Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Brother in law swears by renting it from their ISP. They realize it would save them money otherwise, but the 2 different times they bought, the modem broke soon after the year warranty was up, and they had to buy another one. Well, either modem or router. So they just rent now, because when it breaks, they can just swap it out with their ISP.

I've had the same router DIR-655 for years and years, without problems, so I guess the moral is, buy cheap shit, get cheap shit results? I have no doubt the modems/routers they were buying were cheap as shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For you guys that have your own modem, do you have one you would recommend in particular? Or do we have a thread that discusses this already?
Motorola Surfboard docsis 3.0, which is now another company I guess? Just pick one up off Amazon, and you'll be ok.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
SB 6121. Does what it's supposed to, haven't had it fail in the two years I've had it.

Modem from ISP is basically just throwing your money away

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Bought a refurbed Motorola SB 6141 last year and it has given me no issues. Time Warner had once tried to blame a problem on it and told me that they couldn't help me unless I replaced it or rent one from them again. Turns out some asshole had cut some of the cable lines on the side of my building.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google fiber announced its coming to Raleigh so Time Warner just sent notice that it's upgrading my 20/5 service to 100/5 for free. They say I'll need a new modem though. Think it's worth it to continue to use theirs or should I buy my own? I think rental fee is like $8/mth for theirs.
You should probably get your own, I think Time Warner is giving out Arris modems now, and they are HORRIBLE

read this:
Service Providers(Internet TV) - Page 47

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah on Verizon we had some Arris modem and it was basically the worst thing ever, I bought my own surfboard with Verizon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looks like Comcast is jumping on the fiber bandwagon finally:

Imagine Where 2 Gigabit Speeds Will Take You

The downside???

rrr_img_102645.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Imagine if Comcast put the first sex robot on the market. That's how bad they are fucking you rather than you fucking them.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For you guys that have your own modem, do you have one you would recommend in particular? Or do we have a thread that discusses this already?
Just make sure you go to your ISP's website and check for a list of compatible modems. The motorola one seems to be the standard that everyone gets but just double check to make sure it will work on your network.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
They bumped us up over here to 75mbs for the blast level service. Costs $50 per month. They aren't enforcing caps in our area yet.

rrr_img_103920.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's actually not a joke, it's in several areas.

I wonder if those charges are so high because they're basically charging customers for them to install fiber.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's actually not a joke, it's in several areas.

I wonder if those charges are so high because they're basically charging customers for them to install fiber.
I'm sure they are charging customers for the fiber install, while collecting local, state and federal grant money to also pay for the install. Hell people in NY that still have verizon landlines have been paying a $1.95 more a month since 2009 because verizon was suppose to use that money to expand fios to the entire state and we all know that didn't happen. The huge amount of corruption in telecommunications industry astounds me

I think this will really help rural areas get connected. It sound pretty promising
Thurman, N.Y. White Space Rural Broadband Wins "Most Innovative Project Award"

And I hope that the wiredwest approach for fiber to the home takes off in more local communities. A public co-op is the only way that we'll expand fiber to the home in most of the country. Telecoms will ignore small towns because there is no profit in it for them.