Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
why test London

3789351762.png

when i can test Comcast(Boston) for example (first major city I hoovered over)
3789356148.png

I should mention all plans are limited to ~100 mbps upload.

edit : i'm not even in the 1%

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
http://stopthecap.com/2014/10/14/sou...e-0-8-seconds/

South Korea getting 10gbps, meanwhile in the US, ATT and Verizon say 4mbps is good enough for broadband in the US. Its time to nationalize the internet in the US for the good of the country and our technology industry.
The fact that it isn't a utility at this point in time is a testament to how entrenched in the pockets of our lawmakers these companies are.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If there is one set of people I support going all General Anthony on its Bankers and Media companies raping our internet.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The fact that it isn't a utility at this point in time is a testament to how entrenched in the pockets of our lawmakers these companies are.
I also think a lot of it has to do that the average congressman is an old fogey who probably doesn't use the internet to do anything beyond Skyping with his grandkids. They don't understand how it can effect business and an economy as a whole. They just think its nothing but kids watching rap videos and playing video games, they don't "get it" at all. The Supreme Court is the same way as well.

Oldbased

> Than U
Well all my promotions was expiring so I contacted DISH to remove them as I wasn't going to pay $140 a month for absolutely everything, they came back to finish up the rest of my year of savings at 50% off on everything which is basically Blockbuster for $5 HBO for $9.50 and cinemax and starz for $7 each. I know it was overpriced at what they had, but those are pretty decent prices. So for the next 9 months I got the 3 boxes/5 tuners and all channels and prems for $110. Add in $55 for cable extreme internet I have locked in for 9 months and it is still $60 cheaper than the Time Warner bullshit I had before.

Edit and fuck this country where "Extreme is the 4th tier prices and still only 30 mpbs"

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I currently have TWC with 'starter' TV which is pretty much local channels for like 4.99$ extra a month and I was thinking of upgrading to have Comedy Central and Discovery and fucking christ, it jumps to 29.99$ AND I need a special CableBox that costs 11/mo to RENT.

Fuck
That
Shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I currently have TWC with 'starter' TV which is pretty much local channels for like 4.99$ extra a month and I was thinking of upgrading to have Comedy Central and Discovery and fucking christ, it jumps to 29.99$ AND I need a special CableBox that costs 11/mo to RENT.

Fuck
That
Shit.
I really hope that with HBO now offering stand-alone HBO go and the rise of Hulu and Netflix that we are getting closer to a-la-carte cable/satellite TV channels. They're almost going to have to, or go extinct I would think. I pay $91 a month for about 450 channels with DirecTV. I watch about 5 of them. It's dumb as hell.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I wonder how much TWC/Comcast/Charter make from 'modem, cable boxes rentals'. That 11$ thing/mo is FUCKING BANANAS for ONE box.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I wonder how much TWC/Comcast/Charter make from 'modem, cable boxes rentals'. That 11$ thing/mo is FUCKING BANANAS for ONE box.
The rental fees is why I bought my own cable card tuner and use Windows Media center. I have hopes for android TV that I can use my cable card tuner with it since Microsoft stopped development of Media Center

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I really hope that with HBO now offering stand-alone HBO go and the rise of Hulu and Netflix that we are getting closer to a-la-carte cable/satellite TV channels. They're almost going to have to, or go extinct I would think. I pay $91 a month for about 450 channels with DirecTV. I watch about 5 of them. It's dumb as hell.
No, they'll start forcing you to buy a cable "package". You won't be able to get internet without the TV portion. That's how they'll fix a-la-carte.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Or lower the data caps to protect their video profits. Pretty much the consumer is fucked because of the duopoly nature of our telecommunications industry in this country.

W

Wrathcaster

This might be better suited to the Computer Issues thread, but I am fairly certain this has nothing to do with the actual PC's involved.

The house in which I live was built in the 50's, it has pretty ancient electrical and cable wiring that's never been replaced as far as I know. I have a pretty basic broadband cable connection, but not unreasonable dl/ul limitations. I know that's not the issue I'm dealing with.

I absolutely cannot efficiently and consistently carry on streaming voice communications and multiplayer games. Teamspeak, League of Legends, Dota, DayZ, etc. All are unplayable. Majority of tests turn up between 25-28% packet loss. I have complained to the local ISP, and they came and replaced every connection coming to the house and buried all the cables. The official word was that we had suffered critical squirrel chewing damage to the cable lines.

All cables from the ISP to the house have now been replaced and buried, but the problem persists. I'll detail to you just how horrible it is here: the lines run to the side of the house, to a splitter, which then loops around to the house, which then cuts through a hole in the wall directly to the modem and router running the entire network. Yes. There is actually a hole in the wall that admits a cable and is basically just a circular cut in the house. You can look through the motherfucker. The cable from the splitter that connects to the new cable line that has been recently been attached to the house just fucking shoots through the goddamned hole in the wall.

I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I'm a newcomer to this piece of property. I didn't design any of this or intend for it to be this way. Some fucker years ago fucked this together whenever broadband made it to this area, and now I have to deal with it.

I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing other than knowing that if your cables are fucked, you replace them, and if your router is fucked you unfuck it, primarily by unplugging it and plugging it back in. More than anything, I have no experience battling squirrels that have seemingly devoured every connection to the house. I didn't know it when I got the motherfucker, but apparently they are voracious and have killed off cables for goddamn near two decades.

Interesting fact: the house next door, which was owned by the same family until the last year, has absolutely pristine connection quality. I ran in with a laptop, did a test wireless via pingtest, then tried out TS and a brief session on DayZ, BF4, and PA. Completely fine. That house was built in the fucking 20's.

So, the cables running to the house are brand new, and go to a shitty Walmart level splitter which further goes to god knows how old cable lines that run outside, around the wall, through a goddamned hole in the wall exposed in the wall, to the main PC that is connected to the modem and router.

Should I just replace the cables, or should I just murder everyone involved and blow my head off while I dive into a deep river?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Replace the coax inside your home for sure. That splitter might also be fucking you up. Have you ever tried running 1 dedicated line of new coax straight from the cable box on the outside of your home, into the house, and to the cable modem? Get your cable modem onto the absolute simplest connection possible from it to your outside cable box. If at that point your connection is still crap, with a new wire running straight from box to modem, then you could have a crap modem, or the problem is still outside the home(and thus your ISPs issue)