Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Customers should get organized and flood their customer service with complaints about it. You can always threaten to switch to DSL even if you are not actually willing to do that.

spronk

FPS noob
its pretty fucked up how we seem to be stalling on bandwidth. cable providers don't wanna upgrade all their systems to provide gigabit connections end to end, since it'll cost hundreds of billions. Meanwhile they wanna keep adding cable TV channels, and that uses more or less the same bandwidth for internet. the only reason google fiber exists is so that google can play around with it and try and prod providers to get faster speeds, there is no chance ever of google fiber being in 90% of America since there are complex and arcane local laws covering the sewer/pipe facilities which basically let cable/phone companies refuse new competitors right of access.

the only real breakthrough will occur is if someone gets insane wireless networking that works seamlessly in large, large areas. Google is playing around with shit like zeppelins and stuff to do this, we just have to hope someone gets it done sooner than later. That will completely break cable and telephone companies, when everyone has completely free, 1 gigabit wireless connections with no bandwidth restrictions available in 99% of the country. It will also spark a massive revolution in IT as we finally move to a full cloud based infrastructure, but you pretty much see it already with Netflix, Playstation Now, gmail, torrents, steam, etc.

Countries like India, China, Russia, etc are all already more or less using wireless as the sole networking infrastructure, since getting houses wired there is nearly impossible and its impossible to maintain buried cables.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The local telephone co-op has set up LTE towers in some of the rural areas around here in lieu of providing wired broadband. It seems like a pretty decent option but they told me that it wouldn't be feasible in my area because there are too many hills.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I'm considering moving next to a new Google office. I can only get Comcast where I live now (a 10 minute walk from their office), but Verizon FIOS has hooked up the area around Google and somehow even Comcast is cheaper there...

Do cable companies enjoy the same kind of immunity from lawsuits as airlines? That's really the only explanation I have for why they aren't constantly being sued.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So, no way that passes approval from the FCC right? I can't imagine they would let the #1 and #2 largest cable providers merge, talk about a monopoly...

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The people at Charter have to be pissed, they've been trying to buy Time Warner for a while. They even enlisted Comcasts help, saying they would sell cable systems in the east coast to them. It will get approval from the FCC, even though it will fuck the customers.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
its pretty fucked up how we seem to be stalling on bandwidth. cable providers don't wanna upgrade all their systems to provide gigabit connections end to end, since it'll cost hundreds of billions. Meanwhile they wanna keep adding cable TV channels, and that uses more or less the same bandwidth for internet. the only reason google fiber exists is so that google can play around with it and try and prod providers to get faster speeds, there is no chance ever of google fiber being in 90% of America since there are complex and arcane local laws covering the sewer/pipe facilities which basically let cable/phone companies refuse new competitors right of acces.
LUSFiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basically my city fought those laws, ended up winning, and now there's fiber to like 90%-95% of the town. It's bullshit that they actually have these laws in place to deny competition though.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
LUSFiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basically my city fought those laws, ended up winning, and now there's fiber to like 90%-95% of the town. It's bullshit that they actually have these laws in place to deny competition though.
Yeah the free market, isn't so free when it comes to cable and telephone companies. I wish Congress would force cable companies to open up their lines to competition, like they have in Canada. Then we would see true competition

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It would be nice but it will sadly never happen with the way things work in congress right now. Whoever can write the biggest check wins.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
wonder what this would mean for twc customers in nyc...

http://nyti.ms/1g1ofEc

Time Warner Cable and Comcast Strike $45.2 Billion Deal

February 13, 2014, 7:11 am

Time Warner Cable and Comcast Strike $45.2 Billion Deal

By DAVID GELLES

Updated, 9:30 a.m.

Comcast, the nation?s largest cable operator, wants to get even larger.

Already the dominant player in providing pay television services to American consumers, Comcast and announced on Thursday a deal for Time Warner Cable?s boards, which will create a behemoth that will dominate the media industry.

It is the second transformative deal for Comcast in recent years, coming just months after it completed an acquisition of NBC Universal, the TV and movie studio. And the deal, if completed, could have impacts on consumers across the country, though it is unlikely to reduce competition in many markets.

Describing the deal as ?a friendly, stock-for-stock transaction,? Comcast will acquire 100 percent of Time Warner Cable?s 284.9 million shares outstanding, in a deal worth about $45.2 billion in stock value.

The deal will leave Time Warner Cable shareholders owning approximately 23 percent of Comcast?s common stock.

?The financial benefits of this are attractive and will create sustainable benefits for years to come,? Comcast?s chief executive, Brian Roberts, said on a conference call on Thursday.

Comcast is also expanding its share repurchase program to $10 billion, a move that will somewhat offset the dilution from issuing so many new shares as part of the deal.

Comcast and Time Warner Cable do not overlap in any markets, meaning that there are no consumers who will see their choices in cable operators diminished as a result of a deal.

?We do not operate in any of the same ZIP codes,? Mr. Roberts said. ?We believe this transaction is approvable,? Mr. Roberts said. ?It is pro-consumer, pro-competitive, and strongly in the public interest.?

Nonetheless, about 8 million current Time Warner Cable customers will become Comcast customers. That may be a good thing for those customers, as Comcast is seen as an industry leader in terms of providing high-quality television and Internet services, while Time Warner Cable has a reputation for poor customer service.

For the three million customers that Comcast plans to divest, they will likely see their service taken over by other regional cable operators such as Cox, Cablevision or Charter Communications.

Comcast will acquire a net of about eight million subscribers, bringing its total customer base to about 30 million. Comcast noted in its news release that it would have less than 30 percent of the market share for pay television subscribers in the United States after the deal.

Time Warner Cable executives also said the move would benefit its customers.

?On a personal level, it?s never easy to cede control of a company,? said Rob Marcus, Time Warner Cable?s chief executive. ?However in this case, it just makes too much sense.?

The merger is almost certain to bring to an end a protracted takeover battle that Charter Communications has been waging for Time Warner Cable. Last month, Charter proposed to acquire Time Warner Cable for $132.50 a share, an offer Time Warner rebuffed as ?grossly inadequate.?

On Thursday, Charter did not address the deal directly, saying only that ?Charter has always maintained that our greatest opportunity to create value for our shareholders is by executing our current business plan, and that we will continue to be disciplined in this and any other M.&A. activity we pursue.?

The merger agreement between Comcast and Time Warner Cable is also subject to shareholder approval at both companies. The companies said the deal was expected to close by the end of the year.

J.P. Morgan, Paul J. Taubman, and Barclays served as the financial advisers to Comcast and Davis Polk & Wardwell and Willkie Farr & Gallagher were its legal advisers. Morgan Stanley, Allen & Company, Citigroup and Centerview Partners advised Time Warner Cable and its board, while Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom served as legal advisers.

The deal combines the biggest and second-biggest cable television operators in the country.Sam Mircovich/Reuters The deal combines the biggest and second-biggest cable television operators in the country.

This post has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: February 13, 2014

An earlier version of this article misstated the competition between Comcast and Time Warner Cable. They compete in no markets, not very few.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure they will be that unhappy. Comcast has plenty of people who dislike them, but I don't think they are nearly as universally hated by their customers as TWC.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Its possible. I have Charter and I'm fairly happy with them, except the switch to all digital made my clear qam tuners useless

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
After my whole block complaining for almost 3 years[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */finally sent a "head" tech guy too investigate.

As he put it "how the fuck does it even work" hahahahahhahaha will be fixed next week finally

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
haha, I'd probably take a week off as well, just because it's so awesome. With those speeds, so many things are possible!

and who says you can't still take time off for Kunark? I did it on EQ's progression servers not that long ago. Every new expansion that drops is exciting rush to be the first! hehe
Pfft, with gigabit you wouldn't need to take time off everything would download instantly!

Fadaar

That guy
Pfft, with gigabit you wouldn't need to take time off everything would download instantly!
Pretty sure at that point hard drive space/speeds are going to be the limiting factor
biggrin.png