Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Buy it. It's a $60 modem that they will want to charge you $8 a month for or something ridiculous. You come out ahead pretty quickly.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
New area I'm moving to (Merritt Island, FL) can do Direct TV, Dish, TWC and uVerse.
I know satellite sucks ass, but for the other two, what's the consensus?

And I'd rather have reliable over cheaper if that matters.

(if a tie uVerse is around $30 cheaper here)
Satellite only sucks ass if you live somewhere that has constant weather problems/thunderstorms(but that may be the case in Florida)

After years of Time Warner and Comcast, i LOVE DirecTV. The picture quality is better(less/no compression) and it's very reliable. I've maybe lost a total of 2 hours of signal in 2 years of having it. Then again, it doesn't rain every day here or anything like it does in some areas of Florida. Also, cheaper. Not counting new-user temporary pricing, my DirecTV is a good $30-$40 a month cheaper than anything I ever had with Time Warner or Comcast. I pay $90 a month now for their top-tier channel package(no premium/movie channels) and then $70 for separate Time Warner Internet. When I had that same package with TW, I was at $205 a month.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With the reliability I was meaning for internet. And correction from earlier - brighthouse is the cable provider I'm comparing vs uVerse.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Buy it. It's a $60 modem that they will want to charge you $8 a month for or something ridiculous. You come out ahead pretty quickly.
Thanks for the reply. Should I go with an all-in-one system or is it better to have them separate. Are these good choices?

Modem
Amazon.com: ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging: Electronics

Wireless router
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button: Electronics

The router seems cheap to me. Should I go with something else or is that fine? The only thing that uses the wireless are the phones/tablets and my ps3.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, if you want more than 1 wired PC in your home, or a wireless signal in your home you do need a separate router for that. That model of Motorola cable modem is wired only, and is not a multi-port hub, you can only plug 1 computer(or 1 router) into it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That was fucking annoying as hell. I calls from 3 people that I do computer work for asking me to make house calls to fix their internet that morning. Once I noticed that my internet was down and that I couldn't get to any Time Warner site on my phone, I was glad to tell them that it was on TW's end and I couldn't fix it for them. TW needs some competition around here so I can finally drop them.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
25 up/down seems like setting the bar pretty low even though for me it would be a massive upgrade.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
25 up/down seems like setting the bar pretty low even though for me it would be a massive upgrade.
Ya, same here

The FCC stating that yes the telecom industry in the US is a duopoly and something needs to be done about it, but not giving us any solutions to the problem(the only vague thing we do know for sure, wheeler stated in June he was gonna see about nullifying all these telecom based laws in states that basically make it impossible for Utility's too start networks.) this fast-lane shit is gonna hurt everything except the big companies who can actually afford it...(Google/FB/Twitter/Amazon/Netflix(albiet Netflix is already getting dinged...))

Siliconemelons

I just moved, decided not to xfer my roadrunner (brighthouse) but try WOW who bought knowlodgy's lines or whatnot- 20$ a month for a year for their 13/15D 1/2U internet- my modem 5$ more per month to rent theirs- bought some cisco new off ebay for 15$

How would it work if I got Dish for TV? as the internet used the coax that was already in the house?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just moved, decided not to xfer my roadrunner (brighthouse) but try WOW who bought knowlodgy's lines or whatnot- 20$ a month for a year for their 13/15D 1/2U internet- my modem 5$ more per month to rent theirs- bought some cisco new off ebay for 15$

How would it work if I got Dish for TV? as the internet used the coax that was already in the house?
They'll have to run new coax. I have Time Warner internet and DirecTV for television, and they can't share the same coax line. I had the TW first, so when DirecTV came out they had to run new coax from the satellite, into my home, and to each TV/box in my home. It took half a damn day for 2 techs to do it all, but at least it was free*

*free if you don't count my wife bitching at me that there were "too many cords everywhere"

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Would be a decent upgrade for me as well. I pay $60 for 20/10 and the additional 15 up would be nice for when I want to stream something from my plex server when I'm at work.

Siliconemelons

They'll have to run new coax. I have Time Warner internet and DirecTV for television, and they can't share the same coax line. I had the TW first, so when DirecTV came out they had to run new coax from the satellite, into my home, and to each TV/box in my home. It took half a damn day for 2 techs to do it all, but at least it was free*

*free if you don't count my wife bitching at me that there were "too many cords everywhere"
How well did they run lines? like in the wall or did they just run it all along the floorboards? My new house is old and the coax that exists is really poorly run and organized - I was thinking of redoing it all myself along with cat-6 as I would love to have all my PS3's and media center computer all hard wired.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
They just ran it along floorboards, it wasn't an overly great install. Don't expect anything beyond the bare minimum to make it functional from their free install service.

That being said though, don't re-do your stuff before they come, they really, really don't want to use any existing lines even if you guarantee that you just installed them yourself. Basically, their install techs are responsible for having to go back out a 2nd time for any problems, they get dinged on that, so they don't want to touch anything that already exists, they want to run their own stuff so they know 100% that it's new and there won't be any problems with it.

So, wait until they do their shitty install(you might tell them to just leave the wires loose, don't screw them into trim boards or anything), and then re-do it yourself after the fact.

Siliconemelons

They just ran it along floorboards, it wasn't an overly great install. Don't expect anything beyond the bare minimum to make it functional from their free install service.

That being said though, don't re-do your stuff before they come, they really, really don't want to use any existing lines even if you guarantee that you just installed them yourself. Basically, their install techs are responsible for having to go back out a 2nd time for any problems, they get dinged on that, so they don't want to touch anything that already exists, they want to run their own stuff so they know 100% that it's new and there won't be any problems with it.

So, wait until they do their shitty install(you might tell them to just leave the wires loose, don't screw them into trim boards or anything), and then re-do it yourself after the fact.
Yeah if I am going to crawl into the attic and drop wire its going to be done right. WOW actually did a decent job on their install- they ran a new line from my main in- on the house to their box, and a new wire from the box to the trunk and had people come an bury the outdoor line. He said if I moved to getting TV that they would test every line in the house to make sure it was okay and replace any that needed it- but I was just wondering how doing two services (WOW isp and Sat TV) would work.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Verizon sent out an automated phone call today. I had not signed up for the rewards+ program or whatever it was but they still speed matched upload/download. My FiOS was billed as 75/35 previously

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider