Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
This looks like Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden to me, hopefully more of the former than the latter because I did not enjoy Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 much at all. Other than the aesthetics I don't really see anything at all in common with Nioh.

I would kill for a new Tenchu with today's graphics. Played the shit out of it back in the day.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Meh, it keeps linking to the main channel.

but other one seems to work. Elajjaz playing the demo they made around 6 months ago. Looks amazing.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Of course not every game needs to be souls. Of course they are free to venture out into new territory. I watched that stream that was just posted and the action looks well designed, there is no doubt. This looks like a straight action game which is great, but I'm an RPG guy so it's just a simple case of not being for me at first blush. I keep hoping for one, just because it's been 3 years since the last souls experience. If the lore is still deep, I will still play it, but right now that seems to be the weakest part. The world just looks like stock midevil Japan. But Dark Souls did look like stock midevil Europe at first glance with no context as well, so there is still hope.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I better invest in a few more standby controllers and put a glass shield around my 65" OLED.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Might Have From Software's Most Punishing Take On Death

Staying alive is important, but death in Sekiro is more nuanced than in Souls games. If you're killed in battle, the Wolf can use his strange power to resurrect himself. In fact, you can use death as a tool-- enemies will often wander away from you after you fall, allowing you to resurrect and sneak up behind them to deal huge blows.

The caveat is, you only get two chances to revive yourself, and after that, the consequences are dire. Like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, you lose a huge amount of progress if you die and can't be resurrected. As you fight and kill enemies, you gain points you can use in progression trees to buy new skills and abilities for the Wolf to make him stronger; if you die, you lose half of all the points you've accumulated (but not the skills you've already acquired). The same goes for money, which is what you use to upgrade the Shinobi Prosthetic. Unplanned deaths seriously hamper your progression, and unlike the Souls games, you can't return to your own corpse to reclaim what you've lost.

What's more, death has further-reaching consequences than just slowing your ability to make yourself stronger. The more you die, the more a sickness called Dragon Rot grows in the world around you, and it can begin to afflict the people you've interacted with in the game. When a character you've met in Sekiro gets sick with the Dragon Rot, it'll change the ways they interact with you, possibly even stopping them from talking to you (or helping you, or selling you things, as the case may be). The sickness is represented by an item called Essence of Rot in your inventory, and you'll get one for each infected character. We didn't see what those characters' ultimate fates might be--Activision developers on-hand wouldn't reveal whether they could die in the name of holding back spoilers, but did say you'll be able to search for a cure to the disease to potentially the sick.

Though dying can be a huge setback in Sekiro, there is a chance you won't suffer the full pain of losing half of what you've earned every time. Sometimes when you die, a mechanic called Unseen Aid will kick in. This is basically a chance for divine intervention from the gods and Buddha, allowing you to keep all your experience points despite going to your grave. Unseen Aid has a relatively low chance of kicking in, though, and the more Essence of Rot you're carrying around, the lower the chance of receiving Unseen Aid becomes. The more you die, the tougher on you Sekiro can be.

So even with the revive system, death is a big consequence in Sekiro. Making sure you can avoid death's penalties has a big impact on how you'll play. You get two revive charges, but once you use them, each has a different requirement to restore them. One you get back from resting at one of the many idol statues in Sekiro, which are equivalent to the Souls games' bonfires, complete with the mechanic of restoring enemies you've already defeated to surrounding areas. The second charge comes from actually killing enemies--which means that you'll need to be aggressive when you return to the fight, or retreat to an idol (and respawn any defeated enemies) to protect yourself. Even if you just have the idol charge, you'll need to kill an enemy in order to be able to use it, though; you can't reclaim your own life without swapping one in return.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
tl:dr - Death alters the fucking world and NPC's you interact with.

Sweet Jesus.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The hype is real for me on this one. My family will probably be scared of me for a few weeks when I'm playing this. I yelled a lot during the Souls games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So how many of you are going to play this on PC? I'm going with the trusty PS4.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So how many of you are going to play this on PC?
I'm torn. I just built a crazy top-end PC, but I'm a bit concerned on the PC version of From games(at launch at least). I'll probably get it on PC, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
PS Pro for sure. PC ports are always terrible at launch and even onward. Playstation is where they work the best.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm going PC, the ports have been fine lol the only really bad one was the original port of DS1

world tendency was cool in DeS, thats one mechanic i was sad didnt make it over to DaS

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The PC ports of the Souls games have been fine after DS1. I"m definitely going PC for 60+FPS gameplay.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe I am too hyped for From Software games now after Bloodborne, but this Sekiro is looking to be one of "those" games that are on a higher level of design and quality.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users