Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Apparently it's been on the list for a while, but I just found out Phoenix AZ is on the potential cities list for Google Fiber.

So is San Antonio, where I'll be moving sometime this year. Austin already has it, so I hope that team can just move straight over to San Antonio.

Perfect time to start a boycott against Comcast/TWC, and get everyone onto Google Fiber!!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The thread on Reddit yesterday about all the new Google Fiber cities kinda cracked me up. People were rejoicing like they had just won the lottery. Little do they realize it'll probably be 5+ years before they actually have access to it. If they roll out like they do in KC, people are going to be waiting a long, long time. The going is VERY slow.

Crone

The thread on Reddit yesterday about all the new Google Fiber cities kinda cracked me up. People were rejoicing like they had just won the lottery. Little do they realize it'll probably be 5+ years before they actually have access to it. If they roll out like they do in KC, people are going to be waiting a long, long time. The going is VERY slow.
Oh ya, it's going to be slow going. Was all this information of the new pending cities just released yesterday? I wasn't sure.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_60667.png

Wherever they're going, it's good news that they are still talking about expanding. Google has a tendency to be a bit ADD on some of this stuff and I wouldn't have been surprised if they just sort of did this half assed and then sold it off to someone so they could go build robots or some shit but it seems like they are still serious about it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If google is going to build robots to run fiber optic cable to everyone in the US then I welcome our new Google overlords and I will be putting a framed photo of Larry Page up in my living room.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I find it humorous that they are going into several cities in the silicon-valley area, EXCEPT the cities where Facebook or Apple are located. lol.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol Time Warner

Time Warner Cable Internet speeds: Austin sees boost up to 300Mbps | BGR
Time Warner Cable announced on Thursday that it's offering a new plan for its customers in Austin that will deliver speeds of up to 300Mbps, which the company says is six times faster than its current best offering. TWC is boosting speeds on all of its broadband tiers throughout Austin as well: Its 15Mbps service will get a boost to 50Mbps while its 20Mbps service will get a boost up to 100Mbps, and so on. While these speeds still can't match the 1Gbps offered by Google Fiber they're a definite improvement over the status quo and are better than what the vast majority of ISPs offer elsewhere in the United States.

Of course, it's pretty ironic that Time Warner Cable is boosting its speeds in one particular market where it happens to face competition even as it's telling everyone else that they don't really want super-fast Internet service. All the same, it's good to see the company upping its game even if it's only in one market.
I'd happily take that right now. If they can roll it out in Austin they should be able to roll it out anywhere. I want my 50/5 bumped to 300/20 for the same price

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
But...but...it's impossible! Infrastructure is too expensive! How are they doing it?!?! Alien witchcraft, mostly likely.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nice to know that they can basically just do the equivalent of flipping a switch to give their customers faster service, yet arbitrarily choose not to do it until they are forced to.

Bunch of fuckers

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I doubt that anyone cares but I am switching to a different satellite provider (DishNet) tomorrow. Instead of 3Mb and a 17 GB total download cap it has 5Mb and a 15 GB cap with an additional 15 GB that can be used between between 2AM and 8AM. Since a significant portion of my bandwidth use is podcasts, I can download my podcasts before 8 AM and it should work out better. It also has a set reset day instead of a rolling 30 day window so if you go over 3 days before the end of the month you are only throttled for 3 days instead of 3 weeks. You can also buy extra data for $10/GB which is not an option with my current provider.

Crone

I doubt that anyone cares but I am switching to a different satellite provider (DishNet) tomorrow. Instead of 3Mb and a 17 GB total download cap it has 5Mb and a 15 GB cap with an additional 15 GB that can be used between between 2AM and 8AM. Since a significant portion of my bandwidth use is podcasts, I can download my podcasts before 8 AM and it should work out better. It also has a set reset day instead of a rolling 30 day window so if you go over 3 days before the end of the month you are only throttled for 3 days instead of 3 weeks. You can also buy extra data for $10/GB which is not an option with my current provider.
Are you sure you are ready for your new found speeds and download freedom?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's going to be pretty crazy but I think I can handle it.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
It doesn't matter, just the threat of bringing Fiber in Austin made TWC to triple speeds for customers and Fiber is not even yet serviced in Austin.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesn't matter, just the threat of bringing Fiber in Austin made TWC to triple speeds for customers and Fiber is not even yet serviced in Austin.
Google should just announce Fiber in 100 metropolitan areas by 2020 to get all these fucking companies to increase our speeds.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, all TW did here in Kansas City was to basically bump everyone up to the next already-existing tier for the same price. My $60 a month for 25/5 became $60 a month for 50/5. Of course then about 6 months after that they hiked everyones rates $5-$10 a month, which they claim would have happened regardless of the speed hikes for everyone. Now I'm still at 50/5 but for $70 a month