Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Not sure why no one here gets it...this game has one purpose and it was designed, built and is being marketed to support that purpose. Xbox Game Pass subs.

Bullshit. If t hat was true it would have been game pass exclusive.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
How can you call this a PVE game? The rewards aren't worth anything ultimately, they're only a reason to move around the map. The only thing that "increases" is your Faction Ranks, and that only leads to more complex, longer missions with higher gold rewards to buy shit that is ultimately pointless. The risk is encountering real humans who will fuck you up at any turn. And if you're playing solo, that's an additional risk you take. The single person ship is faster, easier to adjust sails into the wind, and four times as maneuverable as the galleon. Playing solo is bullshit until you really know what you're doing (like if you have a bunch of chests, running your ship nearly aground right next to the turn in, because your ship is ultimately expendable). Hell, playing the 3-4 man game is painful unless everyone knows what they're doing. But it's not like it has some steep learning curve. If you're playing this game for PVE, you're doing it wrong.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How can you call this a PVE game? The rewards aren't worth anything ultimately, they're only a reason to move around the map. The only thing that "increases" is your Faction Ranks, and that only leads to more complex, longer missions with higher gold rewards to buy shit that is ultimately pointless. The risk is encountering real humans who will fuck you up at any turn. And if you're playing solo, that's an additional risk you take. The single person ship is faster, easier to adjust sails into the wind, and four times as maneuverable as the galleon. Playing solo is bullshit until you really know what you're doing (like if you have a bunch of chests, running your ship nearly aground right next to the turn in, because your ship is ultimately expendable). Hell, playing the 3-4 man game is painful unless everyone knows what they're doing. But it's not like it has some steep learning curve. If you're playing this game for PVE, you're doing it wrong.

If the rewards aren't worth anything why do I care if someone tries to, "fuck me up" and steal shit that doesn't matter and sink me? Other than the fun of doing that a few times.

I like your comparison here to GTA online. Which is a good one because GTA online gave new life via Twitch role play channels/etc/shenanigans to a game that was well worth the price for the campaign alone. This doesn't have that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Seems completely crazy to me that in a pirate game centered around plundering and finding loot, you can't actually open chests but instead exchange them for gold

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I just got this game and I never played alpha. So far I've turned in 3 or so of the Gold Hoarder chests after going on the Voyages and I've got zero gold or any other kind of rewards for them. I'm turning them in to the same guy I bought the voyage from.

Is this just bugged or am I doing something retarded?

• 1Worf

kemuel

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are quite a few bugs, that's just 1 of many. Typically, gold rewards and reputation will catch back up a few hours later.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my brother and I ran a few missions last night and got 0 rewards. You saw the + gold in the upper right, but the gold never increased from 0. We stopped after 3 missions. This game has the bones of an awesome game, but none of the "guts". I've been playing since alpha and not much seems to have been added, beyond a bit of polish.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Had a similar problem in the betas where the databases would get heavily out of sync, so your Faction Rep and Gold amounts wouldn't update until 30 minutes later. You'd think folks would have had database lag figured out by now....

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Game is just extremely shallow. You're playing for nothing but cosmetics and honestly it's really repetitious. It's fun to take some friends and experience the first few times but you really find yourself doing much of the same for what I think is little rewards. Don't get me wrong, it's a great start to a game but to me it feels more like when a game offers an alpha with a single game mode or map as a preview of a game.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Game needs political standings in order to feel as though you're truly a pirate.

Without that, all you are is some asshat taking shit.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Meh, we can debate semantics, or we can just agree that pirate has a special definition of a guy who wears a special hat, has no teeth, drinks plenty of alcohol, and usually has a parrot on his shoulder.

In order to "feel" like a pirate though, you need a governmental figure there to give you shit.

Xevy

Log Wizard
End of the night. My ship was sunk outside the skull event (we sunk theirs, too). My crew logged off. What did I do? I waited on the skull island, alone. Then when a single sloop came in, I swam out to it and boarded it while the Captain was diving for a ship wreck.

Then he became the ship wreck.

(Beginning is muted because of some song copyright issues or some shit)

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Game where players make the content has players complaining about no content

• 1Worf

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Game where players make the content has players complaining about no content

If this was an FPS that would be valid. What can players create with each other? There's no loot, nothing to trade.

This game needs to either go full on battle royale pure PVP, or add some RPG elements. Kill shit on islands, loot items, find a cursed ruby you can either sell or attach to a sword for +1 Skelly killing. Fucking something. Buy spices on one island, sell to another pirate heading to a far off island chain.

Sid Meier's Pirates! and Puzzle Pirates! are deeper pirate games than this by orders of magnitude.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I must have imagined the chest dropped from a few players we pvped last night.