Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
i got in on the xbox technical alpha as well, guess i signed up for that and not PC. its only a 6 gig download on xbox so pretty small, which is kinda weird in this day of 100 gig installs

I'm pretty sure the alpha works on both. I had to install the Xbox Insider Hub app on Win10 to download the game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it seems the design of this game kind of keeps the typical MMO PVP of gank and run out of the mix. Which is pretty cool. All the group activities look like a riot. Check out this video Utnayan Utnayan

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I have so much want for this game!

I need an MMO to play with the GF, and im realllyyyy close to resubbing to WoW at this point.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So it seems the design of this game kind of keeps the typical MMO PVP of gank and run out of the mix. Which is pretty cool. All the group activities look like a riot. Check out this video Utnayan Utnayan

This is going to be so damn epic. We are playing on PC or Xbox?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I will have to see how the cross chat functionality works. As long as that is easy to use, I would definitely go couch mode with a controller. Worse case, I buy digital and can play both anyway :)

I guarantee you we end up doing well for a couple hours until the rum kicks in, and then when on a puzzle quest on an island, we get confused, say screw it, and start singing Shanties for 4 hours until we pass out!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I will have to see how the cross chat functionality works. As long as that is easy to use, I would definitely go couch mode with a controller. Worse case, I buy digital and can play both anyway :)

I guarantee you we end up doing well for a couple hours until the rum kicks in, and then when on a puzzle quest on an island, we get confused, say screw it, and start singing Shanties for 4 hours until we pass out!

Sounds like an awesome way to spend an evening! I can imagine 6 of us getting totally stumped on what is probably a simple puzzle... that just requires 6 people doing something to actually solve.

rofl.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The snake and chicken breeding mini game has me the most curious. Just because it is so bizarre and... not-piratey.

Running around and catching them and then saving them from drowning in the leaky ass ship looked funny though.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
For people having trouble with the download, make sure that your Windows Store and Xbox Insider Hub apps are logged in with the same credentials. I spent a while stumbling around before I realized that they're totally separate systems despite the "Show in Store" link for SoT Alpha from the Insider Hub. It kept dumping me to the store page where my normal MS account didn't have access to the Alpha.

spronk

FPS noob
It says on the insider page you will only be selected for one platform, not sure how they decided I musta signed up for xbox when I first signed up. No big deal i'm happier to play on X this weekend anyways

"If you opted to participate on console or PC, be sure to check the xbox insider hub on both console and PC. You will only have been selected to participate on one platform."

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My brother and a few friends are in on PC. Putting the crew together tonight.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
played on x for an hour, sailed around on a LFG ship for a bit, our ship crashed into a dock and sank, rez'd back on the raised ship by myself when i swam out to a mer-man, then i sailed it solo to an island where i weighed anchor, swam out to the island, explored a bit but didn't really find anything, then the game crashed

its a pirates life for me

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
played on x for an hour, sailed around on a LFG ship for a bit, our ship crashed into a dock and sank, rez'd back on the raised ship by myself when i swam out to a mer-man, then i sailed it solo to an island where i weighed anchor, swam out to the island, explored a bit but didn't really find anything, then the game crashed

its a pirates life for me

Oh god, we can crash and sink. This is going to end well! lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Didn't realize we had two Pirate games coming out next year. That being said. Sea of Thieves is much more group play oriented than the Skull and Bones game coming out. Might end up playing both though!

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't realize we had two Pirate games coming out next year. That being said. Sea of Thieves is much more group play oriented than the Skull and Bones game coming out. Might end up playing both though!

Unfortunately, Skull and Bones is made by Ubisoft and I have zero confidence in them for anything other than running franchises into the ground.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im a bit confused on what the game is exactly.

co-op or pvp?
Private servers, or mmo?
1 time box fee?

Is it like a conan/ark/rust, but with actual pve content?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's an MMO and team PvP. No idea if it's a one time fee or not.

At least as far as I can tell.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
am I the only one that thinks its weird devs/marketers are so cagey about this stuff?

If I want to buy a monitor, I can click on tech specs, and get specifics. cut the bullshit, and tell me what the structure of your game is.

if mmo, are we talking instanced zones like Guildwars2. or community servers with single openworld, uncapped zones like wow? (and are we sure its not private community servers, like ark/conan/rust, etc.)

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
am I the only one that thinks its weird devs/marketers are so cagey about this stuff?

If I want to buy a monitor, I can click on tech specs, and get specifics. cut the bullshit, and tell me what the structure of your game is.

if mmo, are we talking instanced zones like Guildwars2. or community servers with single openworld, uncapped zones like wow? (and are we sure its not private community servers, like ark/conan/rust, etc.)

From what I can tell it does have servers to some capacity. Seems to be community open world. But it phases people in somehow. I don't understand how you find other players though or how you can know what treasure they have if you want to steal it. It is both co-op and PVP.

The progression video states that you can do quests for the 3 factions they have so far and doing these quests increases your rep with a faction that thus gives you better quests. The map is open world and quite large. Taking 8 RL hours to circumnavigate. There are soloable quests and group quests. The bigger ships require multiple people to operate effectively. It is one time box fee.

So it revolves are you and your mateys doing quests and other players also doing quests/attacking you and trying to take your shit.

• 1Like