Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I'd have zero problem if this was sold as a 20-30 game. I just hate AAA claims / prices with an indie 3 person studio type game, especially considering the size of the studio, their backing, and how long they've been hyping this game. Just crazy.
This is pretty much my one big complaint. At 60$ I am overpaying cause my friends want a game to hang out, laugh and shoot the shit in.

To all the people claiming this is No Man Sky, that there is tonnes of missing content and we are all getting defrauded, no. The developer did not claim there was anything more in it than there currently is. They didn't make false promises, and anyone that has been paying any attention to whats been said about the game knows this. Is it feature poor? Definitely. Is it worth the sticker price? Definitely not. Have they said they would like to add stuff in the future? Yes. But anyone who was expecting a deep progression game w/ RPG elements and shit has been lying to themselves. We've been saying it here for some time. This is a game that you fuck around with once or twice a week to laugh it up with friends. If thats not your thing, don't get it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
I saw the Kraken attack BurkeBlack on twitch today, they shot cannons at it for a while and it went away. Was pretty lame. I guess it can also grab your boat and make tons of holes, and I presume you can visit the Kraken home cave and attack it at some point too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
This game looks to me like it's too early access. When was this game announced? 2-3 years ago? I thought that they were at the current state of development back then.

Now? It's just meh.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
This game looks to me like it's too early access. When was this game announced? 2-3 years ago? I thought that they were at the current state of development back then.

Now? It's just meh.

That's what it seems. They showed a team digging up the singing chest at E3 2017, I'd be hard pressed to guess at what they've done for the year since then.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Gaming itself is in a very odd place right now. I don't think it's gonna be the end of gaming, but the end of AAA development for an extreme period of time, or at least game companies calling themselves AAA developers.

M$, EA.

All of it just leaves me want to take a shower. Of course, then again...

You have the people who started the shit show and the people who made it rain shit. So, I guess a shower would be in order. With bleach and lye. If those two chemicals don't react badly, I dunno, I'm not a chemist.

spronk

FPS noob
thats not really true, this is really a golden age of gaming. We have insanely great stuff from Nintendo - BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, a new smash game soon, Mario Rabbids, etc. Sony exclusives are CRAZY this year, in the next 90 days we will be playing God of War 4, Ni No Kuni 2, Detroit Become Human, and Yakuza 6 and probably Spider Man and Days Gone later this year. We got multiplats covered with Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus, and of course a new battlefront and call of duty. Thats all stuff we know before even E3, and that doesn't even cover the AA space which is now super healthy with indies and Japanese studios back in the game.

The only odd man out is Microsoft, they literally have fuck all except State of Decay 2 (no one cares) and Crackdown 3. Hopefully they can announce some shit at E3 but it's probably at least a year away from delivery.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The only odd man out is Microsoft, they literally have fuck all except State of Decay 2 (no one cares) and Crackdown 3. Hopefully they can announce some shit at E3 but it's probably at least a year away from delivery.

What? According to the MS E3 shows everything is "EXCLUSIVE!"

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'd much have a richer game experience and no PVP. Have PVP exclusive vendors and rewards like The Division or something for those who want that experience.

Twice last night our only encounter with others was a 4-player galleon trashing our 2-player sloop at the dock (both times we were already on shore with our final pieces of loot and were browsing vendors / taking a break) and then coming on shore to murder us. Was easier to just let them do it the second time so we could get back to what we were more interested doing - trying the missions and stuff. Other than that I briefly saw a couple ships in the distance - presumably fighting.

Pretty game, was fun navigating, but it felt like I should be getting XP for playing lookout and identifying islands, ships, debris in water, etc. just as my partner should have gotten xp for maximizing speed w/ the sails and whatnot.

The depth of all aspects of this game are comically shallow. Interested in the pivot / what they do next.

It's not nearly as sexy but Microsoft has the ecosystem, now they just need the games to make people care about that. Sea of Thieves is not one. But it's probably my gateway game to paying for Game Pass for the foreseeable future. I'm all in on no more software resets and all my purchases working on future consoles (and many on PC).

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
It might just be a test bed for M$ to see how much they can get away with for small content/large box price/cosmetic only MTX

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It really feels like a free to play game made to be played on every device (mobile, tablet, console, PC, etc) but restricted to Windows and Xbox and given a full price tag.

Friend just pointed out of the 8-9 things we turned in last night we didn't get any reputation. Anyone seen an issue like that? Only thing we have to show for our efforts is a few thousand gold and 1 commendation for making x gold from y faction.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Gaming itself is in a very odd place right now. I don't think it's gonna be the end of gaming, but the end of AAA development for an extreme period of time, or at least game companies calling themselves AAA developers.

M$, EA.

All of it just leaves me want to take a shower. Of course, then again...

You have the people who started the shit show and the people who made it rain shit. So, I guess a shower would be in order. With bleach and lye. If those two chemicals don't react badly, I dunno, I'm not a chemist.

The gaming industry is larger than the movie and tv industry combined. Granted almost half of that is mobile but still, gaming is in an awesome place. All people need to do is not let the hype suck them in and not pre order and they'll be fine.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Something I take dear to my heart outside of extreme circumstances.

Cxy7eHAXEAEoaX4.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd much have a richer game experience and no PVP. Have PVP exclusive vendors and rewards like The Division or something for those who want that experience.

I think everyone wants to do PVP games because your customers are also your content. Less effort on your end. I can't recall a decent PVE only MMO of any kind in the last few years.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think everyone wants to do PVP games because your customers are also your content. Less effort on your end. I can't recall a decent PVE only MMO of any kind in the last few years.

Because MMO PVP is trash.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob

i've heard good things about that game pantheon, has a famous development team behind it

it might even rock

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
lol, guy gets pissed for being griefed in a pirate pvp game...

It's bullshit. Navigating to and completing a quest is hard enough solo, good luck if you get in a ship battle. Then when you're back at shore you can only carry/turn in one chest at a time leaving your ship open to anyone to fuck with.

That's not PVP, it's game enabled griefing and it blows.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
lol, guy gets pissed for being griefed in a pirate pvp game...

This game is a barebones pve game that happens to allow pvp. Ironically, the pvp is the only fun thing with staying power in the game. The devs wanted it all, put in zero effort to get any of it, and are going to take it up the ass from all sides of the gaming spectrum.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Not sure why no one here gets it...this game has one purpose and it was designed, built and is being marketed to support that purpose. Xbox Game Pass subs.