Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, the free is crap though, it's "up to" 5mbps. Very few people that have it are getting anywhere close to 5, it's more like 1-2.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's going very, VERY slowly here in Kansas City. They still haven't even completed connections for the original announced small area of KC from a couple years back. They've since made announcements of expanding to multiple suburbs of KC, but are nowhere close even starting on connections to them.

At the rate they are going, it going to take roughly a decade to complete the roll out just here in KC. KC has a metro population of about 2.5 million people, and I would guess that as of now, roughly 2 years into the process, that maybe 100-200K people have access to Google Fiber, maybe. They are definitely still in the single-digit range as far as percent of city coverage.
I'm hoping that they are just being very meticulous and correcting mistakes/learning as they go instead of rolling it out as fast as they can. That way once they start to pick more cities they can roll it out much quicker and more efficiently.

Living in some random suburb of Chicago means I'm unlikely to ever get it in my lifetime, but a kid can dream!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What kind of speeds is the Google Fiber advertising once fully up and running?

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
What kind of speeds is the Google Fiber advertising once fully up and running?
Gigabit. These kinds of obnoxious screenshots get posted when people get it done:

DgTny5v.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If Google Fiber ever gets to me, I'm taking a week off work. I'd be the most excited I would be for something computer related since probably the Kunark expansion, I took a weeks vacation when that came out too, last time I did that for a video game release.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the free is crap though, it's "up to" 5mbps. Very few people that have it are getting anywhere close to 5, it's more like 1-2.
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm getting 3/.75? for $46. That's an awesome deal for scmucks like me that are fucked.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Even though there is no reasonable use for that much bandwidth, I like that they just say "we can make it this fast so we're making it this fast". Nice change from the Comcasts of the world that would like to just increase your speed by 10 mbps every few years when they feel like bumping the price up a bit and acting like they are actually improving their network rather than just removing artificial limits that they put on it in the first place.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm getting 3/.75? for $46. That's an awesome deal for scmucks like me that are fucked.
If it makes you feel any better, I am paying $79.99 for 3/.128 and I have a 17GB download cap on a 30 day rolling window. If I go over the cap, they throttle me to .128/.128 until my cap number gets to 70% which inexplicably always takes 3 weeks.

The main upside to it is that I can make almost anyone feel better about their current broadband options.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
If it makes you feel any better, I am paying $79.99 for 3/.128 and I have a 17GB download cap on a 30 day rolling window. If I go over the cap, they throttle me to .128/.128 until my cap number gets to 70% which inexplicably always takes 3 weeks.

The main upside to it is that I can make almost anyone feel better about their current broadband options.
Lol thanks for that. Sad thing is I live in a big city (by Louisiana standards) that actually has fiber, but they don't run it to my neighborhood for whatever damn reason. I'd be getting like 50 down if I actually had access to it for the same price.

Edit: After researching my local fiber I had no idea that so few places actually have it. Also, had no idea the legal battle the city government went through to actually make it happen.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
If Google Fiber ever gets to me, I'm taking a week off work. I'd be the most excited I would be for something computer related since probably the Kunark expansion, I took a weeks vacation when that came out too, last time I did that for a video game release.
Read this and thought "I'll download internet.zip!"

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
haha, I'd probably take a week off as well, just because it's so awesome. With those speeds, so many things are possible!

and who says you can't still take time off for Kunark? I did it on EQ's progression servers not that long ago. Every new expansion that drops is exciting rush to be the first! hehe

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
So I feel like I already know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm currently using Uverse (no complaints like others though) at my apartment complex but I'm moving into a new house in less than a month. Despite my best efforts it doesn't appear that anything other than satellite is going to be available in the neighborhood for the foreseeable future (I work for AT&T and it doesn't seem we are adding DSL capacity and/or availability for Uverse right now in the neighborhood). Part of that seems to be because the cable companies can't have access to the land for providing service. Whatever I guess.

The question boils down to do I look at satellite internet (assuming still terrible latency on average) or look at getting some sort of LTE hotspot. My primary concern isn't browsing the web but still playing MMO's which I had a friend who tried playing EQ years ago with it and it was a horrible experience. I'm sort of leaning toward the LTE hotspot being better latency wise to game when wanted (PC, Playstation, Xbox, etc.) and just use the satellite for normal browsing/email.

Do any of you have recommendations? I couldn't be more bummed at the lack of internet options I'm having at the new place. Should have picked a better location.
frown.png

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you can get LTE and it has a decent data cap then it's a no-brainer. You don't want satellite unless you have no other option. I say this as someone who has been on satellite for the last 5 years. Latency is near 1 second and will never get better unless they reduce the time it takes radio waves to travel 20,000 miles.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've noticed the resolution on my netflix on comcast has been pretty shitty lately.. although I cannot confirm this with any sort of numbers, just an observation.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do any of you have recommendations? I couldn't be more bummed at the lack of internet options I'm having at the new place. Should have picked a better location.
frown.png
I've used quite a few different services, my father has Hughesnet satellite at his lake home. I'd emphatically say that satellite is WAY better than his only other option of dialup, but that's about all it's better than. If you legitimately can get a 4G LTE signal at your home, go that route, it's going to be better in every possible way.

You can web browse with satellite, but it's almost impossible to do online gaming(unless you're playing some turn-based strategy game) and it isn't very good at streaming video either. I've gotten Netflix to work, but the quality is horrid it has to decrease the quality so much to be able to stream. Unfortunately, there's zero cell data signal at my dads lake house either, so satellite is his only option other than dialup.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Even if you could get Netflix to stream decently, it would kill your data cap for the month in one night of watching TV. My video streaming is pretty much limited to 240p youtube videos and not too many of them.