Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

Xevy

Log Wizard
My crew got in about 90 minutes after midnight due to Greybeard. Did pretty good, think we sank 2.5 ships. I say 0.5 because we pursued a galleon we put at LEAST 9 cannonballs into and them fuckers lived. No idea how. They hit us with like 4 cannonballs and we were in full bucket-bitch mode. Could be that they're just smarter than us and were repairing before bucketing.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So it's looking like they may have gotten their performance increases by limiting the number of people on the server, essentially killing PVP and ruining one of the most entertaining parts of the game.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Most positive guy on twitch is having a hard time trying to be positive. A lot of "if they only did this" "maybe later if they add" and so on.

He speaks about the possibility of additions of RPG mechanics, class systems or just a general progression systems. However, it seems insane to me that these things aren't in the game already. At least in some form. However, you start with everything, then the base of the game is purely either find people to kill with a very basic combat system, or you try finding treasure to sell for purely cosmetic items. Upgrade factions to get more cosmetics. No ability or new item progression at all. Is this true?

For a full release 60 dollar game it seems very shallow. To me the current game sounds like a very solid base foundation to start a kickstarter on. They show that they have this built so far, but with X money raised the goals could be things like additional classes, epic quest lines for epic loot (new weapons, boat accessories or the likes), new ability trees, base building mechanics, and so on. It would be funded within hours. It looks absolutely amazing and a fantastic building block to build a game on. Current state though appears to be a pretty book cover with blank pages.

Question: Did you need to pay extra for early access with the pre order? I looked at the Microsoft store yesterday, and it was $10 more than it is today. Usually pre-orders have discounts, they're not more expensive.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Most positive guy on twitch is having a hard time trying to be positive. A lot of "if they only did this" "maybe later if they add" and so on.

He speaks about the possibility of additions of RPG mechanics, class systems or just a general progression systems. However, it seems insane to me that these things aren't in the game already. At least in some form. However, you start with everything, then the base of the game is purely either find people to kill with a very basic combat system, or you try finding treasure to sell for purely cosmetic items. Upgrade factions to get more cosmetics. No ability or new item progression at all. Is this true?

For a full release 60 dollar game it seems very shallow. To me the current game sounds like a very solid base foundation to start a kickstarter on. They show that they have this built so far, but with X money raised the goals could be things like additional classes, epic quest lines for epic loot (new weapons, boat accessories or the likes), new ability trees, base building mechanics, and so on. It would be funded within hours. It looks absolutely amazing and a fantastic building block to build a game on. Current state though appears to be a pretty book cover with blank pages.

Question: Did you need to pay extra for early access with the pre order? I looked at the Microsoft store yesterday, and it was $10 more than it is today. Usually pre-orders have discounts, they're not more expensive.

It's only a massive game studio backed by one of the largest tech companies in the world creating a AAA game and selling it at a AAA price. What more could we really ask of them other then a fairly small sea, clicky click attacks and cell phone game like content? I mean, is there any example of a recent multiplayer AAA game that had a ton of shit to do? Probably no.

It's not like they said they had a ton of hidden content they kept held back in beta so everyone would be surprised by much wow content on release.

Last edited:
  • 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Lirik and crew played for 4ish hours and then got bored doing the same shit for no real reward. All of them said no way was this game worth $60, but any smart person knew that already.

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lirik and crew played for 4ish hours and then got bored doing the same shit for no real reward. All of them said no way was this game worth $60, but any smart person knew that already.

I'm not so sure; this is the first time a company has tried to pull something like this so a lot of people probably pre ordered.

• 1Worf

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'm not so sure; this is the first time a company has tried to pull something like this so a lot of people probably pre ordered.

That kinda ties into my last question. The fact that the price yesterday, for a pre-order, was more expensive than it is now on release. Was the price higher for a "pay more for immediate access", which is something other games have done too, or was it just more expensive to get $10 extra from pre-orders?

If this is all the game has, they had to know that once release hit, their sales would drop drastically as it would take no time at all (4-5 hours) to show that there was nothing there. If they also said that they hid things from the beta which wasn't true, then that is.... They then basically did the No Mans Sky thing of hyping the magic patch. The patch that fanboys for games (especially mmos) always believe is coming. However, usually that belief is started by a community suffering cognitive dissonance with "But I really wanted this game to be good. It must be good. Way back I heard they would add this and that! It will be at launch. I'm telling you guys, I know it" *proceeds to spam comment in every forum they visit*.

For a dev/publisher to hype something they absolutely know is not true (they know what the game does and doesn't have, they built it) is really shitty. It should be grounds for a return of product for false advertising.

It was also then possibly not the smartest move to annoy the customer base before even playing the game by forcing them to use the MS store and Xbox app.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That kinda ties into my last question. The fact that the price yesterday, for a pre-order, was more expensive than it is now on release. Was the price higher for a "pay more for immediate access", which is something other games have done too, or was it just more expensive to get $10 extra from pre-orders?

If this is all the game has, they had to know that once release hit, their sales would drop drastically as it would take no time at all (4-5 hours) to show that there was nothing there. If they also said that they hid things from the beta which wasn't true, then that is.... They then basically did the No Mans Sky thing of hyping the magic patch. The patch that fanboys for games (especially mmos) always believe is coming. However, usually that belief is started by a community suffering cognitive dissonance with "But I really wanted this game to be good. It must be good. Way back I heard they would add this and that! It will be at launch. I'm telling you guys, I know it" *proceeds to spam comment in every forum they visit*.

For a dev/publisher to hype something they absolutely know is not true (they know what the game does and doesn't have, they built it) is really shitty. It should be grounds for a return of product for false advertising.

It was also then possibly not the smartest move to annoy the customer base before even playing the game by forcing them to use the MS store and Xbox app.

well hopefully folks used that 10 a month microsoft subscription to try it out so the loss isn't so hard, or hopefully they're just causally enjoying the game for what it is. I really hate to see someone get burned with a game like this who don't have all that many $60 games they can buy a year.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
What if they are just using the game to get people subscribed to xbox pass? I mean I signed up for it just to try it out and started playing other games on xbox pass.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's not an rpg. It's an open arena pvp game without a scoreboard and with redundant objectives for the purpose of encouraging pvp. It's not like you really get anything more out of any comparable moba or battle arena game. Except that it's $60. If you have friends to play with, it's worth it, otherwise you're gonna have a bad time. I have a four man crew and already got my $60 worth playing more than 60 hours during the betas...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's not an rpg. It's an open arena pvp game without a scoreboard and with redundant objectives for the purpose of encouraging pvp. It's not like you really get anything more out of any comparable moba or battle arena game. Except that it's $60. If you have friends to play with, it's worth it, otherwise you're gonna have a bad time. I have a four man crew and already got my $60 worth playing more than 60 hours during the betas...

except there's little pvp and all the big streamers who were playing with a group just took a giant shit on it after playing yday and today. if you having fun though I respect that.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Except they were completely open about what was going to be in the game, they just limited what was available during the betas. You've got three faction based objectives, skeleton Island, and another random event (Kraken).

The opportunity for joint raids is possible, but right now getting multiple galleons on the same server is fucking impossible, so relies on randos not being pirates, oh the irony. Or is that irony.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Except they were completely open about what was going to be in the game, they just limited what was available during the betas. You've got three faction based objectives, skeleton Island, and another random event (Kraken).

The opportunity for joint raids is possible, but right now getting multiple galleons on the same server is fucking impossible, so relies on randos not being pirates, oh the irony. Or is that irony.

So the big held back content was more of the same type of objectives, a new island with the same mobs but their are more of them, and tentacles that pop up very rarely and you shoot them and they go away.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
except there's little pvp and all the big streamers who were playing with a group just took a giant shit on it after playing yday and today. if you having fun though I respect that.

I'm sure if it had a minecraft aspect they'd be sucking it's dick pretty hard. Which is the polar opposite of the game I want to play in this genre. But I agree with the general sentiment, if it was a $20-30 game it would be much more accepted/appreciated.

*edit, I also wish others playing the game weren't a bunch of pansy bitches and actually engaged. It's annoying as fuck to chase another ship. Though the one time we had four galleons in an area was epic as fuck.

spronk

FPS noob
this game sucks more dick than Zoe Quinn. i regret wasting the download time

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So the big held back content was more of the same type of objectives, a new island with the same mobs but their are more of them, and tentacles that pop up very rarely and you shoot them and they go away.

I feel like you've described every game ever.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure if it had a minecraft aspect they'd be sucking it's dick pretty hard. Which is the polar opposite of the game I want to play in this genre. But I agree with the general sentiment, if it was a $20-30 game it would be much more accepted/appreciated.

I'd have zero problem if this was sold as a 20-30 game. I just hate AAA claims / prices with an indie 3 person studio type game, especially considering the size of the studio, their backing, and how long they've been hyping this game. Just crazy.