Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Its like listening to lumie instead of reading his retardation. Ken ham is very much in the " if i can't see it happen in front of me it didn't happen" mentality

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Its like listening to lumie instead of reading his retardation. Ken ham is very much in the " if i can't see it happen in front of me it didn't happen" mentality
He also seems really keen on the idea of changing definitions to make sure he can pigeonhole everything into his arguments.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, he spent a lot of time on semantics and false credibility. Acting like these other creationist scientists supports his claim more.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
This guy also seems really big on the idea that the laws of nature have changed at some point

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As Dan Carlin always says, the definition of a fanatic is someone who can't change their mind and won't change the subject.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I went to that Creation Museum a few years back but viewed it more like going to the zoo or aquarium. Its neat to see once but I definitely got bored. Needed more Jurassic Park.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I strongly believe nuclear fusion will provide the next big step in human advancement (something like the industrial age) but I don't think we'll see a commercial fusion power plant in our lifetime.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Interesting article.

The thing I don't get about nuclear fusion being viable is that with a star the compression force is gravity which is 'free' energy for the star. Any kind of fusion reactor on earth will need to replace a star-sized amount of gravity with something else. In this case they're using lasers and the article seems to indicate that the energy used to power the lasers isn't included in the reaction input.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Was expecting kooky science article, like the old Italian guy that supposedly created cold fusion with platinum as a catalyst. Was pleasantly surprised otherwise.

So you use the lasers to start the ignition, and then the heat from the fusion supplies the chain reaction? How do you safely contain a reaction like that while still feeding in more hydrogen gas? Don't you need millions of degrees kelvin to bypass the coulomb barrier? Seems like any sort of "fuel injector" would be destroyed immediately.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone with a physics background explain why or if it is impossible for a reaction like this to chain uncontrollably and result in the implosion of the planet?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not a physics background(see mundane question above as proof) but my guess is that for a chain reaction to spread uncontrollably to that scale, basically everything in the air would have to be fusable. And my non-educated guess it that things like N2 and O2, even at the temperatures this would generate, don't fuse that well.

Fission reactors chain react out of control because fission can happen at much much lower temperatures and there are safety measures(control rods) put in place to inhibit and control the rate of reaction. Those controls malfunction, you get a meltdown. Here, I think loss of control would be its own safety measure because of how much heat is needed just to sustain the reaction.

But, if that were possible...god, think of the weaponry you could create from that.