno, from my perspective, images of massive objects bending space time and other objects orbiting around their gravity well does a pretty snazzy job of visualizing how/why gravity attracts objects. Even for non-engineers like Tuco.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I often wander into the idea that mass IS space time, concentrated.

the bubble of ever expanding "space" that we live in isn't empty, even when it's devoid of mass it's full of virtual particles and energy coming into and out of existence, also there's hints that there's afundamental structureto "space" itself and it isn't empty.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Well, we were originally posting about "why", that's why I was talking about quantized space theory (And someone else was talking about string, I think). But Tuco then said he couldn't visualize how it happened, as Eomer said though, the "how" is easy. We have tons of tests that prove space time is a thing, and prove it bends and prove mass bends it.

Yeah, we don't know the "why"--but I don't think that's what he was asking. Anyway, that video, if you're looking to visualize how, is excellent. Why? Well, that's the big question.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I dunno, it seemed from his initial post on the matter, he was more after a way to visualize or conceptualize how gravity works:

He then followed up with this:

I dunno, from my perspective, images of massive objects bending space time and other objects orbiting around their gravity well does a pretty snazzy job of visualizing how/why gravity attracts objects. Even for non-engineers like Tuco.
Ok, my bad. I honestly thought it was a safe assumption that pretty much anyone here knew about mass bending spacetime. Even non-engineers like Tuco.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I often wander into the idea that mass IS space time, concentrated.

the bubble of ever expanding "space" that we live in isn't empty, even when it's devoid of mass it's full of virtual particles and energy coming into and out of existence, also there's hints that there's afundamental structureto "space" itself and it isn't empty.

I'm no physicist. But if you watch this video, that's their theory. That Space Time is actually not uniform, but a structure made up of little sub structures, much like how protons/neutrons/electrons make up atoms, which make molecules--these little three dimensional "pockets" that are a plank length long come together to form space time. The separations explain some anomalies in quantum mechanics, while also explaining why space time can be stretched and pulled to cause things like gravity and even black holes (The "vibration" of these pockets causes this, supposedly--which I think is kind of how string theory explains things, except they use strings).

Again, I'm just a layman, so this guy could be full of shit. But I like it because it seems so logical when referenced against how everything else in the universe is made up of separate parts. It also explains why when you get really small, things can shift into wave functions--because there are dimensions between these little quantum "plank" length spaces of reality. But structures which are too large to ever exist outside of more than one, can't undergo this disappearance, because the space between is never big enough for them to only occupy it.

Like I said though. I stopped at Calc 2, lol--so theoretical physics is only something I read if someone really smart writes it in idiot terms for me to consume, like Brian Green or Tyson. But I like the way this guy explains it.