Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Where do you get quests? I tooled around for an hour or so and only found a few vendors (I didn't have gold) and some skeletons.

spronk

FPS noob
There was one guy on an island who was a quest vendor who sold me one for 0g once, after that everything was 5g + . I quit the game after getting the quest though and i guess it timed out or something cuz i can't figure out how to access it and when I go back to him everything is 5g and i have 0g. so yeah, getting started in this game really sucks, i just kinda wander around aimlessly, get bored, and quit

spronk

FPS noob
Played a bit more today, was determined to figure out how the game actually worked. So there are two treasure map sellers (basically quests) in the starting towns, they will sell you maps for increasing costs but the first one is just 0g and nets you 30g in return. You have to "buy" the map for 0g, then go back to your ship and in the room with the giant map behind it is a smaller table where you can activate a quest/map. Your crew has to vote to make that your active quest, even if its a crew of 1. Then you have to use right bumper (dunno PC) to select and view the map, press right trigger to zoom in on the map and look at the text or location. Then go back to your main map in the cabin and find the island with the treasure, and then go sail to it, find the spot, fight off a bunch of skeletons, and reclaim the loot. Now you gotta haul the loot BACK to the map giver, so hope you remembered where the fuck you were and how to go back. If its a chest you have to haul it back to your ship, drop it (B), sail back, pick it up, and run it over like UPS.

All in all I found the whole experience extremely tedious and boring, I hope there is more to the game because its the most simplest and boringest 2004 style MMO fedex quests otherwise.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
From what little I have gathered, it is MMO like the open world parts of Destiny are. They are 'shared instances' where some people will be put together, but I get the impression there is a cap on zones or the like. So they do this thing where they put people together randomly in zones, but don't let them become too crowded. I don't know how it goes about putting 'friends' together or grouping you up for cooperative ship fleets etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Played a bit more today, was determined to figure out how the game actually worked. So there are two treasure map sellers (basically quests) in the starting towns, they will sell you maps for increasing costs but the first one is just 0g and nets you 30g in return. You have to "buy" the map for 0g, then go back to your ship and in the room with the giant map behind it is a smaller table where you can activate a quest/map. Your crew has to vote to make that your active quest, even if its a crew of 1. Then you have to use right bumper (dunno PC) to select and view the map, press right trigger to zoom in on the map and look at the text or location. Then go back to your main map in the cabin and find the island with the treasure, and then go sail to it, find the spot, fight off a bunch of skeletons, and reclaim the loot. Now you gotta haul the loot BACK to the map giver, so hope you remembered where the fuck you were and how to go back. If its a chest you have to haul it back to your ship, drop it (B), sail back, pick it up, and run it over like UPS.

All in all I found the whole experience extremely tedious and boring, I hope there is more to the game because its the most simplest and boringest 2004 style MMO fedex quests otherwise.

We're you playing alone?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, i'm playing solo, at first i tried the matchmaking bigger ship stuff but then just chose the solo ship option. sometimes i like playing games with other people but my feeling is always that pretty much any game can be fun if you play with friends, the true test of a game is how much fun it is alone.

i just hope they tweak the starting stuff, they should put their best foot forward and have the starter quests be really interesting and cool and fun, not 2004 MMO fedex quests.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They're streaming this today if anyone wants to check it out. Various channels on Twitch.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I will say these streamers are adopting the chicken shit strategy I predicted where they just wait near the quest turn in hub and prey upon players in smaller crews and kill people as they come to turn in quest items.

Then take their quest item and turn it in for themselves.

That's going to be a considerably shitty experience if you get raped coming into the quest hub every single time.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I had some fun in the Alpha, but I don't know how sustainable the game play will be. It felt very repetitive, and the re-spawn mechanics made combat bullshit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I had some fun in the Alpha, but I don't know how sustainable the game play will be. It felt very repetitive, and the re-spawn mechanics made combat bullshit.

Yeah. Needing to fully destroy the boat to prevent a re-spawn of the enemy crew really makes, "defeating" a crew on the high seas not very rewarding. They can easily come back and kill you even after you ganked all of them but didn't destroy the boat fast enough. That shit is weak sauce.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any ArcheAge veterans play this game? How does it compare to ARcheage's ship combat?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Like our beta tester said, this looks like it's going to get boring as fuck unless they add all sorts of extra mechanics ect before open beta / release. One of those games were the first day is amazing to play and the most fun you've ever had, and you log on the second day and realize you've done literally everything after an 18 hour poop sock session.

spronk

FPS noob
As a solo player this game is boring as fuck past 2 hours. Its just the most bullshit basic MMO questing with very little else to do. With 2-3 people its fun for a while but its still super basic shit, and while I'm sure they will add cool kraken type monsters for big ships to fight in the real game, the sandbox mechanics are still extremely basic. Its a game that is way more interesting to watch other people play than actually play yourself.

Its also weird that basically you can sub to xbox game pass for $10, play for a few hours, get 100% of your fill of the game, and then be done. Cool I guess but I can't figure out why you'd buy this game unless you have 3 other people you will play with and PVP against other crews. You can't even really do massive clans or anything like ArcheAge, I'm not even sure if the game even has clan features.

Cancelled my pre order, maybe I'll pay $10 to play for a month but I just can't get into the game at all as a solo player, and AC4 was one of my favorite games. The sailing shit is boring as fuck by yourself without an NPC crew. I was hoping this final beta would give some new shit to do but its the same basic ass game as the alpha has been the last year.

Beta code for anyone who wants in, redeem on xbox.com/redeemcode and you can then play on w10 or xbox - search sea of thieves on win10 store and you can download and run the 13gb beta
V7RWD-DYPH3-WRMJC-YR6D9-VCY4Z

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm not planning on playing this game if it doesn't have progression but watching Summit1G tonight has been some of the most hilarious shit ever.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If they don't have a hyper accelerated feature rollout plan over the next few months this is going to tank so hard. Suck too cause after watching it for a few hours the sailing and ambiance is really great looking. Isn't this considered a AAA microsoft owned studio game? wtf is going on here?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ladro

Anomaly
I played the alpha and thought this was boring as shit as well, was hoping it would have more to it for the beta but appears to not. Not sure what the fuck is going on, if they are purposefully limiting it or if this is really just what it is. Never a good sign if you don't see the entire game.