Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Gotcha. I suppose a few people watching HD movies at the same time could chew through some bandwidth pretty quick.

Also, is there really any difference in performance between using wireless internet and a physical cable? This post is making me sound like I've been living in the stone age forever (I suppose I have lol) but last time I had good internet service I always used a cable.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Wired is the best way to go whenever possible.

While I could live off 25 mbps, I'm glad things are no longer that slow when I'm downloading 25-50 GB games off of Steam. I just wish I had more options to increase upload. With Spectrum I have to upgrade to their 400 mbps service to get more than their standard 5 mbps upload.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Wired is the best way to go whenever possible.

While I could live off 25 mbps, I'm glad things are no longer that slow when I'm downloading 25-50 GB games off of Steam. I just wish I had more options to increase upload. With Spectrum I have to upgrade to their 400 mbps service to get more than their standard 5 mbps upload.

Ditto on wanting more upload. I work from home and I usually have to generate lots of content to put up into our content controllers and when I've got 100+ packages to send up, that 5mb is just not really doing it for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
7532040172.png

FeelsGoodMan.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I can't even run speedtest.net on my satellite internet anymore. Apparently the website can't believe that people have a 1000ms ping in this day and age.

Untitled.png

• 2Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is me connected through a little cheap USB wireless adapter on my desktop. I'm pretty happy with it, I only pay $50 and it'll never go up.

8115379712.png

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I know this is going to be pathetic compared to most people here, but Viasat recently launched a new satellite and it's been a pretty major improvement over what I had before. More importantly than the regular speed, it still generally hits around 5mbps after I reach my data cap (35GB/Month) so I can still stream youtube and low res netflix after I break the cap. It's not much, but my old internet got throttled to less than 1Mbps after 15 gigs which made it almost unusable.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've heard that a lot, that 5G is totally impractical anywhere except the most densely populated areas although that's where it's most needed anyway. That won't stop the providers from telling us all we're on 5G for marketing reasons in the next couple years. AT&T has started doing it already.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Are "modem rental" fees pretty much baked into every ISP package at this point?

My options in SoCal are Spectrum (whom i currently have but has gotten retarded with their fees) and Frontier who automatically tacks on a $10/mo modem charge whether you use theirs or not.

Anyone in SoCal who knows of another ISP? Im having a hard time believing that entire Socal has only 2 internet providers or that theres no way to get around this retarded modem fee.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Are "modem rental" fees pretty much baked into every ISP package at this point?

My options in SoCal are Spectrum (whom i currently have but has gotten retarded with their fees) and Frontier who automatically tacks on a $10/mo modem charge whether you use theirs or not.

Anyone in SoCal who knows of another ISP? Im having a hard time believing that entire Socal has only 2 internet providers or that theres no way to get around this retarded modem fee.

AT&T doesn't charge extra for modems.

Never mind, looks like they may have started now. Been with them for 2 years, so my plan is probably grandfathered.

Last edited:

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Anyone live in the Minneapolis area? I'll be moving there later this year and am curious about internet provider options there. Any recommendations? I'm not looking for fiber optic or anything. Just something middle-ground speed with a reasonable price.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Probably one of the very, very few advantages of an HOA is they sometimes negotiate bulk rates from service providers. I just got my internet speed increased to 75 mb/s, 300 channels, HBO, Cinemax, Netflix, sports package (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, SEC, Big 10) and 4 DVRs for my house through my HOA plan for $69/month