Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Yep, seems that some ISP in Texas has fought them back, and they have silently pulled away...

Internet service provider and cable operator Grande Communications Networks LLC advises the Court that, one (1) business day after Grande filed its Motion to Quash Subpoena in this proceeding seeking to quash a subpoena served by Rightscorp, Inc. (the "Subpoena"), counsel for Rightscorp, Mr. Dennis J. Hawk withdrew the Subpoena.

The abrupt withdrawal of the Subpoena is consistent with the apparent desire of Rightscorp and its counsel to avoid judicial review of their serial misuse of the subpoena power of the federal courts. In addition, the withdrawal comes only after Grande was forced to expend considerable resources handling the Subpoena (and attempting to discuss it with Rightscorp's counsel) and then preparing and filing the Motion to Quash.

As detailed in Grande's Motion, the Subpoena presented an extraordinarily undue burden (over 30,000 subscriber lookups) and was issued to a cable operator without an order as required by the Cable Communications Act. Even more egregiously, it appears that the Subpoena is only one of approximately one hundred (100) or more similar subpoenas issued by Rightscorp to regional Internet service providers located across the country (presumably chosen because they are less likely to contest the subpoenas than national Internet service providers with larger in-house legal departments) upon the signature of the Clerk of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, seeking the personally identifiable information of thousands of individuals beyond the jurisdiction of the California courts, despite the fact that such subpoenas may not be sent and issued under 17 U.S.C. ? 512(h) to an Internet service provider acting as a conduit under law that has been established for a decade.

Under the circumstances, this Court or the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California may consider ordering Rightscorp and its counsel to show cause why they should not be sanctioned for misusing the federal court's subpoena powers. Such an order would be appropriate in connection with Grande's request for costs and attorney's fees in the Motion.

Beyond any doubt, Rightscorp and its counsel failed and refused to "take reasonable steps to avoid imposing undue burden or expense" on Grande. Fed. R. Civ. P. 45(d)(1). As Grande has explained, before the Motion was filed, Rightscorp's counsel's only response to Grande's efforts to confer was a threat that "[w]e expect compliance by the service providers" and that Rightscorp "does not pay to obtain the address details on infringers."

In addition, Rightscorp's conduct also raises concerns under Rule 11, and, regardless, may present appropriate circumstances for the imposition of sanctions under the Court's inherent powers.

The next business day after the Motion was filed, Rightscorp's counsel made a hasty retreat. If Rightscorp believed it had a good faith basis for the Subpoena, it would have asserted its position before this Court.

But Rightscorp must know that its position and practice would not survive judicial review. If Grande had not challenged the Subpoena, Rightscorp would have improperly obtained the personally identifiable information of hundreds (or thousands) of Texas Internet subscribers using an invalid procedure, without the notice to any of them that would have followed from the court order that Rightscorp refused to seek to obtain, and without the slightest requirement of any showing to the California court whose signature Rightscorp improperly utilized. It appears clear that Rightscorp and its counsel are playing a game without regard for the rules, and they are playing that game in a manner calculated to avoid judicial review. Hopefully, they will not be permitted to continue much longer.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Fucking Time Warner is such a piece of shit.

I put in a move request, for October the 3rd. Everything fine and dandy.

Today I called because I'm going to need some digital adapters, and they say "Oh, but you are getting your service disconnected tomorrow for the move" and I'm like "WTF Tomorrow is the 24, thats TWO weeks before I move!"

Trying to fix that shit right now as we speak, being bounced through several departments. Fuck TWC and their piece of shit systems and customer service.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Well, I called yesterday and they said they would cancel the service cancellation; they partly lied of course, today I wake up and have internet, but NO phone, they disconnected it. And I use the landline for work. Fucking TWC is such a piece of shit

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
hehe, that's actually pretty expensive. here we have 100 mbps for 8$, 200 mbps for 12, 500 mbps for 15$ and 1gbps for 18$. To only competition they have (at least in my town) is 16 mbps ADSL for 8$/month. My ISP is also a cable and mobile provider. Cable is 10$ and mobile is another 7$ (unlimited calls almost anywhere in the world).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How much of that is subsidized? And yes, if we're going to bring up subsidies, it's fair to modify US prices for tax breaks I'm sure they receive(like VZW paying next to no taxes) and free infrastructure. I'm just not sure on the numbers itself.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It is very rare to see subsidized telecom outside of the US, so fucking sad that this is the way it is...

18$ for 1gpbs please fuck I wouldn't have to leave home for work...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only downside is you'd have to live in Romania. I mean, I've never been.. but I'm not sure they even have McDonalds.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure if you live in Romania, you can't leave the house at night without a string of garlic and a sharpened wooden stake. That basically begins and ends my knowledge of Romania. Oh, and they have hot female gymnasts.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
We've had McDonalds for as long as I can remember. KFC came about 15 years ago, Burger King had a ~1 year run before they pulled out. Subway / Starbucks have been around for 3-5 years. I did drink my first Dr. Pepper ~2 years ago and 2 months ago Monster Energy Drink started showing up in shops (drinking one right now).

Siliconemelons

What's wrong with Romania? I would rock Romania - big giant 6'8" wondering around- I love Castlevania so I would kill a few vampires a year as my civic duty.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wait... Burger King left? I don't know if I can go through with this.

I only knew one guy from Romania and he had one big foot and one tiny foot. He kept introducing himself to me (multiple times per hour) and shaking my hand. I don't trust you Romanians one bit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
hehe, that's actually pretty expensive. here we have 100 mbps for 8$, 200 mbps for 12, 500 mbps for 15$ and 1gbps for 18$. To only competition they have (at least in my town) is 16 mbps ADSL for 8$/month. My ISP is also a cable and mobile provider. Cable is 10$ and mobile is another 7$ (unlimited calls almost anywhere in the world).
How fast is your connection when downloading off a server in London?