Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

1096226.jpg

^ what Hollywood software says 800 terabytes of scientific blackhole data looks like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I'm skeptical. It won't affect my appreciation of the film one way or the other though.
This. I'd assume there's mountains of data we're unable to collect about black holes currently that would change the equations and look of the real thing. That said I'm just expecting the movie to provide a new vision of it and have it look amazing, which it already does.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. I mean they do get credit for at least trying to create a currently scientifically valid representation rather than just telling a graphic artist to make it look "cool as shit".

It neither attracts nor detracts imo. I'm just skeptical.

Specifically, and this is a question, I'm skeptical of why the accretion disk would be like that -exactly-. From what I understand accretion disks form out of accretion spheres rotating around a center, itself rotating, through conservation of momentum. So if the black hole changes that dynamic why is it only perpendicular to the axis of spin? That seems overly tidy and pat, doesn't it?

Sometimes the simple answer is the right answer. I'm just skeptical. It seems likely that's overly simplistic.

But -- honestly -- what the fuck do I know, really.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
My guess is that the appearance of the disk going up and down is actually a gravititational lensing effect. Where light from behind the black hole (the bright light from the disk) is warped around it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yea, im sure they don't actually look like that, but its as close as we can figure out and looks cool, so honestly it's pretty awesome in my book.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I thought "oh fuck yea a new space movie and they're trying to make it authentic" then read on to see it stars Matthew fucking Mcconohey

Like that last space movie about that girl from the bus breathing heavily and George fucking clooney managing to still be smug even when he's supposed to be dying

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I thought "oh fuck yea a new space movie and they're trying to make it authentic" then read on to see it stars Matthew fucking Mcconohey

Like that last space movie about that girl from the bus breathing heavily and George fucking clooney managing to still be smug even when he's supposed to be dying
giphy.gif

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Gravity was probably more realistic than 99% of all space movies, which is really a slam on space movies because a lot of things were wrong in Gravity. But a movie where they go "oh fuck I'm dead" at the first sign of trouble which is pretty much what would happen in real life, would suck.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Gravity was probably more realistic than 99% of all space movies, which is really a slam on space movies because a lot of things were wrong in Gravity. But a movie where they go "oh fuck I'm dead" at the first sign of trouble which is pretty much what would happen in real life, would suck.
Gravity got basically nothing right, unfortunately.

The only movie I am aware of that got everything correct to the limit of the science known at the time is Destination Moon, which had Heinlein as a technical adviser and the director listened to him.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Gravity got basically nothing right, unfortunately.

The only movie I am aware of that got everything correct to the limit of the science known at the time is Destination Moon, which had Heinlein as a technical adviser and the director listened to him.
Oh, I'm not arguing with you that it was accurate about much; but it did get some things right. It also got a lot of things wrong. But I would definitely file it under an attempt to be "pseudo-realistic" while smoothing over things they needed to for the story.

I echo a lot of what Phil said:

Bad Astronomy movie review: Gravity.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its hollywood, nothing ever comes close to being realistic.

Though I honestly think if Gravity did bad and was a complete flop every critic would be all over it saying out amazing it is.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who cares though? people look to Hollywood to give them fantasy to get lost in, not the brutal truth and boring reality.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

Stars aside, Kip Thorne is the real deal:Kip Thorne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If he thinks it's accurate, at least as far as our current understanding goes, then I don't think that anyone here has much business arguing otherwise. Looking at you Iannis.